The Student Room Group

Unexpected and pretty awful

My predicted grades this year were AAAA in chemistry, biology, maths, psychology. My teachers believed that this was possible and all my mocks were coming back as this. I sat the exams and thought I'd done well, excluding the C2 maths exam and my unit 1 chemistry.

Anyway, I just got back my grades and they're the following.
Maths - D
Chemistry - U
Psychology - D
Biology - C

As you can see they're a lot lower than what I was expecting... The annoying thing is that I needed one more mark for a C in psychology and 3 more marks for a C in maths. However, I didn't achieve higher than a C in any of my exams. I'm going to get my scripts back as I'm not certain that it's been marked right but I don't know what else to do.

I was looking at studying biomedical science but that no longer seems like a possibility which is quite distressing. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I would retake the year. You're obviously very intelligent with a lot of potential and frankly I wouldn't waste that potential doing a course you don't like at a bad university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly, don't worry too much, something along these lines has happened to me. The best advice is start revising now and work really hard. You will always be a able to get into a uni, I know someone with BCC and they are doing chemistry at Hull through clearing. Unfortunately a lot of the grades at alevel are a combination of luck and work as if you were to retake who knows what grades you will get as it only takes one paper to screw you over... :frown: good luck! Do ask any more questions if need be :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apply to uni next year, resit some AS exams and work hard to bring your grades up at A2.
Original post by Miffins123
I would retake the year. You're obviously very intelligent with a lot of potential and frankly I wouldn't waste that potential doing a course you don't like at a bad university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. This was an option that have looked into a lot in the past few days and is something I'm definitely considering.
Original post by qwerasdfzxcv1234
Firstly, don't worry too much, something along these lines has happened to me. The best advice is start revising now and work really hard. You will always be a able to get into a uni, I know someone with BCC and they are doing chemistry at Hull through clearing. Unfortunately a lot of the grades at alevel are a combination of luck and work as if you were to retake who knows what grades you will get as it only takes one paper to screw you over... :frown: good luck! Do ask any more questions if need be :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's very reassuring :smile: yeah I think I agree with that, I worked really hard and it didn't pay off so hopefully it was just down to bad luck
Original post by h3isenberg
Apply to uni next year, resit some AS exams and work hard to bring your grades up at A2.

Yeah something that I'm considering. I'm definitely going to retake some exams at least. Thanks.
Hi, there would you know how long it takes for an A level priority remark on Biology as I had a C and was expecting for a B, as I am3 ums marks of a b. Thanks
Reply 8

Original post by Babuthikra
Hi, there would you know how long it takes for an A level priority remark on Biology as I had a C and was expecting for a B, as I am3 ums marks of a b. Thanks

It takes about a week usually, sometimes a little more.

For OP I would either redo the whole AS year (I know it isn't what most want to do) but it might be best especially if you feel you are a straight A student. Or retake a lot of exams at at A2 but that could mean a lot of work and stress.
Original post by FragmentedStar
My predicted grades this year were AAAA in chemistry, biology, maths, psychology. My teachers believed that this was possible and all my mocks were coming back as this. I sat the exams and thought I'd done well, excluding the C2 maths exam and my unit 1 chemistry.

Maths - D
Chemistry - U
Psychology - D
Biology - C

As you can see they're a lot lower than what I was expecting... The annoying thing is that I needed one more mark for a C in psychology and 3 more marks for a C in maths. However, I didn't achieve higher than a C in any of my exams. I'm going to get my scripts back as I'm not certain that it's been marked right but I don't know what else to do.

I was looking at studying biomedical science but that no longer seems like a possibility which is quite distressing. Any suggestions?

Thanks

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it.
Reply 10
Don't mess about with Chemistry, I wasted my 2 years on it

Maths - D
Chemistry - U
Psychology - D
Biology - C

Thanks

You could try a foundation year? I ****ed up my A-levels badly but got onto a physics course via a foundation year and never looked back.
Original post by Merdan

This. Stay well clear of it if you struggled with it at AS. I think most people agree that it's one of the hardest A-levels out there.
Reply 13
Original post by tahtahspo
This. Stay well clear of it if you struggled with it at AS. I think most people agree that it's one of the hardest A-levels out there.

It's my worst mistake, If I wasn't too stupid to choose chemistry instead of further maths, I wouldn't be regretting now...
Original post by chem@uni

It takes about a week usually, sometimes a little more.

For OP I would either redo the whole AS year (I know it isn't what most want to do) but it might be best especially if you feel you are a straight A student. Or retake a lot of exams at at A2 but that could mean a lot of work and stress.

Original post by Babuthikra

Yeah I didn't know about that either but I want my psychology remarked :smile:

Yeah I know and I could do without the additional stress tbh.

Original post by German123
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it.

I suppose you're right :smile: thank you. Although I wasn't looking to apply to Oxford or Cambridge anyway.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
You could try a foundation year? I ****ed up my A-levels badly but got onto a physics course via a foundation year and never looked back.

I don't really know what I'd do that foundation year in though :/
Original post by Merdan

Original post by tahtahspo

Original post by Merdan
It's my worst mistake, If I wasn't too stupid to choose chemistry instead of further maths, I wouldn't be regretting now...

Yeah well I hated every second of this year and today I managed to find some biomedical science courses that don't require you to have chemistry so I'm just going to stop with it :smile: thanks
I suppose you're right :smile: thank you. Although I wasn't looking to apply to Oxford or Cambridge anyway.

:smile:
Original post by Merdan

Same here. I naively thought I'd actually get a better grade at A2 than I did at AS which was a B, given that I'd put in hardwork which I did.. to no avail. Seriously, one of the worst decisions I've made.

Yeah well I hated every second of this year and today I managed to find some biomedical science courses that don't require you to have chemistry so I'm just going to stop with it :smile: thanks

Thats good to know. Are you planning on retaking year 12 then? I would definitely recommend doing that, as retaking AS's whilst doing your A2s is extremely stressful and definitely not worthwhile.

Quick Reply

Latest