The Student Room Group

Should sixth form's have a uniform?

Scroll to see replies

I think not wearing a uniform means you're a bit more mature than the younger kids.
I prefer non-uniform because I may not like the look of the uniform on me I want to look different not the same as most of my peers and the little kids below me
Really having to wear business clothes to a 6th form college is really no big deal and it's not obvious it just looks like your going to work every day

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school (state school sixth form) has a uniform which is different to the lower years, and definitely more mature. I really like it as I feel like I belong in my school and that we're all a unit, and I feel proud to represent school with it on. Also it's nice not having to choose what to wear..

Posted from TSR Mobile
We had to wear black and white, which I personally found a bit too broad as the rules were constantly changing as to what was allowed within that. I would have preferred a stricter dress code or proper uniform as that would stop some of the judgement of what people were wearing as it had done fairly successfully in the rest of the school, but that's just my opinion :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think there should be a dress code as such I.e no short skirt, shorts but with 6th formers they should have their own inidividual personality but at the same time be appropriate for the business environment

Posted from TSR Mobile
We didn't have a uniform at 6th form but we did have a dress code. To be honest though as long as you didn't look scruffy they were fairly happy. I remember they didn't like cut off jean shorts or football shirts. And girls obviously had to be sensible about the length of skirts and shorts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RFowler

Ever heard the phrase "correlation is not causation"? Uniform doesn't improve results or make people work better, it's just the more disciplined schools also tend to have uniform. The uniform part itself does not cause the difference.

Our sixth form gets good (higher than average) results and in many years sends one or two students to Oxford and Cambridge, and we don't have uniform. Sixth form uniform doesn't increase results, good quality teaching and plenty of revision does.

You have said it yourself, more disciplined schools have uniforms and discipline correlates to quality, thus meaning better schools have uniforms.
My school would practically be in a state of mass hysteria if one or two got into Oxbridge, as generally a bad year sees 15 go.
If a school only has one or two 'Oxbridge pupils' then the obvious suggestion would be that it isn't very good. This may not be down solely to the lack of uniform, but I bet there would be a difference in results if one was introduced.
My sixth form uniform is same as lower school but different coloured trimmings on blazer- pinstripe grey trousers (sponge bag)- slightly different tie. If you are a prefect you have an extra band on your sleeve (head of school has 3, prefects 2, every one else 1) then prefect tie. There is also colours tie, old boys tie (if your dad went), first XI tie, orchestra tie, head of house tie, and some more that nobody knows what they're for!
I went to a school which had a 6th form attached, and they required you to wear a uniform, and actually the students tended to like it. It was a slightly different uniform from the rest of the school, same colours, but the braiding on the blazers was thinner, the jumpers were black rather than grey, the ties were single colour with the school crest on, rather than diagonal stripes like the rest of the year. It all added to an edge of extra class. Because the uniforms looked quite stylish, people liked them, when you were younger you looked up to sixth formers and thought sixth form would be quite a cool place to be.

The most popular/controversial was the skirts for girls: whereas the 11-16 girls had to wear pleated skirts that were supposed to be close to knee length, the sixth form girls' skirts were tight mid thigh 'office chic' skirts. Also whereas all make up was banned for 11-16 year olds, sixth form girls were allowed to wear a small amount of subtle make up. These skirts were very popular with the girls as well as the boys, there was a big rumpus when the Head of Sixth Form tried to get the skirts changed, her argument was that teachers were told to go round telling the younger girls to stop rolling their skirts up at the waist, but they were seeing sixth formers going round in near mini skirts. On the taller girls they were pretty much like clubbing skirts. But our fairly liberal minded Headmaster wouldn't change them.

I remember when we were considering our post-GCSE options and people were talking about whether to stay on for sixth form or go to the local college, the usual argument would be "nah man go to college man, you don't have to wear a uniform" but our uniform actually looked impressive and I liked wearing it. I particularly liked it when I was playing for the school cricket team, our Headmaster was a huge cricket fan and when he got the job he made sure we had deals with cricket manufacturers to do jumpers and black traditional cloth cricket caps in the school colours and he insisted that on Saturday matches even if we didn't come in our school uniform, we always brought our blazers. We would play some of the posh private boys schools who turned up looking like a mish mash and our guys would walk in to the pavilion in immaculate whites, all in the school colour jumpers with our black caps and school blazers on, we looked like a 1930s England cricket team.
Reply 49
Mine sadly does, and thats a reason why I'm kind of reluctant to join. Its smart business, and unfortunately very limited also. Its not very affordable.
Original post by Lord Harold
You have said it yourself, more disciplined schools have uniforms and discipline correlates to quality, thus meaning better schools have uniforms.
My school would practically be in a state of mass hysteria if one or two got into Oxbridge, as generally a bad year sees 15 go.
If a school only has one or two 'Oxbridge pupils' then the obvious suggestion would be that it isn't very good. This may not be down solely to the lack of uniform, but I bet there would be a difference in results if one was introduced.

And it is entirely possible to have a well disciplined school without uniform at sixth form, as many sixth forms do. Uniform itself does not have any impact on results.
Reply 51
One has to bear in mind that many pupils at the sixth form will only be at the school for two years and thus it seems unfair, particularly for poorer students, to require that they buy a (potentially quite expensive) set of uniforms for such a short period.
Original post by RFowler
And it is entirely possible to have a well disciplined school without uniform at sixth form, as many sixth forms do. Uniform itself does not have any impact on results.

I still think it does. It gives students a sense that they are still in education and therefore required to give their full attention and effort. Without uniform the attitude is one of apathy and half-heartedness towards learning.
I disagree, I like hot chicks that come in hot pants, leggings, tight jeans and see through tops! :wink:
Reply 54
No.

Mine didn't and it helped the working environment massively. Teachers expected more from us, we weren't spoon-fed material, we were given license to be mature and independent and it set us up for further education pretty well.
There are pros and cons to sixth forms having uniforms so I see the point of both sides of the discussion. However, I go to a sixth form without a uniform and there is the benefit of expressing yourself through style and getting used to not being told how to dress in preparation for being an adult.
Reply 56
Original post by $$$stackemup$$$
I disagree, I like hot chicks that come in hot pants, leggings, tight jeans and see through tops! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGqhcbv2qls

You legend.
Reply 57
Posted from TSR Mobile

My sixth form never had any sort of uniform or dress code and i noticed that i felt more comfortable in myself as i had always felt stupid in a school uniform and i think it was good at seperating sixth formers from the school students

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending