The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Don't you child, I will be there for you:biggrin:

What options are you taking?

Exactly:wink:

Haha I just don't feel like a child

Level 2 Further Additional Maths, Triple Science, Statistics, Geology, English Language, English Literature and Engineering.
Original post by Mr...
Sure :rolleyes:

:colonhash:
Original post by Mr...
By German I assume you're being held against your will by karmacrunch. I know you want to pick French :wink:

:colonhash::colonhash: ^^ I mean just look how horrible you are as well.
Original post by PaulHugh
I pretty much self teach it. I have a few university level Science books :biggrin:

I find self-teaching much more effective for me.

Ah okay! I think that's a really good idea. Probably what I should have done- spread out my work properly over the holidays. Oh well, I can learn from that. :redface:

Same and as long as you understand it, it works!

Original post by PaulHugh
All these names make me hungry. Pi, Vanilla cupcake etc :smile:

I agree! :yep:
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
Tired :smile: I'm going to Thorpe Park today/tomorrow, so that'll be fun :awesome:
What about you?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to Thorpe Park in a few weeks (1st time actually). I'm excited for that.
I'm hysterical on rollercoasters. :colondollar:

I'm fine thanks. Tidying my room... slowly, and then I'm going to finish the work we've been given. :tongue:
Original post by Black Rose
Glad you got rid of all your letters guys :yy: Though you could have just passed (that finishes the game) Sorry I couldn't finish the game :frown:

Dw :hugs:

I don't think I'm going to be playing thay game for a while though... Such a long game!! :tongue:
Original post by DaisyTwilight
Wow, I haven't looked at this post since yesterday afternoon and there are so many posts :redface: Just letting you know that I'm going away for a few days, so I might not be very active :P
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, that's fine dw. See you! :yep:
Still children in my eyes, could be a day younger or could be almost 24 months :biggrin:

I bet that you're not even a year older than me. :colonhash:
Original post by Vionar
For the sake of paying for tickets and stuff, hold onto being a child for as long as possible!
Posted from TSR Mobile

That hardly works for me anymore. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
Hey everybody and welcome to the new thread! We are finally in Year 10… :woo:

Firstly, I'm very sorry for the delay! :colondollar: On a better note we reached 100 pages on the last thread. We are... EPIC. :colonhash:

Spoiler

Secondly, everyone is welcome but don’t be rude (that includes lots of spamming) nor rude to other members please.

Thirdly, if you are in Year 10 (1999/2000) please feel free to join our group! All details are there. Here is the link-
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=2726

Some resources-

Spoiler

To break the ice…
- Introduce yourself!
- What subjects are you taking?
- What are you hoping to do after finishing Year 11? (You don’t have to answer at all, nothing is probably concrete anyway as we’re only in Year 10 :biggrin:)
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- How do you feel about going into Year 10?
- (If you’d like) Favourite smiley?

My Reply-

Spoiler

Thank you
karmacrunch xx
PS. Please tell me if I have missed anything or if you want to suggest any ideas just quote me!

:grouphugs:

9 Members from the Year thread:

Hello I am Becca and I am in Year 11:smile:
For Gcses I took IT,Art,Geography,History,Media 1, Media 2, English Lit,English Language,Corse Science, Additional Science
I have some tips for the Year 10s for starting gcses,revision etc

My tips for starting GCSE :-) xx

you'll be learining everything that could come up in your exam. You may do end of topic tests, mocks and closer to your exams do practice papers. For the rest of your other subjects basically the same- learning what you need to know in the exam but also familiarising yourself with the subject and how to answer exam questions etc. For subjects like English you will have coursework and you do a lot of your coursework in Year 10.

-Do your best in your coursework (it can higher your grade quite considerably)
-Try get the coursework out of the way so you're not stressing with deadlines and when you have a 100000 other commitments
-Pay attention in class so when nearer to the time of exams, all you're learning is stuff you already know (this will also make you feel abit more stress free for exam time)
-If you're given a rubbish target grade, don't listen to it, you can do sooo much better!
-Don't worry about being exam ready, there is plenty of time to pratice,perfect. (It is quite funny in Year 11 reading your first ever coursework essay that you wrote at the start of Year 10 because you improve so much!)
-Enjoy yourself, enjoy your subjects.
-You don't need to start stressing yet, you have plenty of time to learn all you need to know in time for the exams.
-Do the best you can in your science exams (A lot of people in my year didn't really take it seriously and didn't listen in class so they had to retake the exams in Year 11 which made them have even more exams along with the massive work load :/ )

Some good resource sites for Science Edexcel board (not sure what board you're doing)
-Pearson Active Learn

Other good sites for GCSE
-SAMlearning
-BBC Bitesize

For revision-

-Start revising as early as possible,this will make when you go through things in lessons more clearer. Go through things more than three times.

-Have regular breaks. When your concentration span has gone, nothing will go in! So work for 20-30 minutes and then have a 15 minute break.

-Plan what hours you work best at. I find I work best in the evening, so I plan an early tea and get everything I need to get done in the day.

-plan treats for yourself for working so you have something to look forward to. Go see friends,relax,cinema. Plenty of sleep to let you absorb the info.

-Sites such as Pearson active learn,GCSE Sam, BBC bitesize are super helpful for GCSE year 10 Core Science. You can watch videos, play games, do quizzes.

- try out different techniques of learning= writing, mind mapping,drawing,listening, watching

-colourful posters around the house, might jog your memory in the exam!

-what colours do you pick up best? For example I don't pick out yellows too well so I don't use yellow when mind mapping.

-healthy diet= yummy home made food, fruit snacks

-exercise= go for walks, a morning run, fresh air

-limit your internet use=take away your phone, facebook,twitter to avoid distractions and then have it back once you have done the amount of work as a reward

-set reasonable goals for yourself (is working non stop for 6 hours reasonable? You need breaks!

-make some sacrifices...remember once the exams are over you have 6 weeks of free time doing nothing yaaaay summer holidays!

-don't stay up revising till super late at night, you need time to process the info and beauty sleep!!

-time table your hours= say you do 20 minutes of biology in the morning, and some physics in the afternoon

-colour coding might help

-make rhymes, songs whatever helps to remember things!

-don't panic yourself, you will do fine, work hard, look after yourself, reward yourself, have plenty of breaks

Hope I helped you guys:smile:

Year 10 was my favourite year in Secondary school, you have a lot to look forward to
I wish you all the best for GCSE. I loved GCSE, tough at times near the end but as long as you work hard, it will pay off:smile:

I am collecting my Year 11 results in less than a week! It is good to start revising early, that's what I did :-) x x

All the best x x
Original post by CactiQueen
x

Oh my goodness, wow!! :ahee:

Thank you so much. I've read through all and it's really helpful. I'm sure a lot of our doubts will be taken away from reading this!
Can I ask which board you were on for Geography? Also, do you mind me putting this on the OP? :biggrin:

Thank you again and good luck for your results day! ^_^ xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
Well I am freakishly tall :tongue:

How tall is freakishly tall? :tongue:

That hardly works for me anymore. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're just not doing it properly :colonhash:
Original post by Vionar
How tall is freakishly tall? :tongue:

You're just not doing it properly :colonhash:

I think he's over 6ft now.

I don't do anything C :tongue:
E.g. I went to the cinema last week. They charged me adult ticket and I said no. They then gave me a card which is 16+. I can't even use it properly. The struggle. :rolleyes:

How am I supposed to do it then? I need to give you a nickname!! :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh my goodness, wow!! :ahee:

Thank you so much. I've read through all and it's really helpful. I'm sure a lot of our doubts will be taken away from reading this!
Can I ask which board you were on for Geography? Also, do you mind me putting this on the OP? :biggrin:

Thank you again and good luck for your results day! ^_^ xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome and thankyou:smile:
Yeah sure but could you give me credit, thankyou:biggrin: xxx

E.g. I went to the cinema last week. They charged me adult ticket and I said no. They then gave me a card which is 16+. I can't even use it properly. The struggle. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not freakish :redface:

You're doing it all wrong :eek:

I can't be bothered to explain :tongue: Go ahead :tongue:
Original post by CactiQueen
You're welcome and thankyou:smile:
Yeah sure but could you give me credit, thankyou:biggrin: xxx

I'll give you rep when I'm on my laptop and I'll copy this into the OP then! :redface:

Yore welcome and this is really helpful so thank you, genuinely! Good luck again! Xxx
Original post by Vionar
That's not freakish :redface:

You're doing it all wrong :eek:

I can't be bothered to explain :tongue: Go ahead :tongue:

I know, idk that's his opinion but 6ft+ is pretty tall for a 14 year old guy. (Not freakish though) :tongue:

How??? :O I don't do anything, I've been mistaken for an adult too many times. There's no going back I'm afraid. :laugh:

Hmm... Bare with and I'll think of one soon. :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 5'11 and still growing :biggrin:

I know, idk that's his opinion but 6ft+ is pretty tall for a 14 year old guy. (Not freakish though) :tongue:

How??? :O I don't do anything, I've been mistaken for an adult too many times. There's no going back I'm afraid. :laugh:

Hmm... Bare with and I'll think of one soon. :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is tall, but not freakish :redface:

It's probably your eyes, the eyes say it all :ninja:

Yaaay :tongue:
Still children in my eyes, could be a day younger or could be almost 24 months :biggrin:
I don't think they can be a day younger :tongue:

Original post by Vionar
I was not going to leave that game without getting rid of all my letters! :eek:

That's what makes it longer :tongue:

Dw :hugs:

I don't think I'm going to be playing thay game for a while though... Such a long game!! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesn't usually take up to 5 hours :lol: I think it was because of the disruptions here we had that made it longer :yep: Next time I'll put the timer on :mmm:

Original post by Vionar
For the sake of paying for tickets and stuff, hold onto being a child for as long as possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one thinks I'm 15, I got mistaken for someone in Year 8 a while ago :unimpressed:
Original post by Mr...
My height is equal to or more than 6ft

You should say more than or equal to, otherwise that looks weird :redface:

That's what makes it longer :tongue:

No one thinks I'm 15, I got mistaken for someone in Year 8 a while ago :unimpressed:

Yeah but it makes it fun :biggrin:

:lol: I'm guessing you're pretty small? :biggrin:
Original post by Mr...
I know... I was in a rush sorry :facepalm:

In a rush so you do everything backwards? :tongue:
Original post by Vionar
Yeah but it makes it fun :biggrin:

:lol: I'm guessing you're pretty small? :biggrin:

Fair enough. I think the timer would make it more fun and speed things up though. Having to think of words with a certain amounts of time :colone:

Yup. 5ft :sad:
Fair enough. I think the timer would make it more fun and speed things up though. Having to think of words with a certain amounts of time :colone:

Yup. 5ft :sad:

It would make it fun and speed it up, though I'd probably panic a lot :tongue: But panicking can be fun, in moderation :biggrin:

:hugs:
Original post by Vionar
It would make it fun and speed it up, though I'd probably panic a lot :tongue: But panicking can be fun, in moderation :biggrin:

:hugs:
This will be interesting to see :colone:

Original post by Mr...
Don't worry Amy, you'll grow :console:

I hope so :sadnod:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr...
Yep :yep:

Spoiler

Maybe just a whiff :mmm:
Thi will be interesting to see :colone: