The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Lupton Accomodation 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abblecrumble
I've just moved out of Lupton so have done the whole freshers year there! :smile: It's a lovely place. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Hey! Good to hear you've had a good time in lupton :smile:

Just wondering do you mainly stick to your block or mix with others? I'm with all healthcare students I think so would be cool to get to know people in other blocks too.

Erm.. Also how did you manage with sharing bathroom and kitchen? I imagine it'll be fine to be honest though :smile:

Ooh and also is there like a halls bar or anything or do you just have to go elsewhere? Cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
Original post by missphoenix
Haha yeah :smile: it's kinda not quite Geordie accent not quite yorkshire - something in between although most southerners tend to think it's quite Geordie - just no where near as strong :smile:

Thanks for the tip! Not sure I'll ever be able to afford living round that way mind, but I can dream haha

I went to uni when I was 18 but totally chose the wrong thing (history) and just wasn't in to it at all so left after a term or so. Then I worked for a bit in a pub back home, then ended up going to canada for 7 months to work/learn how to ski with a friend and applied to uni when I was there, so now I'm just working back in the pub over the summer till I go :smile:

After I first left uni I was going to apply but kept putting it off but now I think I'm finally ready to give it a proper go!

What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like an interesting accent to be fair lol but I like the Geordie accent it's so funny. But if it's not strong then you might have the perfect accent mind!

I'm sure you'll have enough money one day enough to enjoy the best parts of London, but either way in every part of London there's some beautiful parts.

It's always the worst thing when you don't enjoy the subject I can imagine that situation, was it the same university or?? Wow so you've been doing a lot, I've got family down Canada and it's so cool down there ( and it is literally as well). I wanna learn how to ski!! You've definitely been having fun.

So I guess now that your back to uni with real determination to do well, which I'm sure is a way better mindset then you was, when you were 18 right?

I've been working in a school for nearly three years now and doing a new course in children and young peoples workforce ( as I wanna do either child psychology or childhood and youth studies) earlier I was doing interactive media but I changed career plans and that's about it.
Hey! Good to hear you've had a good time in lupton :smile:

Just wondering do you mainly stick to your block or mix with others? I'm with all healthcare students I think so would be cool to get to know people in other blocks too.

Erm.. Also how did you manage with sharing bathroom and kitchen? I imagine it'll be fine to be honest though :smile:

Ooh and also is there like a halls bar or anything or do you just have to go elsewhere? Cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't really mix with that many people in my block, some people did though. You will find that you mostly hang around with people on your course or your flatmates (if you're lucky enough to get on with them). My twin sister was also in Lupton in another block so her 'favourite' flatmate and mine became friends and we had a nice little group. :colondollar:

Sharing the bathroom was not an issue at all. It's usually free when you want it. The toilet and shower are separated in their own cubicles within the room anyway. However, we just locked the main door! However, I did have my showers in the evening and my flatmates had theirs in a morning. Then again, they would wake up at different times! Depends on your schedules. :wink: Most you're going to have to wait though is twenty minutes.

Sharing a kitchen is ok, apart from when your flatmates have their friends over and you want to use the oven to make your dinner. :tongue: You just have to hope yours are tidy and considerate!

We just used to hang around in each others' kitchens because there wasn't a common room. There are loads of pubs, cafés and restaurants in Headingley though, so don't worry about places to go.

:smile: I hope that was helpful!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jsuccess
That sounds like an interesting accent to be fair lol but I like the Geordie accent it's so funny. But if it's not strong then you might have the perfect accent mind!

I'm sure you'll have enough money one day enough to enjoy the best parts of London, but either way in every part of London there's some beautiful parts.

It's always the worst thing when you don't enjoy the subject I can imagine that situation, was it the same university or?? Wow so you've been doing a lot, I've got family down Canada and it's so cool down there ( and it is literally as well). I wanna learn how to ski!! You've definitely been having fun.

So I guess now that your back to uni with real determination to do well, which I'm sure is a way better mindset then you was, when you were 18 right?

I've been working in a school for nearly three years now and doing a new course in children and young peoples workforce ( as I wanna do either child psychology or childhood and youth studies) earlier I was doing interactive media but I changed career plans and that's about it.

Defs not a perfect accent haha! Proper Geordies a lot better for sure!

Aye hopefully, I'd like to just visit more often if not :smile:

Oh god yeah, it was all a bit of a nightmare. I was in Manchester. I enjoyed it really - just not any of the actual uni stuff, just the nights out! I was just burnt out from a levels I think and hated doing any work! But yeah I'm definitely different now, 100 percent different mindset.

Yeah canada was cool haha :tongue: but seriously it was really fun, where abouts are your family living? I was in BC so it was beautiful! Skiings a lot of fun but it was my first season and a month or so in I actually shattered my knee cap going into a tree! It's a lot more dangerous than I'd anticipated tbf so make sure you're careful if you ever go!!

Ah sounds like you've been busy too. Did you teach in the school? Sounds like you're pretty certain on what you want to do too :smile: I think that's a big plus before starting, should help us keep pretty focused I reckon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't really mix with that many people in my block, some people did though. You will find that you mostly hang around with people on your course or your flatmates (if you're lucky enough to get on with them). My twin sister was also in Lupton in another block so her 'favourite' flatmate and mine became friends and we had a nice little group. :colondollar:

Sharing the bathroom was not an issue at all. It's usually free when you want it. The toilet and shower are separated in their own cubicles within the room anyway. However, we just locked the main door! However, I did have my showers in the evening and my flatmates had theirs in a morning. Then again, they would wake up at different times! Depends on your schedules. :wink: Most you're going to have to wait though is twenty minutes.

Sharing a kitchen is ok, apart from when your flatmates have their friends over and you want to use the oven to make your dinner. :tongue: You just have to hope yours are tidy and considerate!

We just used to hang around in each others' kitchens because there wasn't a common room. There are loads of pubs, cafés and restaurants in Headingley though, so don't worry about places to go.

:smile: I hope that was helpful!

Yeah I guess it just depends really who you end up hanging with :smile:

Aw sound a like it was all pretty smooth sailing sharing wise too.

Alright, yeah I guess if it's in the student area it'll be busy and have plenty if places to go. I actually haven't visited the halls so not sure what to expect.

Thanks, very helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I'm in Lupton too! E block :smile:
Original post by justBeth

Awesome! I'm in H :smile:

What you studying then? (P.s Im also called Beth haha)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey i'm in block E too.
Reply 28
Awesome! I'm in H :smile:

What you studying then? (P.s Im also called Beth haha)

Posted from TSR Mobile

fashion design, you? :biggrin: hahaa good name :wink:
Reply 29
Original post by Marantin0
Hey i'm in block E too.

Cool! :smile: what course are you doing ?
Cool! :smile: what course are you doing ?

Electrical and Electronic Engineering. You?
Reply 31
Original post by Marantin0
Electrical and Electronic Engineering. You?

aww cool, i'm doing fashion design :smile:
fashion design, you? :biggrin: hahaa good name :wink:

Nice course :smile: Haha great name :P

Diagnostic radiography :smile:

Getting way to excited to start now :smile: do you have an unconditional offer too then, is that whay you know your accommodation already?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Nice course :smile: Haha great name :P

Diagnostic radiography :smile:

Getting way to excited to start now :smile: do you have an unconditional offer too then, is that whay you know your accommodation already?

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow that sounds interesting!! :smile: Yeah I've got an unconditional, got my a level results last year, been doing an art foundation and working this year :smile: same! can't wait to properly go to uni!! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
I've just moved out of Lupton so have done the whole freshers year there! :smile: It's a lovely place. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Hello Abblecrumble
I was really disappointed to be allocated Lupton, but I guess we just have to keep an open mind. The area looks fun, but such a hike to lectures
A few questions - are the flats mainly mixed or single sex?
I seem to be on the third floor. How many floors in each block and is it lift or stairs?
Are the rooms and kitchens a bit grotty or is it reasonably clean and most things ( cookers/showers etc etc ) work?
Was your room big enough?
Is WiFi good?
Were there many medical students in Lupton?
Thanks a lot :smile:
It's where I applied... haven't received any info about it just yet.
Do they group you randomly or by course?

Original post by TooIndecisive
A few questions - are the flats mainly mixed or single sex?

On your application you should have either ticked or left unticked "consider me for a mixed gender flat" (paraphrasing)
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, I've just been allocated Lupton - it wasn't my first choice but I'm sure it'll be fine! I'm in block A by the way
Block A for me - does anyone know where abouts on the lupton site this is?
Original post by thegeneration
Block A for me - does anyone know where abouts on the lupton site this is?

Hi! I'm block A too but I've got no idea where abouts it is
Original post by auden1996
Hi! I'm block A too but I've got no idea where abouts it is

Have you asked to be in a mixed gender flat or just boys/girls? I'm in A2:11. I don't know which number the flat is and which the room is haha.

Quick Reply

Latest