The Student Room Group

Do A levels matter?

Hi everyone, i have 2 options A) go to a low ranked university with low grade A levels or B) take a gap year and retake certain modules, i personally want to get away and get to university as soon as possible and dont feel a gap year is the one for me but if it means me not getting into a career as an investment banker i wouldnt mind to wait another year, in my AS i achieved AAC including an A in economics, however when it came to my A2s i was very unwell (had surgery) during exam period which caused me to become unwell, this did effect me during my exams as i spent most my days in a hospital bed and only left to go into school for the exams, i came out with Es/Ds in my A2s despite getting As/Cs in my january mocks, my predicted grades were AAC however because of the outcome it caused my overall grades to fall to DDD, therefore i didnt get into nottingham or city university, i went into clearing and go an offer from very low ranked universities, but will this affect me in e.g. applying to a jp morgan graduate scheme providing i get a 1st at university, do A levels matter? or would i be required to retake the modules baring in mind i would be allowed to come into school and would have to do all my prep throughout the year by myself? as i havent seen an ucas requirements on jp morgans graduate scheme just a 2:1 is required i believe, any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
*I wouldn't be allowed to come into school* only for exams next june/july
Yeah, whether you like it or hate it they do. Just do the best you can, don't limit yourself or look for excuses. Unless you can find alternative routes to the place you want to get to that is.
Reply 3
L
Original post by harry218
Hi everyone, i have 2 options A) go to a low ranked university with low grade A levels or B) take a gap year and retake certain modules, i personally want to get away and get to university as soon as possible and dont feel a gap year is the one for me but if it means me not getting into a career as an investment banker i wouldnt mind to wait another year, in my AS i achieved AAC including an A in economics, however when it came to my A2s i was very unwell (had surgery) during exam period which caused me to become unwell, this did effect me during my exams as i spent most my days in a hospital bed and only left to go into school for the exams, i came out with Es/Ds in my A2s despite getting As/Cs in my january mocks, my predicted grades were AAC however because of the outcome it caused my overall grades to fall to DDD, therefore i didnt get into nottingham or city university, i went into clearing and go an offer from very low ranked universities, but will this affect me in e.g. applying to a jp morgan graduate scheme providing i get a 1st at university, do A levels matter? or would i be required to retake the modules baring in mind i would be allowed to come into school and would have to do all my prep throughout the year by myself? as i havent seen an ucas requirements on jp morgans graduate scheme just a 2:1 is required i believe, any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Many firms have minimum ucas points requirements (usually AAB equiv). I would retake and go to a better university

Also, better university--> more likely to get to a better firm, ceteris paribus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thank you for all the advice yeah i think i will take the gap year and retake the exams and re apply next year, considering i have the offers from a low ranked uni now shall i defer it to next year and then just go into clearing and look for any good university in there or shall i completely withdraw and re apply?
Definitely retake if you want to go into banking.
Reply 6

Sorry, I only read the first paragraph.
OK yeah im retaking the exams thanks for the advice! I hope to get around 280-320 ucas points in my 3 a levels, whats all your thoughts on universities, i wont be applying to top universities but im thinking to go city to study banking and finance
Reply 8
OK yeah im retaking the exams thanks for the advice! I hope to get around 280-320 ucas points in my 3 a levels, whats all your thoughts on universities, i wont be applying to top universities but im thinking to go city to study banking and finance

City or Cass, I thought banking and finance there was AAA
Original post by Hobes1
City or Cass, I thought banking and finance there was AAA

Cass yeah, it is originally AAA however when i called up in clearing they told me they were willing to go down to BBB!
Reply 10
Cass yeah, it is originally AAA however when i called up in clearing they told me they were willing to go down to BBB!

Sigh - stories like this make me feel bad for people who do make the grades and choose a course like this (no offense OP).

Universities should be forced to be transparent in these matters.

Are you for real?

I got A*A*A and worked my ass off this year to get in to Cass who offered me AAA.

Original post by M1011
Sigh - stories like this make me feel bad for people who do make the grades and choose a course like this (no offense OP).

Universities should be forced to be transparent in these matters.

This. Kinda makes me feel like I've wasted my efforts.. -_- Nonetheless, I still like the course.

OP, generally if IB is what you're interested in they generally have a 340 UCAS cut off point (AAB) so just making sure you know.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Are you for real?

I got A*A*A and worked my ass off this year to get in to Cass who offered me AAA.

This. Kinda makes me feel like I've wasted my efforts.. -_- Nonetheless, I still like the course.

OP, generally if IB is what you're interested in they generally have a 340 UCAS cut off point (AAB) so just making sure you know.

No offence meant but nobody made you go to Cass. I'll maybe sound like an ass but in all sincerity, (and the offer shows this), with A*A*A I'd have leveraged my grades to go somewhere 'better'. There's a reason they're willing to go down to BBB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
No offence meant but nobody made you go to Cass. I'll maybe sound like an ass but in all sincerity, (and the offer shows this), with A*A*A I'd have leveraged my grades to go somewhere 'better'. There's a reason they're willing to go down to BBB

None taken. My academic history isn't the greatest anyway and the course is still something I'm interested in.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
None taken. My academic history isn't the greatest anyway and the course is still something I'm interested in.

why the hell would you go to cass with those grades? no offense bro but you absolutely killed it, not saying cass is bad...but those grades are oxbridge/lse standard.

take a gap year, do even more internships, apply to somewhere better and this time next year there will be no stopping you...of course after getting so hyped for uni i doubt there is any chance of you doing that but those are my two cents anyway
A*A*A well done man! If i was expecting them grades i defo would have applied to a top uni, however cass is still a great place to go so dont feel like you wasted your efforts, plus dont they have scholarships for students with them grades? Also i defo think it should be made clear the A level requirements for the graduate schemes in that case if they do require AAB, to stop candidate like myself in that case wasting their time, plus i dont want to sound like a **** but i do think the subject of the A level should be taken into account, I picked fairly hard A levels and am hoping to come out with 280+ ucas points next year, but i think that should be taken into account over someone who picked e.g. ict or business coursework ( no offence to anyone who took them )
Reply 16
Original post by Mr Chang
why the hell would you go to cass with those grades? no offense bro but you absolutely killed it, not saying cass is bad...but those grades are oxbridge/lse standard.

take a gap year, do even more internships, apply to somewhere better and this time next year there will be no stopping you...of course after getting so hyped for uni i doubt there is any chance of you doing that but those are my two cents anyway

grades is one thing only: you need an offer from those unis too, and that's not a walk in the park either (edit: it's not even that in the first place, its about credentials which you either have or don't have)

Taking a gap year to do even more internships... solid advice lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Szmessh
grades is one thing only: you need an offer from those unis too, and that's not a walk in the park either (edit: it's not even that in the first place, its about credentials which you either have or don't have)

Taking a gap year to do even more internships... solid advice lol

hes made it no secret that hes from a 'disadvantaged' background, he is an ethnic minority and has a*a*a at a level confirmed, with internships and insights at BB's. im pretty sure he would have no trouble securing an offer from top 6 lol.

also, are you being sarcastic about the gap year thing? (dont see why you would be, just seems like that given the overall tone of your post)
Reply 18
Original post by Mr Chang
hes made it no secret that hes from a 'disadvantaged' background, he is an ethnic minority and has a*a*a at a level confirmed, with internships and insights at BB's. im pretty sure he would have no trouble securing an offer from top 6 lol.

also, are you being sarcastic about the gap year thing? (dont see why you would be, just seems like that given the overall tone of your post)

Only reason why im arguing with this is my personal experience. Hell I had a strong profile and PS too (I really had), yet I was rejected from the targets I applied to. So I think there's more to this, like what else would he have on his profile apart from finance internships - he could play that card could basically only once, not to mention that uni tutors (basically) wouldn't care whether he spent these times at a BB or a botique. But still, you got a point, he'd be in a strong position.

What good doing even more internships would help in his case? Nothing, it'd be a year wasted. If he wants a gap year, do it for his own fun/new things/experience, and not because he wants more work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending