The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
I think too many people have in mind that this is supposed to be Arsenal's make or break season. That's absolute *******s. Our window so far stands at around 6/10 unless we end up getting a solid DMF it'd go up to 7/10. Our squad is still quite the distance away from the likes of Chelsea's and City's it's not even comparable. I'd say Arsenal are still in a transitional period as we've only just signed this PUMA deal and the club has only just started to sign these big players (Ozil, Sanchez). There's definitely more to come in the future over a long period so don't expect us to change from big game bottlers to title winning favourites in one window. Wenger has 3 years left at Arsenal and I can see him leaving the team in a very good position, and also leaving behind minimal work for the next manager.

We have not really gotten (much) stronger apart from Alexis. We have replaced Sagna with Debuchy. Replaced Fabianski with Ospina. Replaced TV5 with Chambers (as of the present time).

So, apart from with Sanchez... where have we actually strengthened?
Original post by hayles101
Jesus you lot need to cheer up. Imagine being a United fan right now and needing about 4 quality players to come in not 1.

Anyway Costa will get injured and Torres will have to play :colone:

That's it. :sexface:

Spoiler

Original post by Tom_Ford
We have not really gotten (much) stronger apart from Alexis. We have replaced Sagna with Debuchy. Replaced Fabianski with Ospina. Replaced TV5 with Chambers (as of the present time).

Have to agree really, although I think Chambers might turn out to be a terrific long term deal tbf. Really unhappy with Debuchy in all honesty, think that's a proper downgrade from Sagna.

On the other hand, Walcott genuinely is like a new signing and a full season from Ramsey will be worth 5 points imo.
That's it. :sexface:

Spoiler

heard eboracum is already tappin it
Original post by AR_95
I think too many people have in mind that this is supposed to be Arsenal's make or break season. That's absolute *******s. Our window so far stands at around 6/10 unless we end up getting a solid DMF it'd go up to 7/10. Our squad is still quite the distance away from the likes of Chelsea's and City's it's not even comparable. I'd say Arsenal are still in a transitional period as we've only just signed this PUMA deal and the club has only just started to sign these big players (Ozil, Sanchez). There's definitely more to come in the future over a long period so don't expect us to change from big game bottlers to title winning favourites in one window. Wenger has 3 years left at Arsenal and I can see him leaving the team in a very good position, and also leaving behind minimal work for the next manager.

Nonsense. There no excuses for us this season, in the last 2 years our best players have been tied down on long term contracts, no key players have left, we have money, we have spent big money and our debt is manageable.

We can't hide behind the word transition anymore after we lead the League for most of the last season "but for injuries" people say heck we've brought in a world renown fitness coach to deal with that. We need to re-establish our presence and our status in English football by winning the league. FA cup is all well and good but The league is the most important. 11 years mate is far too long.

I'll reserve judgement on the transfer window after it closes. We're not that far away for Chelsea and City, I'm sure AW will bring the right players.
Original post by Zürich
Have to agree really, although I think Chambers might turn out to be a terrific long term deal tbf. Really unhappy with Debuchy in all honesty, think that's a proper downgrade from Sagna.

On the other hand, Walcott genuinely is like a new signing and a full season from Ramsey will be worth 5 points imo.

Chambers will be here for at least the next ten years. He'll be part of the furniture soon enough.

Never rated Debuchy personally. And Sagna was on the way down too. So, lose/lose there. Debuchy is good enough going forward but defensively I find him to be really non dominant. I just find that he may just be a real weak link from set pieces and also general play. When he was playing for Newcastle the same gaps were there. He does not cover the ground behind him well enough. I think him, not Chambers, will cost us points this season.
Yeah, I get that, but he would be more useful if he stuck to attacking imo. If you just told him to focus on breaking the opposition down I think we'd see some crazy **** from him.

His work rate is one of his best aspects. Imo he's got good spacial awareness which means when attacking he can get in the right positions. Defending this won't affect this due to his stamina.

Original post by barneystin
Yeah he made more tackles per 90 mins than yaya Toure last season.

Yaya toure isnt really the best comparison due to how he has practically no defensive work rate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
heard eboracum is already tappin it

Nah mate, he's just keeping her warm for me. :colone:
Reply 4108
So, it seems as though this is how it'll end up in may, in terms of the top 4

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1408394782.699635.jpg
Original post by Xotol
Honestly hurts to see Cesc in blue. :sad:

Better get used to it mate.
Reply 4110

In fairness the Debucy and Chambers signings have been solid and I would say they're both improvements on what he had last season. Sagna was overrated imo and only started to have a good performance last season but Debuchy looks much more potent going forward already even though he's only been here for a few weeks. Chambers was also a great signing and you start to wonder whether UTD actually signed the right defender from Southampton. Chambers has the potential to overtake Vermaelen very quickly even if he isn't there yet. Ospina is also the perfect back up to have right now.

If we were asked a month prior to the world cup if we wanted Sanchez over a striker I'm sure the majority would have said no. Sanchez is a good player and a good signing none the less but he's really just an upgrade on Cazorla (which was needed as I don't want to see Cazorla and Ozil start a single match next season). We're still lacking a striker (though Giroud isn't the worst option to have). He's quite the step down in quality however when you have Ozil Sanchez and Walcott all behind him.

People are already starting to warm around Arteta just because we've tried 4-1-4-1 in a few friendlies. It'll be interesting to see how he does against Everton this weekend..

We've added more depth to the squad which was needed imo. I don't know if we've strengthened enough to be known as title contenders though but it will happen in a window or two

Original post by Deshi

you watching titanic tonight brah?

you watching titanic tonight brah?

Cheers Rose you sloot

We could watch it in sync and feel together brah

I actually made a comparison thread earlier this year with Avatar but it was basically a thread for me to gush about Titanic (semi srs)
Reply 4114
Original post by sevchenko
Nonsense. There no excuses for us this season, in the last 2 years our best players have been tied down on long term contracts, no key players have left, we have money, we have spent big money and our debt is manageable.

We can't hide behind the word transition anymore after we lead the League for most of the last season "but for injuries" people say heck we've brought in a world renown fitness coach to deal with that. We need to re-establish our presence and our status in English football by winning the league. FA cup is all well and good but The league is the most important. 11 years mate is far too long.

I'll reserve judgement on the transfer window after it closes. We're not that far away for Chelsea and City, I'm sure AW will bring the right players.

Not saying that the word transition is acceptable any more but in reality that is the most likely case. Injuries weren't the sole reason why we'd get hammered in the big away games. Even when we had the likes of Walcott and Ramsey play for us at the Ethiad we still lost.

We have spent big. We have tied down our players. That doesn't mean that just because we've changed our policy that we're automatically title winners though. I know you love Giroud and he does get more stick then deserved but he is clearly not suited enough to play for us in the big games - should be 2nd choice at best.

We've signed 2 big names. Ozil and Sanchez. We're still 1 or 2, maybe even 3 ( pushing it) big signings away from having the same quality on our starting XI compared to Chelsea's/City's. Everyone is shouting out for a tank right now for DMF and a world class striker but I highly doubt we'll be getting these two this window. What's our depth at Left back? Gibbs is already injured and we're back to relying on Monreal who I just don't think is up to par.

There was a reason why we led the league last season for so long and that was because of our fixture list. Essentially we won the games we were meant to win and lost the ones which were acceptable bar a few hiccups (which happened to every team).
To be considered actual title contenders we need to have a squad strong enough to be able to grab more points off our rivals.
Sanchez is a good upgrade but I don't see us improving our big game record from last season bar gaining 4 extra points from UTD and Everton.
Chelsea will most likely storm the league this year and the same to be said with City if Aguero managed to stay fit. Even if he didn't they have Dzeko, Jovetic and Ngredo where as we'd fall on Sanogo (I don't count Sanchez and Theo as strikers as of yet).

Whether it's acceptable or not to not win the league this year is another question. In reality though for us to be in that position we're still a few players off but who really is there to buy this summer? Falcao/Cavani are out of the question and Carvalho looks to be off. How many other potential/world class players are there right now? I'm just saying that there are still some gaps in the team that need to be filled, not just for now but in the long run too. It won't happen over one window but I can see it definitely happening after a year or two.

A decent season would be 3rd place with QF in CL and possibly a league/FA cup. I don't expect us getting much more.
Original post by Deshi

Cheers Rose you sloot

We could watch it in sync and feel together brah

I actually made a comparison thread earlier this year with Avatar but it was basically a thread for me to gush about Titanic (semi srs)

OMG Rose's theme is actually my favourite song from the soundtrack:colondollar:

and yeah totally agree with everything you posted. Titanic just gets you right in the feels.:colondollar:

what other films have you seen in the past 5 years that you rank as high as Titanic?
OMG Rose's theme is actually my favourite song from the soundtrack:colondollar:

and yeah totally agree with everything you posted. Titanic just gets you right in the feels.:colondollar:

what other films have you seen in the past 5 years that you rank as high as Titanic?

Listen to the violin version of the theme, it's awesome

There's quite a few films I rate higher then it, it's in my 9/10 category with like 30/40 other films, it just gives me more feels then any other so it sticks out for me

(probably best if you quote me in the misc thread if you want me to recommend some so we don;t derail the thread)
Gibbs almost made it a whole game into the season before getting injured. Not bad for him :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deshi
Listen to the violin version of the theme, it's awesome

There's quite a few films I rate higher then it, it's in my 9/10 category with like 30/40 other films, it just gives me more feels then any other so it sticks out for me

(probably best if you quote me in the misc thread if you want me to recommend some so we don;t derail the thread)

have you heard the theme song of pirates of the caribbean by her?
Original post by Setsuna
have you heard the theme song of pirates of the caribbean by her?

Yeah, I have quite a lot of her covers

Latest