The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meli.Hardege
hah im german and i think german is **** id say learn french or spanish instead :') but german people are obviously amazing except the ones from down south :wink:

Going to Bavaria was the problem then?

Original post by L'Evil Fish
meh, I'd choose Spanish :colone:

That's coming from someone who does French A2 and no qualifications in Spanish!

Germans are lame

Nothing wrong with the Germans, I'm hardly the most patient person myself, but not great if practising the language is your goal.

How come Spanish over French?
:lol: does anyone get the subtle analogy?

No...do explain.
Original post by O133

Nothing wrong with the Germans, I'm hardly the most patient person myself, but not great if practising the language is your goal.

yes yes it was i don't like Bavaria either :') i'm from right right up north in Germany so :biggrin:
hahah French was my first too :wink: I really want to learn Chinese, mix things up a bit :')

i've been bilingual my entire life so i don't count german as being a language i learnt :smile:

:ahee:

Oh I'm trying Mandarin... Speaking is hard :colonhash:

Ah you're lucky having a useful second language!

Original post by O133

How come Spanish over French?

Yeah but people here curse when people can't speak English, I just think they should try a little.

Hmmmm... I just find Spanish is nicer sounding, also it's growing and is quite big. And their films aren't all about sex I'm sure

Original post by O133
No...do explain.

... Like a romantic/sex life :tongue:
Yeah but people here curse when people can't speak English, I just think they should try a little.

Hmmmm... I just find Spanish is nicer sounding, also it's growing and is quite big. And their films aren't all about sex I'm sure

... Like a romantic/sex life :tongue:

Ah right! Demonstrating my lack of experience there then! :tongue: French was my first (even before Welsh came along and I'm fluent in that now) and I grew up less than an hour from the Channel (hell, my mum and her half of the family are all from Dover) so I have a bit of an attachment to it. That, combined with never having been to the Hispanosphere (and not really feeling much of a desire to), makes French v Spanish a fairly easy decision.
Original post by O133
Ah right! Demonstrating my lack of experience there then! :tongue: French was my first (even before Welsh came along and I'm fluent in that now) and I grew up less than an hour from the Channel (hell, my mum and her half of the family are all from Dover) so I have a bit of an attachment to it. That, combined with never having been to the Hispanosphere (and not really feeling much of a desire to), makes French v Spanish a fairly easy decision.

I have none dw:wink: just thought it related perfectly. In the films they always savour their first... End up cheating maybe on their current one

Ah I see! Damn, you need to get me speaking in Welsh... I've never been taught it well, as I want a grammar base. But now I just need to learn loads of words... And mutations :gah:
I have none dw:wink: just thought it related perfectly. In the films they always savour their first... End up cheating maybe on their current one

Ah I see! Damn, you need to get me speaking in Welsh... I've never been taught it well, as I want a grammar base. But now I just need to learn loads of words... And mutations :gah:

Welsh grammar, I suppose I could help you with that, seeing as grammar is my favourite part of language learning. Good luck trying to make sense of the many different ways the Welsh have of saying "I am" for example (at GCSE my teacher derived a load from "yr ydwyf i yn").

Mutations aren't too hard, half of it is getting a feeling for what sounds best.

Apparently we're not allowed to post in Welsh without a translation though. :frown:
Original post by O133
Welsh grammar, I suppose I could help you with that, seeing as grammar is my favourite part of language learning. Good luck trying to make sense of the many different ways the Welsh have of saying "I am" for example (at GCSE my teacher derived a load from "yr ydwyf i yn").

Mutations aren't too hard, half of it is getting a feeling for what sounds best.

Apparently we're not allowed to post in Welsh without a translation though. :frown:

I am? Ive always thought it was

Dwi'n
Rydw i'n

Well for grammar I guess we'd need English anyway :colone:
In response to y'all because I'm too lazy to quote on my iPad... I'm 1/6 offended :')
I prefer Spanish to French, purely because I'm bitter that I passed the exam at GCSE but failed the coursework because my teacher went AWOL.
But Spanish is such a lovely language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
:ahee:

Oh I'm trying Mandarin... Speaking is hard :colonhash:

Ah you're lucky having a useful second language!

I can imagine its such a fascinating language though i'm hoping to pick it up at uni its something i know most of the unis i plan on applying for do :biggrin: its great speaking both languages i take French A-level as well ...i'm a bit of a language geek :smile:
I am? Ive always thought it was

Dwi'n
Rydw i'n

Well for grammar I guess we'd need English anyway :colone:

So starting with the long form yr ydwyf i yn:

yr ydwyf i yn -> rydwyf i yn -> rydw i yn -> dw i yn
or
yr ydwyf i yn -> yr wyf i yn -> rwyf i yn -> rwy'n

I'm sure there were more that I've forgotten.

I'm still trying to get my head around the tenses, comparing them to Spanish/French, so far I have:
rydw i yn siarad - I speak/am speaking - present (simple or continuous)
siaradaf i - I speak - present (simple only) - ffurf cryno that I don't really understand and would struggle to form most of the time
rydw i wedi siarad - I have spoken - perfect
roeddwn i yn siarad - I was speaking - imperfect
siaradais i - I spoke - preterite
roeddwn i wedi siarad - I had spoken - pluperfect
byddwn i yn siarad - I will speak - future
byddwn i wedi siarad - I will have spoken - future perfect
b(u)aswn i yn siarad - I would speak - conditional
b(u)aswn i wedi siarad - I would have spoken - conditional perfect
siaradir - is spoken (sort of) - present impersonal (weird way to avoid the passive that I don't really claim to understand)
siaradwyd - was spoken - past impersonal

Also don't forget that Welsh is kind of two languaages, North and South Walian, so my Welsh and your Welsh are probably a bit different (mae o vs mae e etc.)
Original post by O133

or

I'm still trying to get my head around the tenses, comparing them to Spanish/French, so far I have:
siaradaf i - I speak - present (simple only) - ffurf cryno that I don't really understand and would struggle to form most of the time
siaradir - is spoken (sort of) - present impersonal (weird way to avoid the passive that I don't really claim to understand)

Also don't forget that Welsh is kind of two languaages, North and South Walian, so my Welsh and your Welsh are probably a bit different (mae o vs mae e etc.)

My old welsh teacher was from North Wales! But the other teacher was from South Wales, we ended up getting both versions a lot of the time, which was confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blamethenargles
My old welsh teacher was from North Wales! But the other teacher was from South Wales, we ended up getting both versions a lot of the time, which was confusing.

Yes, incredible that such a small place ended up with two dialects so different! (Although actually if you drove from my house to South Wales you'd soon see why - don't get my started on trying to get a train!) Add to that the fact that Wales wasn't united very often until we English decided we fancied it.
Original post by O133
Yes, incredible that such a small place ended up with two dialects so different! (Although actually if you drove from my house to South Wales you'd soon see why - don't get my started on trying to get a train!) Add to that the fact that Wales wasn't united very often until we English decided we fancied it.

I love trains! Us Welsh are very protective of our land, we're just too puny to do anything about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love trains! Us Welsh are very protective of our land, we're just too puny to do anything about it.

You'd better love sitting on the train if you want to travel on an Arriva Trains Wales train. I'll never forget my first trip to Aberystwyth years ago, which should have been just over an hour on the train and ended up taking around three.

And to think Arriva Trains Wales are owned by Deutsche Bahn, I expect better!
I can imagine its such a fascinating language though i'm hoping to pick it up at uni its something i know most of the unis i plan on applying for do :biggrin: its great speaking both languages i take French A-level as well ...i'm a bit of a language geek :smile:

I love languages too!
Original post by O133

or

Yeah I've learnt some a bit different with the i+ yn

Rydw i'n siarad
Siaradais i
Roeddwn i siarad
Baswn i siarad

Etc, never been told to use the 'yn'
Original post by O133
You'd better love sitting on the train if you want to travel on an Arriva Trains Wales train. I'll never forget my first trip to Aberystwyth years ago, which should have been just over an hour on the train and ended up taking around three.

And to think Arriva Trains Wales are owned by Deutsche Bahn, I expect better!

We're lucky if we get a seat.
Saturday 10am: lots of shoppers with you children
TWO CARRIAGES.
Tuesday, 1pm: everyone's in work
SIX CARRIAGES
*sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I've learnt some a bit different with the i+ yn

Rydw i'n siarad
Siaradais i
Roeddwn i siarad
Baswn i siarad

Etc, never been told to use the 'yn'

It was probably roeddwn i'n and baswn i'n (or you had a very bad teacher).

We're lucky if we get a seat.
Saturday 10am: lots of shoppers with you children
TWO CARRIAGES.
Tuesday, 1pm: everyone's in work
SIX CARRIAGES
*sigh*

Six whole carriages? We have two sometimes - and then the train splits at Machynlleth and one lone carriage is sent to Aber and the other to Pwllheli.
Original post by O133
It was probably roeddwn i'n and baswn i'n (or you had a very bad teacher).

Six whole carriages? We have two sometimes - and then the train splits at Machynlleth and one lone carriage is sent to Aber and the other to Pwllheli.

The latter...

Unless negative then

Faswn i ddim yn hoffi : I wouldn't like
The latter...

Unless negative then

Faswn i ddim yn hoffi : I wouldn't like

That's correct.

Is there such thing as a great Welsh teacher?

Latest