The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by O133
That's correct.

Is there such thing as a great Welsh teacher?

Hmmmm... Ydw, ond dydw i ddim yn meddwl bod mae nhw'n * are easy to find
Don't think they are anyway...
Original post by 2en1
Haha I just joined the thread now too! I've heard lots of myths about UCAS so I'm scared too:s-smilie:

I'm scared I'll get no offers from unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blamethenargles

HEY!

Original post by L'Evil Fish
:awesome: where shouts?

I was born in Bangor and lived in Anglesey, so North! :smile:

Original post by Tibbz2
Lincolnshire :biggrin:

totes same. Where abouts in Lincolnshire are you at? :smile:

I am? Ive always thought it was

Dwi'n
Rydw i'n

Well for grammar I guess we'd need English anyway :colone:

Literally all I know in Welsh is Rwy'n diolch da which is I'm good thanks. :L I sometimes wish I'd been taught Welsh. :')
Hmmmm... Ydw, ond dydw i ddim yn meddwl bod mae nhw'n * are easy to find
Don't think they are anyway...

maen nhw'n hawdd i ffeindio/ddarganfod?

Mine was alright, but just really disorganised.
Original post by WishfulDesire
Literally all I know in Welsh is Rwy'n diolch da which is I'm good thanks. :L I sometimes wish I'd been taught Welsh. :')

*Rwy'n dda diolch. :tongue:

Welsh is interesting, sometimes (a lot less when you do GCSE Literature) but fairly useless.
Original post by O133

Welsh is interesting, sometimes (a lot less when you do GCSE Literature) but fairly useless.

Hey I tried! I literally picked up that from my grandfather when he was still alive and it was just verbal. xD
Original post by WishfulDesire
Hey I tried! I literally picked up that from my grandfather when he was still alive and it was just verbal. xD

Digon teg. That's fairly impressive then.
Original post by O133

Literally the only thing I learnt in 8 years of welsh (albeit primary school level) was Mae hyn gymylog because that was all the weather was, ooh and bwrw glaw

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Literally the only thing I learnt in 8 years of welsh (albeit primary school level) was Mae hyn gymylog because that was all the weather was, ooh and bwrw glaw

That comment sums up Wales 100%.
Original post by NinjaPandaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep *nods*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by O133
It was probably roeddwn i'n and baswn i'n (or you had a very bad teacher).

Six whole carriages? We have two sometimes - and then the train splits at Machynlleth and one lone carriage is sent to Aber and the other to Pwllheli.

Yes! Although they give us the nice trains when NO ONE IS ON THEM.
I couldn't handle one carriage with the amount of people that get on the train when I use it, it's crowded enough as it is!

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are so many Welsh people here! Anyone else with Northern Irish roots like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only Welsh I know is that 'microwave' is 'poppityping' - but people have been telling me this isn't true :lol:
Original post by Bude8
The only Welsh I know is that 'microwave' is 'poppityping' - but people have been telling me this isn't true :lol:

:lol: it isn't really :frown:

I blame the Apprentice
Can welsh words even be pronounced? There is definitely an incorrect consonant to vowel ratio...
Original post by Fuenciado
Can welsh words even be pronounced? There is definitely an incorrect consonant to vowel ratio...

W is a (semi)vowel in Welsh, pronounced "oo", Y is pronounced "i" or "uh" and U is always pronounced "i". Weird, right?
Reply 436
Original post by chem@uni
So what county is everyone from??

Lincolnshire :-D
Reply 437
Original post by O133
W is a (semi)vowel in Welsh, pronounced "oo", Y is pronounced "i" or "uh" and U is always pronounced "i". Weird, right?

I'm so glad I've seen this explain this to me because Welsh words have always just given me a headache.
Year 13, wow i feel old
Original post by emcat
I'm so glad I've seen this explain this to me because Welsh words have always just given me a headache.

I'll do all the vowels:
A is pronounced like in cat (short) or in man (long - at least how I say it)
E is pronounced like in pen (short) or in bear (long)
I is pronounced like in tin (short) or in clean (long)
O is pronounced like in song (short) or in sore (long)
U is pronounced the same as I down south, or like German ü or French u up north
W is pronounced like in book (short) or soon (long)
Y is pronounced the same as I when it is in the last or only syllable, and like a cross between sun and book elsewhere (and in the words y, yr and yn)

Combinations of vowels:
AE, AI and AU are usually pronounced like in time (although they may be pronounced like EA, EI and EU below)
EA, EI and EU are usually pronounced like in game (although they may be pronounced like AE, AI and AU above)
OE, OI and OU are pronounced like in toy
WY is pronounced like a cross between "oo-ey" and "oi"

Latest