The Student Room Group

How university students perceive other universities.

Since so many on this site love to proclaim to the world what they think the university rankings really are, I thought this would be an interesting post.

The guardian did a study asking university students what universities they thought were on par with their own university.

Found here: http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2014/jul/24/interactive-which-universities-think-equals

(Of course, the red and green coloured bars are meaningless as the Guardian is using Guardian rankings to signify where the university lies relative to your selected university).

Some guy has already looked pretty deeply into this study

Found here: http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/9#25396456

Your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGuyReturns
Since so many on this site love to proclaim to the world what they think the university rankings really are, I thought this would be an interesting post.

The guardian did a study asking university students what universities they thought were on par with their own university.

Found here: http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2014/jul/24/interactive-which-universities-think-equals

(Of course, the red and green coloured bars are meaningless as the Guardian is using Guardian rankings to signify where the university lies relative to your selected university).

Some guy has already looked pretty deeply into this study

Found here: http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/9#25396456

Your thoughts?

I think it would have been more fun to have respondents specify whether other unis were better or worse than their own rather than just more or less similar.

I recall an study of football fans a few years back that uncovered 'unrequited hatred' relationships by looking at pairs of football teams finding that (e.g.) Liverpool fans regarded Manchester United as their cheif rival but that Manchester United fans regarded Liverpool as a much lower priority after the big London clubs.

might be fun to find similar relationships here but the graun website doesn't seem to want to play with me today.
Reply 2
28.6% of the seven respondents at Oxford Brookes thought that Oxford Brookes was on a level with (amongst others) Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh, Imperial, UCL, St Andrews, Warwick and Oxford. Methinks those two people decided they'd take the piss.
Reply 3
Meh I go to newcastle, and I think all the other big city ones like Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham etc are on par in employer's eyes.

And I have no reason to be bias as I am doing dentistry so the uni I go to kinda doesn't matter. ;p
It's worth noting that some of the sample sizes are very very very small.

Some of the results are pretty funny though, eg:

78% of Imperial College students think Imperial is at the same level as Cambridge
19.3% of Cambridge students think Cambridge is at the same level as Imperial
Reply 5
Was hoping for a meme :frown:
I have made a compilation of conversations between universities that sums this all up.

Aberdeen: We're totes as good as Edinburgh! Yeah!
Edinburgh: Ewww, step away from us, plebs.

Aston: Birmingham is just like us! We're essentially Siamese twins that are joined at certain vital appendages. What do you think, big brother?
Birmingham: GET IT OFF ME, GET IT OFF ME!!

Bangor: We're like Aberystwyth, except you can actually pronounce us.

Bath: Bristol! I'll take you to the stars, babe.
Bristol: Nah, we can fangirl about books and art with Durham, physics nerd.

Birmingham: Oi! Manc! Look, we've had our differences on the football field, but do you want to join in holy matrimony of slightly jarring regional accents?
Manchester: Meh, maybe.

Bradford: Screw matches, do you see that guy who legitimately thinks we're the same as York? Haha! Haha! Hahahahahaha! Poor shmuck, clearly the banner ads worked on him.

Bristol: Durham! I'm the most oversubscribed uni in the country, I'm drowning in clunge, but nothing makes me happier that your icy isolated form. Love me!
Durham: Oh, Bristol, look at our matched vague sense of Oxbridge reject-ery and annoyingly high grade requirements! I'm yours!

Cambridge: You and me against the world, pal.
Oxford: Word.

Cardiff: ...Bristol? I left three voicemails about getting that coffee on Monday and you still haven't replied...You know, we could talk, I'm very convincing with my jovial Welsh lilt -
Bristol: Nope.
Cardiff: Fine, I'll take Leeds.
Leeds: Nuh-uh.
Cardiff: Manchester?!
Manchester: I'm not being your sloppy thirds!
Cardiff: Ah, well, back to my sheep.

City: Queen Mary, becometh my true sovereign.
Queen Mary: You'll 'becometh' guillotined if you don't get out of my throne room.

Coventry: Somehow we think we're similar to both Derby and Birmingham, which is like saying you're similar to both pecan pie and foie gras. Not that Birmingham is foie gras. Also, we're still revelling in that we inexplicably are placed higher than Bristol.

Durham: Bristol is our soulmate *swoon*
Bristol: Marry me, you lovely freezing bastard.

Edinburgh: We're practically Durham's twin!
Durham: Meh, fair enough. We like Bristol better than you, though.

Exeter: Bristol, are you suuuuure you don't have Saturday night free? I want to get cocktails! It's so BORING up here! So many freaking HILLS!
Bristol: Sorry, doll, I've got a busy work schedule.

Glasgow: Edinburgh! Love me!!!
Edinburgh: Urgh, man, way too regionalistic, man. I'm trying to explore the world, man! Get out of that haggisfest, man.

Goldsmiths: Bristol! Cambridge!
Bristol and Cambridge: Do you hear something? It sounds a bit like a flea, or some annoyingly high-pitched mouse.

Hull: Leeds, are you -
Leeds: WE GOT A RESTRAINING ORDER. GO BACK TO YOUR CULTURAL HAVEN, YOU ****.

Imperial: Cambridge, sing with me! We're in the business of misery...
Cambridge: ...let's take it from the top.

Keele: Aston, we think we're just like you. You agree?
Aston: Who even are you?!

Kent: Reading!
Reading: No!

KCL: University College is literally across the road from us. We have similar grade requirements, a similar clientele, and the occasional spat but whatever. We're basically their hip younger sister.
UCL: And we're their much more prestigious big brother.
KCL: Nuh-uh!
UCL: Guardian league tables, we're 11, you're 40. Suck it.

Lancaster: York, I know there's still some, aha, *tensions* between us, but I think we can put aside our differences and work together -
York: KNIFE TO THE FACE! *stab*

Leeds: Manc. Bruv.
Manchester: Leeds. Bruv.

Leicester: Birmingham, we are superior to you on all other levels, but I would begrudgingly concede that our universities are about equal.
Birmingham: We're four places higher than you, bitch!

Liverpool: Manc. Bruv.
Manchester: If I'm your brother, I was clearly adopted from a much handsomer family.

London Met: That one guy who thinks we're the same as Cambridge is either a masterful troll or studying Waste Management.

LSE: Oxford, we know you've got that weird incestuous cult thing going with Cambridge, but spare us some time?
Oxford: You can have my Saturdays from 1-4, and you're paying for lunch.
LSE: Deal.

Loughborough: Bath, we'd like to Bath-e in you, heh heh heh.
Bath: THE JACUZZI IS NOW CLOSED.

Manchester Met: ...Sheffield?
Sheffield: HAHAHAHAHAHA OH GOD I'M DYING
Manchester Met: But, Sheffield! We came all the way over here! We brought muffins!
Sheffield: Security!

Newcastle: Hey, Leeds, you're looking damn good today.
Leeds: GODSAKE WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT ME

Nottingham: You lookin' fiiiiine, Manchester.
Manchester: GODSAKE WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT ME

Oxford Brookes: Hey, Leicester, how about it?
Leicester: Much as I'd like to have a 22-year-old toy-boy, I'll pass.
Oxford Brookes: Hey, I was founded as a polytechnic in 1970!
Leicester: It's still gross.

Queen Mary: We are matrimonially tied, King's! Let us build empires!
KCL: Um, I'd rather abdicate.

Reading: Cardiff, you don't have to be alone! I love you!
Cardiff: Eh, think I prefer the sheep.

Royal Holloway: I need a regal partner! Come on, King's, we're practically neighbours and I have some really pretty gardens.
KCL: Nah, go screw Queen Mary.
Queen Mary: I don't want it either.

Sheffield: Manchester, you're looking damn -
Manchester: FOR GOD'S SAKE I'm just TRYING to buy a PANINI look I'm AWARE of my FABULOUS but can I GET THROUGH MY DAY without having any more STREET HARASSMENT PLEASE
Sheffield: - fine?
Manchester: Actually, on second thought, nice tits. I'm sold.

SOAS: Hey LSE, you got a thing for Asians?
LSE: Only in paper boxes.

Southampton: Bristol! Niiice!
Bristol: GODDAMMIT WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT ME

St Andrew's: Hey, Durham! We're both cold and pretentious! Marry me!
Durham: You can be my bit on the side.
St Andrew's: Deal.

Surrey: Lonely, I am so lonely, I have nobody, all on my own *mournfully plays banjo*

Sussex: Manchester! Hey! Haven't seen you in so -
Manchester: *threateningly brandishes pepper spray*

UCL: Hey, Imperial. We're neighbours, we're both insanely prestigious and a little bit douchey. Want to hook up?
Imperial: Nah, I'm still trying to get into that cool cult thing Oxbridge has going on. I mean, they're like one entity. It's insane.

UEA: *loud and phlegmy sobbing*

UAL: Hey, Goldsmiths! Want to play some jazz at my contemporary art exhibition? It's a picture of a dead frog and half a rotting lemon surrounded by a thousand ping-pong balls. Really speaks to me, y'know?
Goldsmiths: Sure, but only if I can do that cool mix of blues and ska that's been circulating lately. I call it blueska.
UAL: Yeah, sure, whatever.

Warwick: Durham?
Durham: No.
Warwick: UCL?
Warwick: LSE?
LSE: No.
Warwick: Christ, it's like being in Clearing.

York: Durham, I hear you're marrying Bristol and keeping St Andrew's as a bit on the side. I can be your casual hookup!
Durham: Nah, I can get my own prostitutes.
Interesting to note that Imperial is the most respected uni by oxbridge students outside Oxbrige
Original post by Theophile
Interesting to note that Imperial is the most respected uni by oxbridge students outside Oxbrige

It doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is how deluded some of the littler universities are.
Reply 9
Original post by Scott.M
Meh I go to newcastle, and I think all the other big city ones like Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham etc are on par in employer's eyes.

And I have no reason to be bias as I am doing dentistry so the uni I go to kinda doesn't matter. ;p

When you are solving harder exam questions in Biology or Chemistry, does it all just come to you, or was it because you just revised loads? I know some questions can only really be answered through natural ability?

I agree with the general point that there is very little in it between most Russell Group universities, and the prestige 17-18 year olds give their universities is based on ego and perception from media league tables and hearsay amongst their social circle. Most will think Durham & St Andrews are the next best thing to Oxbridge because the UK rankings say so, and because the tariff points are high. This only tells us they are popular with Oxbridge rejects, they are not otherwise better than the others, or even close to Oxbridge whatsoever.

One only truly understands how it works a few years post graduation, once they get some business experience. Neither Durham & St Andrews are ''better'' academically than Nottingham, Manchester, KCL and Edinburgh, they are infact a bit behind them in academic strength and international reputation and graduate employer targeting. But you can't buy experience, you've got to learn your dues, and in a few years time these young students will realise many new things which they didnt know before, including how useless some courses are in helping you get top jobs.

For those that think Durham & St Andrews are in the same league as UCL, they can think again. They are only on a par with Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow and many others.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Theophile

That is because Oxbridge in the past have used Imperial as an example to take the piss out of unis like London South Bank. Also, Imperial is regarded as being almost as good as Oxbridge by academia. It certainly isn't too far behind.
74.4% of Glasgow students thought they were on the same level as Edinburgh
19.6% of Edinburgh students thought they were on the same level as Glasgow

I was pretty surprised by how few Edinburgh students thought they were on the same level as Glasgow.

I think Imperial's ego is a tad big, looks down on UCL which really is an equal.

Although from reading these polls I get the sense that the top 10 universities in the UK (approximate rankings you can move them around as you see fit)

Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Durham, Warwick, KCL. Am I right or what?
Reply 12
Original post by Okorange
74.4% of Glasgow students thought they were on the same level as Edinburgh
19.6% of Edinburgh students thought they were on the same level as Glasgow

I was pretty surprised by how few Edinburgh students thought they were on the same level as Glasgow.

I think Imperial's ego is a tad big, looks down on UCL which really is an equal.

Although from reading these polls I get the sense that the top 10 universities in the UK (approximate rankings you can move them around as you see fit)

Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Durham, Warwick, KCL. Am I right or what?

Nottingham ranks higher than Durham and St Andrews in the QS World Rankings, and they are really respected rankings as pretty much all the top universities, including most of the above, refer to them on their websites. They don't care so much for the UK media rankings, and those are kind of pointless, no academic strength included, and student satisfaction is open to bias.
Still reeling that Coventry > Bristol according to the Guardian. I live near Cov and um, no.
Original post by paradoxicalme
I have made a compilation of conversations between universities that sums this all up.

Aberdeen: We're totes as good as Edinburgh! Yeah!
Edinburgh: Ewww, step away from us, plebs.

Aston: Birmingham is just like us! We're essentially Siamese twins that are joined at certain vital appendages. What do you think, big brother?
Birmingham: GET IT OFF ME, GET IT OFF ME!!

Bangor: We're like Aberystwyth, except you can actually pronounce us.

Bath: Bristol! I'll take you to the stars, babe.
Bristol: Nah, we can fangirl about books and art with Durham, physics nerd.

Birmingham: Oi! Manc! Look, we've had our differences on the football field, but do you want to join in holy matrimony of slightly jarring regional accents?
Manchester: Meh, maybe.

Bradford: Screw matches, do you see that guy who legitimately thinks we're the same as York? Haha! Haha! Hahahahahaha! Poor shmuck, clearly the banner ads worked on him.

Bristol: Durham! I'm the most oversubscribed uni in the country, I'm drowning in clunge, but nothing makes me happier that your icy isolated form. Love me!
Durham: Oh, Bristol, look at our matched vague sense of Oxbridge reject-ery and annoyingly high grade requirements! I'm yours!

Cambridge: You and me against the world, pal.
Oxford: Word.

Cardiff: ...Bristol? I left three voicemails about getting that coffee on Monday and you still haven't replied...You know, we could talk, I'm very convincing with my jovial Welsh lilt -
Bristol: Nope.
Cardiff: Fine, I'll take Leeds.
Leeds: Nuh-uh.
Cardiff: Manchester?!
Manchester: I'm not being your sloppy thirds!
Cardiff: Ah, well, back to my sheep.

City: Queen Mary, becometh my true sovereign.
Queen Mary: You'll 'becometh' guillotined if you don't get out of my throne room.

Coventry: Somehow we think we're similar to both Derby and Birmingham, which is like saying you're similar to both pecan pie and foie gras. Not that Birmingham is foie gras. Also, we're still revelling in that we inexplicably are placed higher than Bristol.

Durham: Bristol is our soulmate *swoon*
Bristol: Marry me, you lovely freezing bastard.

Edinburgh: We're practically Durham's twin!
Durham: Meh, fair enough. We like Bristol better than you, though.

Exeter: Bristol, are you suuuuure you don't have Saturday night free? I want to get cocktails! It's so BORING up here! So many freaking HILLS!
Bristol: Sorry, doll, I've got a busy work schedule.

Glasgow: Edinburgh! Love me!!!
Edinburgh: Urgh, man, way too regionalistic, man. I'm trying to explore the world, man! Get out of that haggisfest, man.

Goldsmiths: Bristol! Cambridge!
Bristol and Cambridge: Do you hear something? It sounds a bit like a flea, or some annoyingly high-pitched mouse.

Hull: Leeds, are you -
Leeds: WE GOT A RESTRAINING ORDER. GO BACK TO YOUR CULTURAL HAVEN, YOU ****.

Imperial: Cambridge, sing with me! We're in the business of misery...
Cambridge: ...let's take it from the top.

Keele: Aston, we think we're just like you. You agree?
Aston: Who even are you?!

Kent: Reading!
Reading: No!

KCL: University College is literally across the road from us. We have similar grade requirements, a similar clientele, and the occasional spat but whatever. We're basically their hip younger sister.
UCL: And we're their much more prestigious big brother.
KCL: Nuh-uh!
UCL: Guardian league tables, we're 11, you're 40. Suck it.

Lancaster: York, I know there's still some, aha, *tensions* between us, but I think we can put aside our differences and work together -
York: KNIFE TO THE FACE! *stab*

Leeds: Manc. Bruv.
Manchester: Leeds. Bruv.

Leicester: Birmingham, we are superior to you on all other levels, but I would begrudgingly concede that our universities are about equal.
Birmingham: We're four places higher than you, bitch!

Liverpool: Manc. Bruv.
Manchester: If I'm your brother, I was clearly adopted from a much handsomer family.

London Met: That one guy who thinks we're the same as Cambridge is either a masterful troll or studying Waste Management.

LSE: Oxford, we know you've got that weird incestuous cult thing going with Cambridge, but spare us some time?
Oxford: You can have my Saturdays from 1-4, and you're paying for lunch.
LSE: Deal.

Loughborough: Bath, we'd like to Bath-e in you, heh heh heh.
Bath: THE JACUZZI IS NOW CLOSED.

Manchester Met: ...Sheffield?
Sheffield: HAHAHAHAHAHA OH GOD I'M DYING
Manchester Met: But, Sheffield! We came all the way over here! We brought muffins!
Sheffield: Security!

Newcastle: Hey, Leeds, you're looking damn good today.
Leeds: GODSAKE WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT ME

Nottingham: You lookin' fiiiiine, Manchester.
Manchester: GODSAKE WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT ME

Oxford Brookes: Hey, Leicester, how about it?
Leicester: Much as I'd like to have a 22-year-old toy-boy, I'll pass.
Oxford Brookes: Hey, I was founded as a polytechnic in 1970!
Leicester: It's still gross.

Queen Mary: We are matrimonially tied, King's! Let us build empires!
KCL: Um, I'd rather abdicate.

Reading: Cardiff, you don't have to be alone! I love you!
Cardiff: Eh, think I prefer the sheep.

Royal Holloway: I need a regal partner! Come on, King's, we're practically neighbours and I have some really pretty gardens.
KCL: Nah, go screw Queen Mary.
Queen Mary: I don't want it either.

Sheffield: Manchester, you're looking damn -
Manchester: FOR GOD'S SAKE I'm just TRYING to buy a PANINI look I'm AWARE of my FABULOUS but can I GET THROUGH MY DAY without having any more STREET HARASSMENT PLEASE
Sheffield: - fine?
Manchester: Actually, on second thought, nice tits. I'm sold.

SOAS: Hey LSE, you got a thing for Asians?
LSE: Only in paper boxes.

Southampton: Bristol! Niiice!
Bristol: GODDAMMIT WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT ME

St Andrew's: Hey, Durham! We're both cold and pretentious! Marry me!
Durham: You can be my bit on the side.
St Andrew's: Deal.

Surrey: Lonely, I am so lonely, I have nobody, all on my own *mournfully plays banjo*

Sussex: Manchester! Hey! Haven't seen you in so -
Manchester: *threateningly brandishes pepper spray*

UCL: Hey, Imperial. We're neighbours, we're both insanely prestigious and a little bit douchey. Want to hook up?
Imperial: Nah, I'm still trying to get into that cool cult thing Oxbridge has going on. I mean, they're like one entity. It's insane.

UEA: *loud and phlegmy sobbing*

UAL: Hey, Goldsmiths! Want to play some jazz at my contemporary art exhibition? It's a picture of a dead frog and half a rotting lemon surrounded by a thousand ping-pong balls. Really speaks to me, y'know?
Goldsmiths: Sure, but only if I can do that cool mix of blues and ska that's been circulating lately. I call it blueska.
UAL: Yeah, sure, whatever.

Warwick: Durham?
Warwick: UCL?
Warwick: LSE?
LSE: No.
Warwick: Christ, it's like being in Clearing.

York: Durham, I hear you're marrying Bristol and keeping St Andrew's as a bit on the side. I can be your casual hookup!
Durham: Nah, I can get my own prostitutes.

This is brilliant. :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mansun
When you are solving harder exam questions in Biology or Chemistry, does it all just come to you, or was it because you just revised loads? I know some questions can only really be answered through natural ability?

I agree with the general point that there is very little in it between most Russell Group universities, and the prestige 17-18 year olds give their universities is based on ego and perception from media league tables and hearsay amongst their social circle. Most will think Durham & St Andrews are the next best thing to Oxbridge because the UK rankings say so, and because the tariff points are high. This only tells us they are popular with Oxbridge rejects, they are not otherwise better than the others, or even close to Oxbridge whatsoever.

One only truly understands how it works a few years post graduation, once they get some business experience. Neither Durham & St Andrews are ''better'' academically than Nottingham, Manchester, KCL and Edinburgh, they are infact a bit behind them in academic strength and international reputation and graduate employer targeting. But you can't buy experience, you've got to learn your dues, and in a few years time these young students will realise many new things which they didnt know before, including how useless some courses are in helping you get top jobs.

For those that think Durham & St Andrews are in the same league as UCL, they can think again. They are only on a par with Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow and many others.

You only know what you revised. But perhaps the ability to grasp concepts is natural ability.

Also interesting post regarding Durham. :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by Scott.M
You only know what you revised. But perhaps the ability to grasp concepts is natural ability.

Also interesting post regarding Durham. :tongue:

According to the highly respected QS World Rankings 2013/2014, the best UK universities are as follows:-

1) Cambridge (1)
2) UCL (2)
3) Imperial (4)
4) Oxford (3)
5) Edinburgh (5)
6) KCL(6)
7) Bristol (7)
8) Manchester (8)
9) Glasgow (9)
10) Birmingham (15)
11) Warwick (10)
12) LSE (12
13) Sheffield (11)
14) Nottingham (13)
15) St Andrews (17)
16) Southampton (14)
17) Durham (16)
18) Leeds (18)
19) York (19)
20) QMUL (23)

(Numbers in brackets represent 2012-2013 rankings)
my uni not on there. no care
Reply 18
Original post by ChickenMadness
my uni not on there. no care

Not in the UK top 20 this year. It will be there somewhere.
Original post by Mansun
According to the highly respected QS World Rankings 2013/2014, the best UK universities are as follows:-

1) Cambridge (1)
2) UCL (2)
3) Imperial (4)
4) Oxford (3)
5) Edinburgh (5)
6) KCL(6)
7) Bristol (7)
8) Manchester (8)
9) Glasgow (9)
10) Birmingham (15)
11) Warwick (10)
12) LSE (12
13) Sheffield (11)
14) Nottingham (13)
15) St Andrews (17)
16) Southampton (14)
17) Durham (16)
18) Leeds (18)
19) York (19)
20) QMUL (23)

(Numbers in brackets represent 2012-2013 rankings)

To be fair Mansun, you need to declare your bias for your alma maters Nottingham and UCL. They do particularly well in this ranking which is probably why you chose it.

Not everyone respects the QS Ranking, it seems to have a fairly heavy british bias. Americans don't believe in it at all, and it makes sense considering they put Stanford, Yale, Columbia and Penn so far down the list.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending