The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Anyone studying Pharmacy at Reading University or in Bridges hall?

Just wondering if there's anyone out there doing the same thing! And I'm in the shared bathroom room in Bridges :smile: think it's a premium room or something
Reply 1
Original post by hannah6666
Just wondering if there's anyone out there doing the same thing! And I'm in the shared bathroom room in Bridges :smile: think it's a premium room or something

Hey, I'm doing Pharmacy too but will be living in Stenton Hall :smile:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by bhav-
Hey, I'm doing Pharmacy too but will be living in Stenton Hall :smile:

Woo good luck :smile: maybe I'll see you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going into my second year of Pharmacy at Reading. The course is really nice, you will love it!
Reply 4
Original post by James A
I'm going into my second year of Pharmacy at Reading. The course is really nice, you will love it!

I hope so :biggrin: how different is it to studying bio/chem at A level?
I hope so :biggrin: how different is it to studying bio/chem at A level?

Good question :holmes:

I'd say it's similar, except that it takes some time to get used to the idea of going through lecture slides / notes and highlighting important information. But first year is just about building on your A-level knowledge so you will see alot of stuff that you learnt from A-level chem and bio (don't be too surprised!)

Practicals are cool and you notice there is alot more equipment that you will be using compared to your A-level practicals (and you get to use the new hopkins labs for your biology practical classes).
Reply 6
Original post by James A
Good question :holmes:

I'd say it's similar, except that it takes some time to get used to the idea of going through lecture slides / notes and highlighting important information. But first year is just about building on your A-level knowledge so you will see alot of stuff that you learnt from A-level chem and bio (don't be too surprised!)

Practicals are cool and you notice there is alot more equipment that you will be using compared to your A-level practicals (and you get to use the new hopkins labs for your biology practical classes).

Sounds pretty good to me! This might sound stupid but how are you examined? Are there little tests throughout the year or are they all in the Summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds pretty good to me! This might sound stupid but how are you examined? Are there little tests throughout the year or are they all in the Summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're examined in summer for all your modules.

But you do have assessments throughout the year for stuff like dispensing medication and you will have loads of coursework to be done throughout the year.

Also you'll have a dosage calculations test in your first term!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by James A
You're examined in summer for all your modules.

But you do have assessments throughout the year for stuff like dispensing medication and you will have loads of coursework to be done throughout the year.

Also you'll have a dosage calculations test in your first term!

That sounds sooo hard! :frown: I found A levels ridiculously hard and had to study constantly :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds sooo hard! :frown: I found A levels ridiculously hard and had to study constantly :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be perfectly honest here, I found uni easier than A-levels when it comes down to the exams.

You won't be doing much work on revision technique but you will have to rely more on knowledge. It's not like A-level biology where you get asked about loads of experimental questions or something.

What grades did you get (if you dont mind me asking?)
Reply 10
Original post by James A
I'll be perfectly honest here, I found uni easier than A-levels when it comes down to the exams.

You won't be doing much work on revision technique but you will have to rely more on knowledge. It's not like A-level biology where you get asked about loads of experimental questions or something.

What grades did you get (if you dont mind me asking?)

So do you need to apply your knowledge more rather than just remember things? I really hope I find it easier as well!

I got AAB with the As in biology and chemistry, what did you get? (If you don't mind me asking either haha)

Posted from TSR Mobile
So do you need to apply your knowledge more rather than just remember things? I really hope I find it easier as well!

I got AAB with the As in biology and chemistry, what did you get? (If you don't mind me asking either haha)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a bit of both actually, you need to remember alot of things but also apply your knowledge, e.g. the organic chemistry, you might have to propose a mechanism with the knowledge you acquired for a nucleophile attack on a particular species to produce your desired drug (that was something we got in our paper :ninja: )

I got AAB too! A's in chem and maths, B in bio.
Reply 12
Original post by James A
It's a bit of both actually, you need to remember alot of things but also apply your knowledge, e.g. the organic chemistry, you might have to propose a mechanism with the knowledge you acquired for a nucleophile attack on a particular species to produce your desired drug (that was something we got in our paper :ninja: )

I got AAB too! A's in chem and maths, B in bio.

Sounds quite hard to me! Hopefully I'll be okay haha :frown: and I didn't study A level maths which makes me slightly worried, do you think I'll struggle more? I didn't take it because I knew I'd probably completely fail even though I have an A in GCSE. Is the maths harder than the maths in chem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds quite hard to me! Hopefully I'll be okay haha :frown: and I didn't study A level maths which makes me slightly worried, do you think I'll struggle more? I didn't take it because I knew I'd probably completely fail even though I have an A in GCSE. Is the maths harder than the maths in chem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, the maths on the course is all arithmetic maths (doing sums in your head). You will have to learn the log functions though which was covered at A-level maths but fortunately the uni runs maths support classes for groups of students who feel they will benefit from someone teaching them the concepts. The log functions really aren't hard at all to grasp.

I don't understand the last paragraph where you talk about maths :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by James A
Not really, the maths on the course is all arithmetic maths (doing sums in your head). You will have to learn the log functions though which was covered at A-level maths but fortunately the uni runs maths support classes for groups of students who feel they will benefit from someone teaching them the concepts. The log functions really aren't hard at all to grasp.

I don't understand the last paragraph where you talk about maths :tongue:

Ok then :smile: I think I'll need a lot of help with the maths :/ I just meant is it a lot harder than the maths in A level chemistry or is it pretty similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok then :smile: I think I'll need a lot of help with the maths :/ I just meant is it a lot harder than the maths in A level chemistry or is it pretty similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's defo not as hard as the maths in A-level chemistry :smile:

http://www.reading.ac.uk/internal/mathssupport/about/ms-about.aspx - these guys will help you out

Out of interest how come you chose Reading if you got AAB? :teehee: Did you not fancy going to the other unis?
Reply 16
Original post by James A
it's defo not as hard as the maths in A-level chemistry :smile:

http://www.reading.ac.uk/internal/mathssupport/about/ms-about.aspx - these guys will help you out

Out of interest how come you chose Reading if you got AAB? :teehee: Did you not fancy going to the other unis?

Thanks :biggrin: well I was only expecting to get ABB at the highest but I looked at a lot of unis and just found Reading the best and felt really comfortable there, plus it's quite close to home! How come you chose to go there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks :biggrin: well I was only expecting to get ABB at the highest but I looked at a lot of unis and just found Reading the best and felt really comfortable there, plus it's quite close to home! How come you chose to go there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I felt the same too, I applied on my gap year (as I just missed out on my grades from the previous year). Reading offered me AAB so I thought I'd stick with em as Bath and UEA would have wanted AAA which I don't think I would have got.

I've also got family who live here so last year I just went over to their house every fortnight for proper cooked food :awesome: haha
Not exactly the same but I'll be doing Biomed and am staying in Bridges too :smile:. Both courses share common modules in the first year
Reply 19
Original post by BiomedAlex
Not exactly the same but I'll be doing Biomed and am staying in Bridges too :smile:. Both courses share common modules in the first year

Yeah they're pretty similar :smile: you're the first person I've seen on here that has said they're in bridges haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending