The Student Room Group

2015 Physics Applicants

Scroll to see replies

-Lancaster :biggrin:
-AS: Physics, Maths, Chem, Art, General Studies (G.S was compulsary) AAAAA and A* in EPQ, doing physics, maths, chem at A2, hope for A*/A*/A or A*/A/A
-astro, quantum, mathematical
-Oxford, Lancaster, Liverpool, Manchester
- Probably MPhys

I'm doing a Nuffield research placement at Lancaster Uni on neutrinos atm :smile:

I read A Brief History of TIme and kind of got it the second time, and I'm reading QED right now and I don't get most of it but apparently it helps to have done A2 physics first.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by emu_neutrino
-Lancaster :biggrin:
-AS: Physics, Maths, Chem, Art, General Studies (G.S was compulsary) AAAAA and A* in EPQ, doing physics, maths, chem at A2, hope for A*/A*/A or A*/A/A
-astro, quantum, mathematical
-Oxford, Lancaster, Liverpool, Manchester
- Probably MPhys

I'm doing a Nuffield research placement at Lancaster Uni on neutrinos atm :smile:

I read A Brief History of TIme and kind of got it the second time, and I'm reading QED right now and I don't get most of it but apparently it helps to have done A2 physics first.

Hey, did you actually get those 5 A's at AS yesterday?
If so well in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by DanRigg96#
So what did everyone get then?

I got:
AS Maths A
AS Physics B
AS History C (was always gonna happen)
A2 Maths A

Just going to resit my Physics controlled assessment because I got a C and it dragged my grade down to 4 UMS below A
So all in all happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pleased with the grades but not so much on the UMS.

AS Biology A
AS Chemistry A
AS Maths A
AS Physics B

2 UMS below an A in Physics -_- I'll probably resit an exam or two, depending on whether I need an A or A* at A2.
I'm going to drop Biology as well, is anyone else dropping a subject?
Original post by Anaris
I'm pleased with the grades but not so much on the UMS.

AS Biology A
AS Chemistry A
AS Maths A
AS Physics B

2 UMS below an A in Physics -_- I'll probably resit an exam or two, depending on whether I need an A or A* at A2.
I'm going to drop Biology as well, is anyone else dropping a subject?

Pfffftt yeah, dropping History
Pfffftt yeah, dropping History

I'm doing Further Maths next year so i won't just be doing Physics A Level haha
Hi I'm Joanne and I live in the South East. My A levels are: Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and English Literature (which I am dropping at As). I'm interested in Astrophysics and the courses I am looking at are UCL and Kent (I am unsure about the others for now!)

I thought I'd comment because I am so lost with my personal statement! I am stuck with the things I have done to show my passion for Physics. I have read a few books, but I've read that they find that repetitive as it is in pretty much 100% of the ps. Also, I have visited JPL and spent a week at UCLA but this was more about climate change than Physics :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey guys:

Still hoping to apply for physics

I got: AAAB at AS (B in chemistry) and an A* for A2 maths!

I was wondering how many other people took maths early and are applying for physics? Or anything that isn't maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Joanne, I hope your results went good!

When writing about books try giving an example of something you found interesting in that book, this is my book segment of the PS:

"To widen my Physics knowledge in preparation for the course I have read many books. My favourites are part of The Very Short Introduction series of which I have read books titled; Cosmology, Relativity, Nuclear Power, Particle Physics and Quantum Theory. I found reading books like this very enlightening as it covered topics I vaguely knew about in more depth. In Quantum Theory by John Polkinghorne, he writes about the possibility that the probabilistic nature of Quantum Theory could stem from the fact that we don't know enough about sub atomic particles to achieve a classical theory, much like if we knew everything about the conditions of a coin throw we would know the outcome. Instead we say heads has probability half. I found this very thought provoking."

For other things to say, become a member of the IOP and say you enjoy keeping up to date with Physics research with the magazines you receive every month

Other than that I can't think of anything else, mention how your English AS will be useful with literacy skills, vital for reports and shiz at uni

Hope that helps, also I'd look at Sussex and Southampton University if they're close enough :smile:

Yeah in my personal statement I've just focused on one book and explained why I liked it and what it taught me! Much more insightful than just listing 15 books!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fred Cantoni
Hey guys:

Still hoping to apply for physics

I got: AAAB at AS (B in chemistry) and an A* for A2 maths!

I was wondering how many other people took maths early and are applying for physics? Or anything that isn't maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow A* in Maths in one year is a massive achievement!
I did it a year early too and got A, got 80% and 83% in C3 and C4 instead of the 90% I needed for A*

You can basically go wherever you please with A* maths, I would've set my sights on Imperial! I'm aiming for Bristol now though :smile:
Wow A* in Maths in one year is a massive achievement!
I did it a year early too and got A, got 80% and 83% in C3 and C4 instead of the 90% I needed for A*

You can basically go wherever you please with A* maths, I would've set my sights on Imperial! I'm aiming for Bristol now though :smile:

Aha thanks bro!

Oh well done not bad marks considering they weren't exactly easy exams! You going to redo it?

Yeah I didn't want to go to London for uni so I've put Bath, Bristol, Birmingham, lancaster and trying my luck with Cambridge although I'm not hopeful!! But mate I'd try imperial, you'd be surprised how many offers they give out!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aha thanks bro!

Oh well done not bad marks considering they weren't exactly easy exams! You going to redo it?

Yeah I didn't want to go to London for uni so I've put Bath, Bristol, Birmingham, lancaster and trying my luck with Cambridge although I'm not hopeful!! But mate I'd try imperial, you'd be surprised how many offers they give out!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think A represents my maths skills well, A* I would have to work stupidly hard and get a bit lucky. So I'm happy with an A and I'll just try and get an A in further maths now too

Do they really? I might use them as the hopeful choice then, I wasn't going to because their website makes it look like A* in Maths is a necessity
I think A represents my maths skills well, A* I would have to work stupidly hard and get a bit lucky. So I'm happy with an A and I'll just try and get an A in further maths now too

Do they really? I might use them as the hopeful choice then, I wasn't going to because their website makes it look like A* in Maths is a necessity

Yeah good plan an A early is still very impressive!

Well you get 5 choices, there's no point having 5 that you'll know you should get in to if have at least one that's maybe a bit ambitious cause you just never know, this could just happen to be the year that imperial gets a low number of applications and accepts people with As in maths, who knows?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah good plan an A early is still very impressive!

Well you get 5 choices, there's no point having 5 that you'll know you should get in to if have at least one that's maybe a bit ambitious cause you just never know, this could just happen to be the year that imperial gets a low number of applications and accepts people with As in maths, who knows?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's true!
One thing I am struggling with is that there is a possibility of getting ABB at A2 and I can't seem to find any good unis at that level that research both astro and particle
Yeah that's true!
One thing I am struggling with is that there is a possibility of getting ABB at A2 and I can't seem to find any good unis at that level that research both astro and particle

Hmm dunno about their requirements but lecsiter I know they have slightly lower offers and are one of the best unis in the world for astro research!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm dunno about their requirements but lecsiter I know they have slightly lower offers and are one of the best unis in the world for astro research!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah their astro research is amazing but that's your only option if you go there, they're AAB but I just couldn't live in Leicester for 4 years... Fussy Physics problems
Yeah their astro research is amazing but that's your only option if you go there, they're AAB but I just couldn't live in Leicester for 4 years... Fussy Physics problems

Yeah that was my exact problem with it: great if you wanted to do astro, but only astro, I don't know about any others then sorry try looking at unis that are around the same as lecsiter on the rankings chances are they have decent research and similar entrance grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that was my exact problem with it: great if you wanted to do astro, but only astro, I don't know about any others then sorry try looking at unis that are around the same as lecsiter on the rankings chances are they have decent research and similar entrance grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sussex Uni although their MSci grades are AAA, their BSc grades are AAB-ABB so do you reckon I should apply for BSc instead? Can always move to the MSci later...
I sent them an email about it and their made me even more confused tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117
What are the conditions exactly for getting an A* at A2?
For Maths I know you have to have 80% overall and 90% in C3 and C4, but what is it like for other subjects, i.e Physics and Chemistry?
Original post by Anaris
What are the conditions exactly for getting an A* at A2?
For Maths I know you have to have 80% overall and 90% in C3 and C4, but what is it like for other subjects, i.e Physics and Chemistry?

I think in Physics it's 90% in PH4 and PH5
Reply 119
I think in Physics it's 90% in PH4 and PH5

I'm confused as to how your AS results affect your overall A2 result

Quick Reply

Latest