The Student Room Group

Can i get some genuine advice? I think i completely screwed up my AS Year

Right now i am just completely lost on what to do, my grades for AS are pretty bad and i have no idea on how to try and fix this.

My Grades Overall grades are:

Maths: C
Chemistry: D
Computing: D

along with this i have also done one of those Btecs that can be taken along with A Levels, currently i do not know my result for my Engineering Btec since i still have not received it in the mail yet.
Does Uni's even acknowledge my Btec results or was it just a waste?

With my current grades i have no idea on what i can do Uni wise, i still dont know what course i want to do yet but im thinking about something along the lines of maybe (just maybe) maths, engineering or architecture? but ive checked on UCAS and all of the entry requirements are high as hell...

Another thing about Uni is that i probably have the least amount of knowledge about it out of anybody ever, i know how stupid this sounds but am i supposed to be writing up personal statements or something to send to Uni's hoping that they might make me an offer? I literally have no idea about how any of this works :frown:

My Results:

Chemistry: (OCR) -----Grade: -----Points:
F331 -------------------d ---------45
F332 -------------------e ---------64
F333 -------------------a ---------48

Maths: (OCR) -------Grade: -------Points:
(C1)4751 ----------- b ------------70
(C2)4752 ------------d ------------55
(S1)4766 ------------b ------------75

Computing: (WJEC) ------Grade: ------Points:
110101 -------------------e -----------63
110201 -------------------b -----------54

so what do you think i should do? try resit some of the exams? retake the year? give up on life? any help will be appreciated
Resit C2 and 110101, and try to boost those grades up (as the maths and computing are probably gonna be the easiest ones to boost the grade.) Work hard on A2s- loads of practise papers, reading around the subject etc. Hopefully, C2 and 110101 grades will end up higher, and therefore you get good grades at the end.
those really aren't absolutely terrible grades. resit a few, try to get optimistic predicted grades, and settle for a BCC Uni; fr a STEM subject, it's hardly the end of the world.
Original post by chem@uni
Your personal statement is something you send a long with your results to unis usually just says abit about you and why you want to do that course. You could resit certain modules it looks to me like in each of your subjects there was just one exam that went badly, you could redo them next year along with your A2 and hopefully that means you can get a better grade. There are so many courses out there even ones that dont need specific A-levels to look at. I dont think you need to retake the whole year just a few resits should be enough. Don't give up just work hard next year and everything will work out. (I dont know much about Btecs so cant help out there sorry)

Original post by GoldenEmblem277
Resit C2 and 110101, and try to boost those grades up (as the maths and computing are probably gonna be the easiest ones to boost the grade.) Work hard on A2s- loads of practise papers, reading around the subject etc. Hopefully, C2 and 110101 grades will end up higher, and therefore you get good grades at the end.

Thanks for the help, ill probably wait to see what i got in my Btec Engineering, resit the C2 and the Computing one to get better grades and work harder in the A2 year, if my Engineering grades isnt so bad ill probably carry that on, hopefully ill try and get something like BBC since the Btec 'should' be the equivalent to an A level
Original post by 7 Level Magikarp
Right now i am just completely lost on what to do, my grades for AS are pretty bad and i have no idea on how to try and fix this.

My Grades Overall grades are:

Maths: C
Chemistry: D
Computing: D

along with this i have also done one of those Btecs that can be taken along with A Levels, currently i do not know my result for my Engineering Btec since i still have not received it in the mail yet.
Does Uni's even acknowledge my Btec results or was it just a waste?

With my current grades i have no idea on what i can do Uni wise, i still dont know what course i want to do yet but im thinking about something along the lines of maybe (just maybe) maths, engineering or architecture? but ive checked on UCAS and all of the entry requirements are high as hell...

Another thing about Uni is that i probably have the least amount of knowledge about it out of anybody ever, i know how stupid this sounds but am i supposed to be writing up personal statements or something to send to Uni's hoping that they might make me an offer? I literally have no idea about how any of this works :frown:

My Results:

Chemistry: (OCR) -----Grade: -----Points:
F331 -------------------d ---------45
F332 -------------------e ---------64
F333 -------------------a ---------48

Maths: (OCR) -------Grade: -------Points:
(C1)4751 ----------- b ------------70
(C2)4752 ------------d ------------55
(S1)4766 ------------b ------------75

Computing: (WJEC) ------Grade: ------Points:
110101 -------------------e -----------63
110201 -------------------b -----------54

so what do you think i should do? try resit some of the exams? retake the year? give up on life? any help will be appreciated

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
Reply 5
You've done much better than me when I sat my AS exams. I came out with CDUU! Resat year 12 though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
How did you do the 2nd time round?

Honestly, not that great because I stupidly did the same subjects (sciences) again when I should have chosen subjects which were my strengths (humanities). I got ABC for A2.
Reply 7
ABC is good well done :smile: applied to uni or anything?

unfortunately missed UCL, but going to Edinburgh. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest