The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Did anyone else's year group as a whole not do particularly well? I did fine in my results but a lot of my year seem to have done much worse than expected :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 441
Original post by O133
I'll do all the vowels:
A is pronounced like in cat (short) or in man (long - at least how I say it)
E is pronounced like in pen (short) or in bear (long)
I is pronounced like in tin (short) or in clean (long)
O is pronounced like in song (short) or in sore (long)
U is pronounced the same as I down south, or like German ü or French u up north
W is pronounced like in book (short) or soon (long)
Y is pronounced the same as I when it is in the last or only syllable, and like a cross between sun and book elsewhere (and in the words y, yr and yn)

Combinations of vowels:
AE, AI and AU are usually pronounced like in time (although they may be pronounced like EA, EI and EU below)
EA, EI and EU are usually pronounced like in game (although they may be pronounced like AE, AI and AU above)
OE, OI and OU are pronounced like in toy
WY is pronounced like a cross between "oo-ey" and "oi"

I'm actually going to save this post somewhere for future reference.
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Did anyone else's year group as a whole not do particularly well? I did fine in my results but a lot of my year seem to have done much worse than expected :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a whole from what I've seen we've done decently. But as a private school. I have to admit the people who did really well worked hard/are quite smart.

There were less A grades I think, and certainly a drop at A2!

Original post by emcat
I'm actually going to save this post somewhere for future reference.

Woo there are slight variations
Original post by L'Evil Fish
As a whole from what I've seen we've done decently. But as a private school. I have to admit the people who did really well worked hard/are quite smart.

There were less A grades I think, and certainly a drop at A2!

Woo there are slight variations

Aha I'm a private school too, I think some people in my year probably became complacent tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aha I'm a private school too, I think some people in my year probably became complacent tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Explains the Mandarin!:tongue:

I swear it seems there's like a handful who did really really really well...

And then the rest were mediocre/below average, so I don't know what to think
Reply 445

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exact same seems to have happend to the majority of my year with most of them missing their predicted grades by a mile.
Explains the Mandarin!:tongue:

I swear it seems there's like a handful who did really really really well...

And then the rest were mediocre/below average, so I don't know what to think

Yep exactly the same in my school, people who want to apply for med and a vet and the people who do further maths are the only ones with 4 As, everyone else seems to have majority Bs with a few people getting Cs Ds and someone got a U

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jlendon
Exact same seems to have happend to the majority of my year with most of them missing their predicted grades by a mile.

Yeah it's so weird, people have either smashed it or bombed out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jlendon
Lincolnshire :-D

Leicestershire!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Most people including me did worse than predicted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep exactly the same in my school, people who want to apply for med and a vet and the people who do further maths are the only ones with 4 As, everyone else seems to have majority Bs with a few people getting Cs Ds and someone got a U

Posted from TSR Mobile

The lowest I think so far is CDEE or something.

But then even TSR people's grades seem lower. However... Cambridge applicants :facepalm:
Original post by blamethenargles
Yes. Most people including me did worse than predicted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw no :frown: reckon they've made it harder this year then?
The lowest I think so far is CDEE or something.

But then even TSR people's grades seem lower. However... Cambridge applicants :facepalm:

I know someone with bbcu and another person with BCDD

Yeah people either seem to have got As with high ums or had got much worse than they expected, weird

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah people either seem to have got As with high ums or had got much worse than they expected, weird

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh

I agree. I think all my exams were a step up this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know someone who got straight Us :eek::eek:
I also know loads of people who missed their offers but still got their places and i know people who went into clearing :/ and the theres the cambridge for medicine with 4 A*s people -.-
Original post by Meli.Hardege
I know someone who got straight Us :eek::eek:
I also know loads of people who missed their offers but still got their places and i know people who went into clearing :/ and the theres the cambridge for medicine with 4 A*s people -.-

Omg straight Us is a disaster
A girl from my school is going to do med at cambridge next year with her 3A*s -_- hahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg straight Us is a disaster
A girl from my school is going to do med at cambridge next year with her 3A*s -_- hahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know I'd cry if I got Us hah I retook year 12 but I didn't get a U I just wasn't happy with what I got or my subjects :') ... I get so jealous of people with all A*s it's not even fair -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw no :frown: reckon they've made it harder this year then?

Rumours are going round that they have... And hearing other people's grades are making me agree.
Although one girl in my maths class got an A in every exam she sat, and she was acting like she was dumb all year and didn't understand anything. I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blamethenargles
Rumours are going round that they have... And hearing other people's grades are making me agree.
Although one girl in my maths class got an A in every exam she sat, and she was acting like she was dumb all year and didn't understand anything. I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't seem to have affected A2 grasses really, just ASs maybe they're trying to calm grade inflation? Still annoying though

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesn't seem to have affected A2 grasses really, just ASs maybe they're trying to calm grade inflation? Still annoying though

Posted from TSR Mobile

It could be due to the absence of January exams... but Grades seem to always be 'the best grades ever' in the news so maybe this year they marked them more harshly so they don't seem easy? They want to change the grade system in England completely so maybe this is the first step... I'm not sure how Wales will be affected.

Latest