The Student Room Group

Advice from previous Year 11's to upcoming Year 11's

Scroll to see replies

Don't leave it TOO late.
Reply 141
I've already finished year 11 but in year 10 I was really nervous which was probably normal. Overall year 11 was one of the highlights of school life. Yes, you obviously have exams but being the same group of people for the past 5 years and then realizing that this was it hit us all hard, meaning that over the year we all became really close. People who I hadn't really got on with or not even spoken to I became really good friends with.

I sat 17 exams, English Lang, English Lit, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, RE, I.C.T, P.E, Geography, French and Food Technology.

Advice to upcoming year 11s:

Attend as many revision sessions as you can - even if you feel confident in a topic still go to just clear a topic up

Don't put revision off at home - find a quiet place to revise and do it little and often, don't cram it all in the week before and find a revision technique that works for you

Be organised - make a revision timetable, get all your stationary together

Take time out to relax - always make time for yourself whether its going out with friends, check twitter, taking the dog for a walk

Good luck, you'll be fine! :wink:
Original post by funkydee19
I see that this is your first post. Welcome to TSR & all the best with your results :smile:

Thank You :smile:
1) What GCSE's are you taking?
Maths, English, English Literature, Additional Science, ICT, Spanish, Geography, Food Technology and maybe Further Maths but I don't have to decide that until we go back.
2) What are your expectations of year 11?
I'm really scared, I got really stressed out in Year 10 so I think Year 11 will be worse.
3)Are you looking forward to year 11?
Nope, I hate exams and I don't know anything about what I want to do post-16 and I have 2 months left to work it out
Original post by abigayle_aloud
Maths, English, English Literature, Additional Science, ICT, Spanish, Geography, Food Technology and maybe Further Maths but I don't have to decide that until we go back.
I'm really scared, I got really stressed out in Year 10 so I think Year 11 will be worse.
Nope, I hate exams and I don't know anything about what I want to do post-16 and I have 2 months left to work it out

Some colleges do allow you to submit your application latest January so there is time. But I would recommend picking topics that you like currently or talking to the careers advisor at school. Also speak to a lot of teachers at sixth form/college open days they helped me more than the careers advisor did in making my decision. But all the best in year 11 :smile:
When did everyone start revising for their exams???
my advice: ACE YOUR BLODDY COURSEWORK!!! GOD DAMMIT
Original post by Sophie7699

I started in February but it was wayy to early for me so started back during my Easter holiday in April
Original post by Sophie7699

The night before - even then it was just a quick flick through the book type thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) How was year 11 for you?
It went fine, but looking back on it, I could've worked a lot harder and I wish I'd started revising earlier ect but that's a lesson learnt I suppose haha

2) How many exams did you sit?

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
PLEASE WORK HARD AND DO ALL TASKS THAT TEACHERS SET YOU PLEASE x
I'm going into Year 11 now so:

English Language, English Literature, Maths, Science, Additional Science, Short Course R.S, French, Spanish, History and BTEC Music :smile:

Which is 21 exams in total ;_;

Well, I'm expecting it to be pretty stressful and I also expect it'll bring the students closer together with the teachers and also bring us together as a year group. I'm expecting lots of work and tons of revision and dedication. I'm also expecting to be very tired XD

I guess so. Finally, I'll be at the top of the school! xD The teachers said to us at the end of year 10, when the year 11s had left "You're going into Year 11 now. In all honesty, don't tell the other year groups this, you are our number 1 priority. The other year groups do not matter to us anywhere near as much as you do." I'm scared though because it's all finally coming together; all the years of working culminate to this! I'm the sort of person who is going to get far too stressed about the exams and work myself too hard so I need to remember to relax sometimes and not panic! :biggrin:
Also, a lot of people are saying that the best form of revision is past papers.

Er...
What about if you've done all of the past papers for all your subjects already? xD
Original post by BEARichards
Also, a lot of people are saying that the best form of revision is past papers.

Er...
What about if you've done all of the past papers for all your subjects already? xD

There's always more past papers available. They are just the best as they allow you to get exam practice. If you think you've done them all already then there is no harm in going over them again. I can say that they have been a great help to me as I received one grade higher then I expected of myself for all of my sciences, and I did a lot of past papers for Science.
Original post by funkydee19
There's always more past papers available. They are just the best as they allow you to get exam practice. If you think you've done them all already then there is no harm in going over them again. I can say that they have been a great help to me as I received one grade higher then I expected of myself for all of my sciences, and I did a lot of past papers for Science.

Okay, thank you :biggrin: I have to say, science will be the one subject I will be revising for most omg I really hate science ;_; We did our mocks in June and somehow I managed to scrape an A in chemistry and 1 mark of an A in physics :redface:
Yeah I have some advice

Y'all gone hate it so much lol good luck

It was the best year i'd had it the whole of secondary school, it was enjoyable but also very serious

14 i think, I would of sat 18 but I dropped latin 2 months before the exams

Start revision early, thats a key thing. Also do lots of past papers and READ the mark schemes, they help a lot. I was in the middle of my chemistry exam when I saw that one of the questions was exactly the same as the mark scheme that I had read just that morning. I got an A in Chemistry, a few off an A* :smile: Don't stress too much & have fun as its your last year together xxx
Original post by BEARichards
Okay, thank you :biggrin: I have to say, science will be the one subject I will be revising for most omg I really hate science ;_; We did our mocks in June and somehow I managed to scrape an A in chemistry and 1 mark of an A in physics :redface:

You're welcome. & Ahh that's really good, I wish you all the best in year 11 :smile:
Original post by a-spiringmedic

It was the best year i'd had it the whole of secondary school, it was enjoyable but also very serious

14 i think, I would of sat 18 but I dropped latin 2 months before the exams

Start revision early, thats a key thing. Also do lots of past papers and READ the mark schemes, they help a lot. I was in the middle of my chemistry exam when I saw that one of the questions was exactly the same as the mark scheme that I had read just that morning. I got an A in Chemistry, a few off an A* :smile: Don't stress too much & have fun as its your last year together xxx

Yep same with me, quite a few of the questions I had read the answer to on a mark scheme from other exams the night before.
Previous year 11 students: what do you need to do throughout the year to make sure you get As and A*s?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kauther99
Previous year 11 students: what do you need to do throughout the year to make sure you get As and A*s?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A big brain, a lot of patience, and no social life:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest