The Student Room Group

How did/do you find Psychology GCSE?

This is my first post on here (well, on any forum website actually) so sorry if I sound kinda odd...

I'm going into year 10 in September and one of the new subjects I'll be starting is Pyschology (Edexcel if that makes any difference). I took it because it looks interesting, certainly more so than many of the other options I had!

Is it hard? Is there a lot of work? Is it interesting? Just share your general thoughts. Thanks :3
I did it in Yr 9 and got an A*. I didn't find it too hard,although there were lots of studies and theories to remember. It was really interesting and enjoyable! I was on edexcel
Reply 2
Hey there, unfortunately I can't talk about psychology at GCSE level because I didn't take it. However, I did take it at A Level and the topics you learn are similar, from what I have heard. Anyway, it was absolutely the most fascinating subject I have ever studied. I loved it and had so much fun studying it. So much so that I am going onto study it at University next month. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AlissaNB
Hey there, unfortunately I can't talk about psychology at GCSE level because I didn't take it. However, I did take it at A Level and the topics you learn are similar, from what I have heard. Anyway, it was absolutely the most fascinating subject I have ever studied. I loved it and had so much fun studying it. So much so that I am going onto study it at University next month. :smile:

what topics did you study? :3
I did it at GCSE and you learn a lot of things about human behaviour, it's a very insightful subject. However, the exam is the downside, there are a LOT of studies to memorise, but if you memorise them all well you should be fine in the exam. :smile:
Original post by Pokémontrainer
I did it at GCSE and you learn a lot of things about human behaviour, it's a very insightful subject. However, the exam is the downside, there are a LOT of studies to memorise, but if you memorise them all well you should be fine in the exam. :smile:

sounds good, I can use my special skills to know when people are lying and stuff :cool:
Original post by icy_typhoon
sounds good, I can use my special skills to know when people are lying and stuff :cool:

Haha, that is true! :tongue: Good luck with what you end up choosing. :smile:
Reply 7
what topics did you study? :3

Topics within psychology at A Level? In the first year we studied many core psychological case studies and research methods. In the second year we studied areas of psychology such as abnormal, relationship and forensic psychology, as well as research methods too. :smile:
Reply 8
Hi :smile: I am about to start A2 psychology, and studied Edexcel psych at GCSE. Overall, I personally enjoyed psychology. (assuming the specification hasn't changed) Parts of the second unit were really interesting - when looking at criminality and offender profiling.Quite a few studies, though personally I quite enjoyed learning them.

Downside, there is only one textbook (again, though that might have changed since I did the course) and unit one is somewhat boring when it comes to perception. Models of dreaming are quite interesting though. I advise that you pace yourself with your revision - the course tends to finish really quickly, and you find yourself revising the Sam e things over and over again. Try and find fun ways of revising like acting out the studies - it works a lot better :smile:
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Haha, that is true! :tongue: Good luck with what you end up choosing. :smile:

Original post by AlissaNB
Topics within psychology at A Level? In the first year we studied many core psychological case studies and research methods. In the second year we studied areas of psychology such as abnormal, relationship and forensic psychology, as well as research methods too. :smile:

according to my school's website during GCSE I'll be studying: perception, dreaming, crime, TV and aggression, and phobias. A few similarities :smile:
Original post by TammyIce
Hi :smile: I am about to start A2 psychology, and studied Edexcel psych at GCSE. Overall, I personally enjoyed psychology. (assuming the specification hasn't changed) Parts of the second unit were really interesting - when looking at criminality and offender profiling.Quite a few studies, though personally I quite enjoyed learning them.

Downside, there is only one textbook (again, though that might have changed since I did the course) and unit one is somewhat boring when it comes to perception. Models of dreaming are quite interesting though. I advise that you pace yourself with your revision - the course tends to finish really quickly, and you find yourself revising the Sam e things over and over again. Try and find fun ways of revising like acting out the studies - it works a lot better :smile:

judging by the topics you've just named, I'll be doing exactly the same course you did :smile: I hope I'll enjoy it as much as you!
according to my school's website during GCSE I'll be studying: perception, dreaming, crime, TV and aggression, and phobias. A few similarities :smile:

A really fascinating set of topics! I studied aggression and phobias within the first year of A levels whilst learning about various core studies. I imagine you will come across the names of Bandura (aggression) and Bennett-Levy (phobias) in your studies. You'll probably learn about Freud for dreaming too, although his theories are very questionable. XD

Quick Reply

Latest