The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
" A candidate reaching the correct answer will receive full marks, regardless of the method used to answer the question."so if I get all the right answers I will get 20/20 for each question that has been sorted.
Source:http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/7911-step-specification.pdf

not if its a proof or show that question. Lose all marks through one little mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61

I agree with the others; your OP is disorganised, unfocused and fallacious, and will certainly put off the audience it is intended for. However, we can help you to write and update it (I personally nominate myself :tongue:). Be warned, though, that if you don't heed the snowballing consensus, you may find that another thread is created to replace this one.

By the way, I would say that the disorganisation in the OP and your work are related, and will hinder you a lot doing undergrad maths if you don't sort it out, both in terms of mental habits and communication.
for the integral to become the negative of the original alpha and beta must equal the same values but the opposite way round what if alpha>beta but alpha wasn't the same as the beta before then this would lead to a different answer.I suppose if we assume that alpha and beta equal pi/2 and 0 then this solves this problem I don't get why you can do that though.

The first part of your sentence is correct, but then you seem to be overcomplicating things. See the spoiler below.

Spoiler

I ended up with exactly as I described with 1/u for x in the brackets multiplied by -u on the denominator integral of -1/(usqrt((1/u-alpha)(beta-1/u))).

Yes that is correct. In STEP questions, you usually have to use the previous question parts to answer the future parts of the question. So how might you use the first part of the question (i.e. the integral result given) to evaluate this integral?
Original post by Pyoro
I agree with the others; your OP is disorganised, unfocused and fallacious, and will certainly put off the audience it is intended for. However, we can help you to write and update it (I personally nominate myself :tongue:). Be warned, though, that if you don't heed the snowballing consensus, you may find that another thread is created to replace this one.

By the way, I would say that the disorganisation in the OP and your work are related, and will hinder you a lot doing undergrad maths if you don't sort it out, both in terms of mental habits and communication.

Snowballing consensus...sounds like a great name for a band!

Sorry, off-topic :colondollar: well said though! Where are you applying?
Reply 64
Original post by alexmufc1995
I know, I had him telling me about the Oxford application process before, which I'd actually been through!

Where do you think all those gems came from?

Oh wow I was on my phone so I hadn't seen his gems but in a way it's quite impressive!
Congrats on Oxford!
The funny bit is that he's predicted himself 1,2,2 and 'has done a few questions' and therefore feels he is better prepared to talk about this stuff than the guys that have been helping on here for years. I went through the Cambridge STEP process this last year and made my offer but I wouldn't feel even remotely qualified to take over from those posters.
dalek by completing all questions and understanding solutions will not guarantee you a 1 or even a 2 in step. STEP questions are very different every time so i doubt you can just do past papers and do step like everyone does with a levels. STEP requires real mathematical intellect not just revision revision revision the best person will
come out on top. I would try working on the way you approach questions and solutions and your actual maths skills rather then rushing through as many questions as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lets make a new thread lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tom777
Oh wow I was on my phone so I hadn't seen his gems but in a way it's quite impressive!
Congrats on Oxford!
The funny bit is that he's predicted himself 1,2,2 and 'has done a few questions' and therefore feels he is better prepared to talk about this stuff than the guys that have been helping on here for years. I went through the Cambridge STEP process this last year and made my offer but I wouldn't feel even remotely qualified to take over from those posters.

Congratulations! What college are you off too? Straight maths?

Same, I just about feel prepared to deal with A Level stuff, nevermind interview/MAT questions. I guess a little bit of confidence can't hurt right? Maybe Dalek's taken that a tad too far...
Reply 68
Snowballing consensus...sounds like a great name for a band!

Sorry, off-topic :colondollar: well said though! Where are you applying?

Haha, thanks... I just looked up the Wikipedia rule that I got the name from and it doesn't even mean what I thought it meant. But it's clear enough from context, I'm sure :h:.

I'm actually going into a second year in Cam doing maths, but am helping out as part of my runaway procrastination plan to spread some knowledge and happiness. :tongue:
In 2008 or 2009 or something the Further Maths syllabus changed so that you only do the harder stuff(differential equations etc) in A2 did this affect STEP?

No
Original post by Pyoro
Haha, thanks... I just looked up the Wikipedia rule that I got the name from and it doesn't even mean what I thought it meant. But it's clear enough from context, I'm sure :h:.

I'm actually going into a second year in Cam doing maths, but am helping out as part of my runaway procrastination plan to spread some knowledge and happiness. :tongue:

Yeah don't worry :rolleyes:

Wow, which college are you at? Ahah I can see that becoming quite involved, as you've hinted at :tongue:
Original post by ctrls
I tried something similar last year, my STEP prep consisted of starting at the 1994 papers and working my way up, attempting every question I had the knowledge to answer. I only made it up to around the 2005 papers by May and while I did attempt most of the 2007-2013 papers as mocks, I clearly spent more time doing the older, less relevant papers which might not have been beneficial. I feel it may have been better if I instead started around 2009 and worked my way down, rather than the other way round.For what it's worth, my standard recommendation is:

Reserve the most recent paper (i.e. 2014 right now) to use for a mock close to the exam. Work backwards from the year before that until you run out of time / exam papers / enthusiasm. The most recent papers will be the best reflection of the current syllabus and examiner's mindset, and by the time you get to the years where the syllabus is markedly difficult, you will be better able to cope (either by doing the questions despite the difficulties, or by recognizing that "this is no longer on the syllabus, so I won't bother").

With all due respect to the OP, I think a new thread with a different owner is going to be a better plan...
Reply 72
Yeah don't worry :rolleyes:

Wow, which college are you at? Ahah I can see that becoming quite involved, as you've hinted at :tongue:

Churchill... and it's no problem as you can flexibly spend as much time doing it as you like. The discipline must come from within :ninja2: :wink:.

Where are you next year?
Reply 73
Congratulations! What college are you off too? Straight maths?

Same, I just about feel prepared to deal with A Level stuff, nevermind interview/MAT questions. I guess a little bit of confidence can't hurt right? Maybe Dalek's taken that a tad too far...

Thank you! Straight maths at Jesus for me, you?
Haha yes I can just about handle the A Level stuff (as long as you don't ask about rotational dynamics or decision.......) and maybe the STEP questions that look nice but I don't think I'll be any braver than that!
Dalek has created a whole new level...
Original post by Pyoro
Churchill... and it's no problem as you can flexibly spend as much time doing it as you like. The discipline must come from within :ninja2: :wink:.

Where are you next year?

Ooooh one of my friends is starting the maths course at Churchill this year! What a coincidence! :tongue:

Pembroke, Oxford :biggrin:
Reply 75
I agree with most of the sane posters above. Having a muddled Original Post, and giving Dalek the authority of being Thread Starter, will not be conducive to helping people through STEP. In the past two years the STEP preparation threads have been very active and helpful resources, particularly for people who otherwise do not have anywhere to discuss STEP. There is no doubt in my mind that the impact of the threads has been to encourage and enable people to do better in STEP, and that this has had a notable impact on overall attainment. When people ask me, for example at open days, how to best prepare for STEP, I often point them to The Student Room and in particular to what has until this thread been an excellent and to-the-point Original Post. Leaving aside the Original Post, I do not feel that there is sufficient merit or wisdom in any of Dalek's posts so far, to warrant him having the Thread Starter moniker.

In light of Dalek's stubborness and unwillingness to listen, I urge someone with the sufficient permissions to close this thread, so that a replacement may be created by someone more suited to the task.
Original post by Tom777
Thank you! Straight maths at Jesus for me, you?
Haha yes I can just about handle the A Level stuff (as long as you don't ask about rotational dynamics or decision.......) and maybe the STEP questions that look nice but I don't think I'll be any braver than that!
Dalek has created a whole new level...

Math/Philosophy at Pembroke :smile:

Ah, did you sit decision? It grew on me throughout the year, I have to be honest!

Sounds like there's a leaning towards a new thread anyway!
Original post by und
I agree with most of the sane posters above. Having a muddled Original Post, and giving Dalek the authority of being Thread Starter, will not be conducive to helping people through STEP. In the past two years the STEP preparation threads have been very active and helpful resources, particularly for people who otherwise do not have anywhere to discuss STEP. There is no doubt in my mind that the impact of the threads has been to encourage and enable people to do better in STEP, and that this has had a notable impact on overall attainment. When people ask me, for example at open days, how to best prepare for STEP, I often point them to The Student Room and in particular to what has until this thread been an excellent and to-the-point Original Post. Leaving aside the Original Post, I do not feel that there is sufficient merit or wisdom in any of Dalek's posts so far, to warrant him having the Thread Starter moniker.

In light of Dalek's stubborness and unwillingness to listen, I urge someone with the sufficient permissions to close this thread, so that a replacement may be created by someone more suited to the task.

I could close it but I'm not inclined to as it is serving a purpose at the moment. There are some keen people about! If you can persuade a more suitable* person to start a thread at a later date then do so and I will make it into a sticky and this one can wither on the vine. I don't see any need for this to happen immediately. I have modified the thread name in the interim.

* sorry Dalek
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 78
Math/Philosophy at Pembroke :smile:

Ah, did you sit decision? It grew on me throughout the year, I have to be honest!

Sounds like there's a leaning towards a new thread anyway!

Well good luck for next year I'm sure you'll love it, I can't wait personally!

Yes I sat everything but in my opinion there should be a special place in Hell reserved for decision...

I've just seen the new name which did make me laugh.
Reply 79
Ooooh one of my friends is starting the maths course at Churchill this year! What a coincidence! :tongue:

Pembroke, Oxford :biggrin:

Interesting.. (I will do my best to find out who :wink:)
I also have a friend in the year above doing physics at your college, heheh.

Nice; you might even find it a bit less stressful than your friend, eh? Tbh, all the evidence I've had so far suggests it's the same damn course for the first three years.

Latest

Trending

Trending