The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick vs Nottingham?

Hi,

I'm looking to study economics and have my firm choice as either one of these two, as they have similar entry requirements. I have been looking online at both of the uni campus' and nottingham looks so much better! It looks greener, more modern in terms of buildings, sports facilities, shop outlets, accommodation e.t.c. I haven't been able to find a similar video for warwick. I understand that warwick is a more prestigous and target uni, and if i had the choice of the two would go there just for that reason. can anybody studying at warwick tell me if the campus really is as dull as it looks online? re: buildings, sports facilities, accomadtion... as above. Also is there anything which you wished you knew about uni life/campus before you went there ( specific to that uni) . What are term times like? where do you stay after your first yearr?

Any other info is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8CEPFore0k <--- Nottingham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN-dWbR6e-0 <--- warwick
The campus is far nicer than that video makes it look. Most people stay in either Leamington Spa or Coventry in second and third year. What would you like to know specifically about term times?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Lethorio
The campus is far nicer than that video makes it look. Most people stay in either Leamington Spa or Coventry in second and third year. What would you like to know specifically about term times?

Thank you,

How long they are, if they are all the same or not. What about the sports facilities e.t.c . I noticed in the nottingham vid they had brand new looking gym/3g astroturf football pitches/ tennis courts. Is rent expensive in those areas? what would you pay for a 1 bedroom studio/week or a two/3 person flat share
Original post by Adzman
Thank you,

How long they are, if they are all the same or not. What about the sports facilities e.t.c . I noticed in the nottingham vid they had brand new looking gym/3g astroturf football pitches/ tennis courts. Is rent expensive in those areas? what would you pay for a 1 bedroom studio/week or a two/3 person flat share

They're all about 10 weeks long, although your exams tend to be around week 6 or so for first year in term 3. The other weeks are basically just chilling out and unwinding after exams.

There are plenty of sports facilities. You have the sports center itself, which has a gym. Tennis courts, football pitches, etc. I don't know specifics, as I don't play sports myself.

The rent for my house (4 bedrooms, in Coventry) is £78 a week for a double bedroom, which includes water and internet. My rent in Rootes for my first year was around £90 a week, which includes everything.
Reply 4
They're all about 10 weeks long, although your exams tend to be around week 6 or so for first year in term 3. The other weeks are basically just chilling out and unwinding after exams.

There are plenty of sports facilities. You have the sports center itself, which has a gym. Tennis courts, football pitches, etc. I don't know specifics, as I don't play sports myself.

The rent for my house (4 bedrooms, in Coventry) is £78 a week for a double bedroom, which includes water and internet. My rent in Rootes for my first year was around £90 a week, which includes everything.

Thank you soo much :smile:

How much did you spend per week on food? Did you have a job? If so what was it? How easy is it to get a job at uni? How much time do you have to work?
Reply 5

Also, how many people would you estimate are in each "year" as it were. What are the chances of getting the accommodation i want on campus the first year? How long is each term break? Do you have work to do during the break or is it like you do the work each semester and then do an exam at the end then next semester you start again with different modules?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Adzman
Also, how many people would you estimate are in each "year" as it were. What are the chances of getting the accommodation i want on campus the first year? How long is each term break? Do you have work to do during the break or is it like you do the work each semester and then do an exam at the end then next semester you start again with different modules?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/faq/ - This says there are 13k undergrads, which would mean just over 4,000 students per year.

If you apply for accommodation before the deadline, and you accept an offer from Warwick as your firm choice, you are guaranteed on campus accommodation. You are given five choices, and most people get their first or second choice. Term breaks are around 4-5 weeks, and you'll have work to do during those breaks. Exams will vary with courses, but I had frequent in-module exams in my first year as a biomedical science student. My modules changed after Christmas, and again after Easter, but I assume this will vary with your degree.
Reply 7
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/faq/ - This says there are 13k undergrads, which would mean just over 4,000 students per year.

If you apply for accommodation before the deadline, and you accept an offer from Warwick as your firm choice, you are guaranteed on campus accommodation. You are given five choices, and most people get their first or second choice. Term breaks are around 4-5 weeks, and you'll have work to do during those breaks. Exams will vary with courses, but I had frequent in-module exams in my first year as a biomedical science student. My modules changed after Christmas, and again after Easter, but I assume this will vary with your degree.

How much is the work load during breaks? I know it must vary but is it harder than during term time? Will I not be able to do anything whilst at home? The reason I ask is because I currently have a part time job in london and was hoping to work here during break to fund my living costs during term time.
Original post by Adzman
How much is the work load during breaks? I know it must vary but is it harder than during term time? Will I not be able to do anything whilst at home? The reason I ask is because I currently have a part time job in london and was hoping to work here during break to fund my living costs during term time.

I had a 1,500 word essay, a lab report, a Chemistry assignment and revision to do over the Christmas break.
I had a 3,000 word essay, two lab reports and a massive amount of revision to do over the Easter break.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending