The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RyJ
Fed was playing really well in the first set (took it 6-3), and almost broke Ferrer in the first game of the second set.

Fed just held his serve for the first time this set, so it's now 6-1.

Ferrer now serving for the set. He's just on fire atm, but could just as easily crumble, if Roger manages to break this set - even just once.

Original post by Ashnard
Federer was playing great in the first game of the second set and had four break points. He got too complacent though and blew them all. After that his game just went completely and utterly AWOL.

Basically, he tried to piss about on his break points thinking that he already had the match and now he's paying for it big time.

Thanks guys!

Congratulations to federer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rafa Nadal has announced he's not playing the US Open. :bricks:
Federer's to win now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is sad news - it's always unfortunate when the defending champion of any Grand Slam is unable to try to defend their title.

Does throw the US Open that little bit wider open though. Fed gets the no. 2 seed, so he'll avoid Djokovic. Murray also gets the no. 8 seed so he'll avoid Fed or Novak until at least the quarter finals.
Sad news with Nadal out of the US Open, now it's missing two former winners with Delpo out too. I hope the other players step up i.e Wawrinka, Djokovic and Murray who haven't been near their best of late. Great opportunity for Federer if he gets the easier half of the draw, may get the dream end to the season now despite the top loss at Wimbledon
Original post by lizzy95
Sad news with Nadal out of the US Open, now it's missing two former winners with Delpo out too. I hope the other players step up i.e Wawrinka, Djokovic and Murray who haven't been near their best of late. Great opportunity for Federer if he gets the easier half of the draw, may get the dream end to the season now despite the top loss at Wimbledon

A good opportunity for Raonic, Dimitrov and Nikishori to make deep runs. Perhaps Tomic or Hewitt can shock us.

I'd like to say the form is with Fed but he probably won't hack one of the long matches so I think Djokovic will walk it.
The real question now is how long Nadal is out for. If its like Del Po then he could need 6 months from the operation.
I have this really bad feeling that Berdych is just going to come out of the blue (after having done sweet FA this season) and take out Federer in the QFs or SFs. I really hope they don't land in the same quarter.
Reply 2009
Original post by Rakas21
A good opportunity for Raonic, Dimitrov and Nikishori to make deep runs. Perhaps Tomic or Hewitt can shock us.

I'd like to say the form is with Fed but he probably won't hack one of the long matches so I think Djokovic will walk it.

I'm not so sure, what with his most recent matches on the hard court season so far. His confidence appears to have evaporated. That said, the first couple of matches he plays could build up some of that confidence, depending on who he gets.

I think Fed's in with a real chance, but we'll soon see.
Original post by Ashnard
I have this really bad feeling that Berdych is just going to come out of the blue (after having done sweet FA this season) and take out Federer in the QFs or SFs. I really hope they don't land in the same quarter.

And that is what annoys me about Berdych. He's capable of playing very good tennis but hardly ever shows it, and when he does it's only against Murray or Federer. Then he promptly loses his next match.
He'll like the fact that Nadal's withdrawn.
Out of the potential quarter-finalists for Fed as per seedings (Raonic, Berdych, Murray, DImitrov), he would probably take Raonic. SFs would need to be Ferrer for it to be a good draw, seeing how well Wawrinka has played in his last two hardcourt Slams
Original post by Krish4791
And that is what annoys me about Berdych. He's capable of playing very good tennis but hardly ever shows it, and when he does it's only against Murray or Federer. Then he promptly loses his next match.
He'll like the fact that Nadal's withdrawn.
Out of the potential quarter-finalists for Fed as per seedings (Raonic, Berdych, Murray, DImitrov), he would probably take Raonic. SFs would need to be Ferrer for it to be a good draw, seeing how well Wawrinka has played in his last two hardcourt Slams

I know what you mean. If he actually carried the momentum through to be a contender for the title I wouldn't mind so much, but after he knocks out Federer it's almost a sense of "mission accomplished" and then he goes on to promptly bow out. It's almost as if he exists just to pull off the upset and nothing else. Such a shame because he's capable of more.

Agree that Raonic is currently the best match-up for him out of the potential QFs. He'll be wanting to avoid Wawrinka but that could be a blessing in disguise if Wawrinka losese early (not unlikely). He'll be wanting to avoid Tsonga too, although I still think that Federer can take him if he's playing anywhere near to his best.
Awful news about Nadal, but best to avoid another Del Potro situation if he feels he can't play through it. Worst comes to worst, he'll skip the indoor season and be back for AO and of course FO.

I think this slam ultimately depends on how focused and determined Djokovic is. Being a B05, it reduces the shot of any lesser players taking him out early and he's normally super consistent at slams anyway. If Nadal's withdrawal doesn't re-motivate him, then honestly nothing will. As the games progress, I assume he'll get back to his top form, and I don't see anyone outside of Godmode Wawrinka and the old Murray stopping him. Fed could push him to 5, but I can't see him hanging for all 5 sets.

This is probably Federer's best shot at #18, riding the Cinci win, Nadal out and Novak's attention elsewhere. I really hope he takes advantage of this, but I think Novak captures #8 here. He really needs to get that horrible USO finals record somewhat respectable (currently 1-4 :puke:)
(edited 9 years ago)
A Nole-Fed final then. May the best man win.
There can hardly be a better time for an outsider to win a slam, so I think we may see a new grand slam champion, which would suggest the end of an era, having two first time slam winners in a year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just looking at the rankings and i think there's a not insignificant chance that Federer could hit 9000 points and be ranked second at the end of the season. Djokovic will realistically be on 11,000 but shock early upsets could give Fed a chance.
Original post by Rakas21
Just looking at the rankings and i think there's a not insignificant chance that Federer could hit 9000 points and be ranked second at the end of the season. Djokovic will realistically be on 11,000 but shock early upsets could give Fed a chance.

If Federer wins the US Open doesn't he become world no. 2?
Original post by lizzy95
If Federer wins the US Open doesn't he become world no. 2?

Yes but Shanghai is more likely.
US Open 2014 Draw currently being released, and the "luck" seems to have gone the way of No. 2 seed Roger Federer in the later rounds (not necessarily the case however).

Federer potential QF and SF: Dimitrov and Ferrer/Berdych
Djokovic potential QF and SF: Murray and Wawrinka/Raonic

No.1 Djokovic plays Schwartzman in R1, then Muller/Mathieu (R2), potentially GGL/Querrey (R3) and then Kohlschreiber/Isner (R4)
For Federer: Matosevic (R1), ----- (R2), Karlovic/Melzer (R3), Fognini/Bautista-Agut (R4)
For Murray: Haase, Stepanek, Verdasco, Benneteau/Tsonga (drawn the short straw here) before Djokovic. :frown:

Berdych vs Hewitt in R1 defo worth watching.
Will have a look for some other interesting R1 match-ups later.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not a bad draw for Federer. The only tricky opponent is Berdych but given his form he probably won't reach the SFs.

Quick Reply

Latest