The Student Room Group

Personal statement troubles

I'm wanting to study veterinary nursing OR medicine at university. I have selected my five choices and really want to go to Nottingham Trent to study veterinary nursing. I have completed my first year at college with a distinction in Animal Management (City & Guilds). After going onto UCAS, this translates into 180 points, the course is looking for 160 as well as some specific merits in units which I have already achieved.

I have been working on my first draft since the beginning of August and have completed it. I'm going to get tutors to look at it next month when I return to college. The thing is, I'm worried I won't get in. The personal statement is the only thing I'm concerned with. Anyway I'm aiming to apply before October 15th (because I also have vet med options), how long would it take to hear back from universities?

Thank you in advance ^^
It can vary. As you have vet med options, you may get an interview in the first two weeks after sending your application. Or you may not hear till the beginning of March. It all depends. I would ensure that you focus on work experience on your statement though.

skatealexia
:wavey:

You may be able to help with this a bit more :h:
Original post by Jamie_11_x
I'm wanting to study veterinary nursing OR medicine at university. I have selected my five choices and really want to go to Nottingham Trent to study veterinary nursing. I have completed my first year at college with a distinction in Animal Management (City & Guilds). After going onto UCAS, this translates into 180 points, the course is looking for 160 as well as some specific merits in units which I have already achieved.

I have been working on my first draft since the beginning of August and have completed it. I'm going to get tutors to look at it next month when I return to college. The thing is, I'm worried I won't get in. The personal statement is the only thing I'm concerned with. Anyway I'm aiming to apply before October 15th (because I also have vet med options), how long would it take to hear back from universities?

Thank you in advance ^^

I'm slightly confused as veterinary medicine as a personal statement would be very different from a nursing one, do you want to focus on being a vet or a nurse? If you apply to any vet schools your personal statement wants to be aimed solely at the vet course, and you need to have all the entry work experience etc. For vet med it depends. For questionnaires maybe November time, for interviews anywhere from Mid November- as late as March. Depends on the vet school and the batches they work with.
Reply 3
Original post by skatealexia
I'm slightly confused as veterinary medicine as a personal statement would be very different from a nursing one, do you want to focus on being a vet or a nurse? If you apply to any vet schools your personal statement wants to be aimed solely at the vet course, and you need to have all the entry work experience etc. For vet med it depends. For questionnaires maybe November time, for interviews anywhere from Mid November- as late as March. Depends on the vet school and the batches they work with.

I've already gained 1 week at a veterinary practice but i'll be doing 400 ish hour placement which i'll be attending once a week for 10 months. I've also been working as a pet shop assistant for about a year.

I'm mainly focusing on veterinary nursing, to be honest, at Nottingham Trent University.
Original post by Jamie_11_x
I've already gained 1 week at a veterinary practice but i'll be doing 400 ish hour placement which i'll be attending once a week for 10 months. I've also been working as a pet shop assistant for about a year.

I'm mainly focusing on veterinary nursing, to be honest, at Nottingham Trent University.

I wouldn't apply for a main veterinary course as with your very limited work experience you won't get in. I have limited knowledge about vet nursing I'm afraid, you would be better posting in the veterinary medicine subforum.

Quick Reply

Latest