The Student Room Group

Are protein shakes even necessary?

Since I started using weights around a year ago I've religiously had a protein shake after every work out. I'm not even sure why, it's just what I thought you did. Recently I've started a proper routine (SL 5x5) and am researching more into diet and nutrition. I've read that protein shakes often aren't even used by your body, that they're just turned into sugar and fat.

I usually eat quite a bit of protein on a daily basis anyway, typically I'll have 3/4 eggs, lots of milk and a chicken breast every day. So should I really still be drinking protein shakes if they're just going to be 'excess'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not necessary no

Easy way to bump up your protein intake
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I've read that protein shakes often aren't even used by your body, that they're just turned into sugar and fat.

Not true.

Protein shakes are a supplement. You do not need a supplement if you get enough from your diet. This applies to anything. Iron, calcium, vitamin D, protein etc
Supplements are just that. Good if you need to hit your protein intake for the day, pointless if you've already gotten there with food.
If you're trying to pack on muscle and you need more protein then they are pretty convenient. The caveat though is that they contain a **** load of calories..
It is just a supplement, if you get enough protein in your diet you don't need it, if you don't it is useful. They are also more convienent for people and sometimes a bit cheaper. Also 0.8-1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is a good amount to aim for.
no, they're just another form of protein, it's basically the same **** as eating a piece of grilled chicken breast, what matters is overall protein/carb/fat/calorie intake, not one particular bit of food, protein shakes are just an easy way to get your protein in that's why it's called a 'supplement'
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
If you're trying to pack on muscle and you need more protein then they are pretty convenient. The caveat though is that they contain a **** load of calories..

wut? protein = 4 cal/gram, whey isolate is 85%+ protein, how is that a **** load of calories

????
For me yah. Oats and whey crew = 1.1k kcal in two shakes. Means I can still eat poverty mode and hit my 3k a day target.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since I started using weights around a year ago I've religiously had a protein shake after every work out. I'm not even sure why, it's just what I thought you did. Recently I've started a proper routine (SL 5x5) and am researching more into diet and nutrition. I've read that protein shakes often aren't even used by your body, that they're just turned into sugar and fat.

I usually eat quite a bit of protein on a daily basis anyway, typically I'll have 3/4 eggs, lots of milk and a chicken breast every day. So should I really still be drinking protein shakes if they're just going to be 'excess'?

No, its a supplement. It is there to supplement your diet.
You should use it to hit a caloric/protein target for the day, if you can't consume enough food.

I only hear people who don't have a daily caloric/ macro-nutrient goal asking such questions. Are you one of them?
Original post by RollerBall
For me yah. Oats and whey crew = 1.1k kcal in two shakes. Means I can still eat poverty mode and hit my 3k a day target.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally would only consume one shake a day, its more cost effective.
If you were to include 100g peanut butter you would have added 600kcal right there.

For me: [one serving] 113.3g peanut butter = 20p [340g]
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
No, its a supplement. It is there to supplement your diet.
You should use it to hit a caloric/protein target for the day, if you can't consume enough food.

I only hear people who don't have a daily caloric/ macro-nutrient goal asking such questions. Are you one of them?

Yes I suppose I am one of them?
Original post by Greg Jackson
wut? protein = 4 cal/gram, whey isolate is 85%+ protein, how is that a **** load of calories

Original post by Angry cucumber
????

Lots of people trying to pack on muscle will use 2 or 3 servings at a time and may even have two shakes a day. Also, since milk has good protein they will use that instead of water. The calories soon add up then!
Depends on diet. Eating a tin of tuna is good enough so that you don't need to drink them.
Yes I suppose I am one of them?

Read this sticky on another forum, its super helpful.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Use Katch-McArdle formula to calculate your caloric maintenance.
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
I personally would only consume one shake a day, its more cost effective.
If you were to include 100g peanut butter you would have added 600kcal right there.

For me: [one serving] 113.3g peanut butter = 20p [340g]

I don't want to eat 100g of smart price peanut butter a day though.

It's not a fair comparison either as the macros are completely different. My shakes cost me ~£1 a day for both which is basically all protein and carbs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
IMO way more useful for hitting calorie goals (especially if you don't have a big appetite) than hitting protein goals. So whey protein is a little pointless, weight gainer is good ****
Original post by bertstare
IMO way more useful for hitting calorie goals (especially if you don't have a big appetite) than hitting protein goals. So whey protein is a little pointless, weight gainer is good ****

you aware manlet?

brb whey protein + home ingredients = cheap/tasty weight gainer.
Lots of people trying to pack on muscle will use 2 or 3 servings at a time and may even have two shakes a day. Also, since milk has good protein they will use that instead of water. The calories soon add up then!

2 servings at a time and 2 shakes a day crew

come at me bro

Quick Reply

Latest