The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinjaPandaa
I always forget schools normally only have 1 common room, we have 2, 1 for each year :biggrin: although this year we have to move the smaller one upstairs but it does have a bigger study room and a language study room so it's not all bad haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I go to sixth form college not a school and we don't actually have a common room or a study room but the library is like a massive study room (silent study) and computer areas where you can study and talk and then theres a canteen and like little like food outlets which are all used they way a common room would :smile:
Original post by Iggy Azalea
On a side note, is anyone annoyed that when we go back there's going to be new Year 12s?

While the Year 13s were on exam leave I got so used to having the common room to myself (literally, myself on some occasions!). Now it's going to be packed and the regular queue for food will make an appearance again. :frown:

Oh, definitely. To be honest I did worry about this last year (When I retook Year 12) but this year at my school ended up being lovely people and I got on with them better than people my own age. Unfortunately I'm now hearing that the year coming in September is absolutely dreadful, and from what I've seen of them I'd have to agree. As long as I can keep my group's spot in the common room I'm fine though. :colone:
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Urgh that sounds annoying. I had to take my exams at a partner school too, it was depressing as I had to catch the bus to school, then run all the way up to the other school. It was raining as well. I was shattered before the exam even started. :rolleyes:

The one thing that annoys me about WJEC is the fact that all the examiners are Welsh (or even Scottish/Irish). I know native English examiners aren't brilliant, but I noticed the Welsh examiners have a strong accent that gets in the way of their French quite a bit. I wish they'd hire native speakers.

We had a Catalan woman for Spanish and our regular (British) teacher for French.

I always forget schools normally only have 1 common room, we have 2, 1 for each year :biggrin: although this year we have to move the smaller one upstairs but it does have a bigger study room and a language study room so it's not all bad haha

We have 2, but wait for this, 1 for English-medium and one for Welsh-medium. :eek: The awful thing is most people can't imagine having it any other way!
Original post by O133
We had a Catalan woman for Spanish and our regular (British) teacher for French.

We have 2, but wait for this, 1 for English-medium and one for Welsh-medium. :eek: The awful thing is most people can't imagine having it any other way!

Omg so it's like segregation away from the English speakers, that sounds so awkward surely that just discourages any sort of mixing?! :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meli.Hardege
I go to sixth form college not a school and we don't actually have a common room or a study room but the library is like a massive study room (silent study) and computer areas where you can study and talk and then theres a canteen and like little like food outlets which are all used they way a common room would :smile:

I guess with a sixth form college you're all just sixth formers so a common room isn't really that necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by O133

That's awful :lol:

Mine is Year 12 and Year 13 and one mixed.
Original post by O133

Oh my word. That's hilariously terrible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg so it's like segregation away from the English speakers, that sounds so awkward surely that just discourages any sort of mixing?! :O

That is exactly the intention. And most people are quite happy not to mix. At some point towards the end of last term there was some kind of war between the two over chairs as well. I'm hoping as a member of the head pupils team to be able to start to build some bridges.

Original post by L'Evil Fish
That's awful :lol:

Mine is Year 12 and Year 13 and one mixed.

Not unsurprising for Wales though.
Original post by O133
That is exactly the intention. And most people are quite happy not to mix. At some point towards the end of last term there was some kind of war between the two over chairs as well. I'm hoping as a member of the head pupils team to be able to start to build some bridges.

Not unsurprising for Wales though.

Hmmmm... I think that should be illegal, does one side have better facilities?:lol:
Hmmmm... I think that should be illegal, does one side have better facilities?:lol:

Yes, although unsurprisingly it's the English side.

It is really self-segregation though, there's nothing to stop pupils mixing bar peer pressure.
Original post by blamethenargles
My only friend in Spanish is resitting AS
I don't know if my two friends will be in my English Class
and I don't know if any of my fellow musician friends are still taking music
It could potentially be a lonely year in class D:

Oh :frown: Before the end of term I got told my current timetable isn't possible for next year so I have to swap groups for ALL of my subjects!! :frown: Like I'm not too bothered about it although I'd rather stay with the groups I'm in but like for the first lesson everyone already has their 'seat' if you know that I mean, so how do I know where's free! haha

Original post by chem@uni
So what county is everyone from??

Kent now :smile: Used to live in Durham before secondary school :smile:
Original post by loosiemorgan
Oh :frown: Before the end of term I got told my current timetable isn't possible for next year so I have to swap groups for ALL of my subjects!! :frown: Like I'm not too bothered about it although I'd rather stay with the groups I'm in but like for the first lesson everyone already has their 'seat' if you know that I mean, so how do I know where's free! haha

That sounds rough! Luckily for me I enrolled yesterday and my friend has decided to continue with Spanish after all, and she's also in my English class! *final fantasy voice* CONFLICT RESOLVED!

Just roll with it, I started college last year without knowing anyone so I just aimed for back corners and end seats and hoped for the best!
Original post by O133
Yes, although unsurprisingly it's the English side.

It is really self-segregation though, there's nothing to stop pupils mixing bar peer pressure.

Argh

But someone must have started it?
Argh

But someone must have started it?

That was the intention when they built the new Welsh-medium block 20 years ago, it's just not enforced and there are a select few who do go to the other common room (generally if most of their friends are there).

I'm sure people would be welcoming if more people tried to mix though!
That sounds rough! Luckily for me I enrolled yesterday and my friend has decided to continue with Spanish after all, and she's also in my English class! *final fantasy voice* CONFLICT RESOLVED!

Just roll with it, I started college last year without knowing anyone so I just aimed for back corners and end seats and hoped for the best!

haha that was my plan :smile: Gosh just read my post back I know I use the word like a lot but...!!
haha that was my plan :smile: Gosh just read my post back I know I use the word like a lot but...!!

I totally understand!! I throw that word in everywhere when I'm speaking in person, I'm not sure if it's a welsh thing though, like. ;-)
I totally understand!! I throw that word in everywhere when I'm speaking in person, I'm not sure if it's a welsh thing though, like. ;-)

haha yeah and it's probably a northerner thing - that's always my excuse :P the small strand of nothern I still have in me, that and saying man a lot :biggrin:

Lol, I think it is a Welsh thing, like I find myself saying it a lot lololol
haha yeah and it's probably a northerner thing - that's always my excuse :P the small strand of nothern I still have in me, that and saying man a lot :biggrin:

I SAY MAN AS WELL, and what's worse is that I think I'm saying it ironically. More words like that include dude and mate.
Ugh, it's terrible! ><

Lol, I think it is a Welsh thing, like I find myself saying it a lot lololol

My family actually say lol out loud and it's the most cringeworthy thing ever... like.
I SAY MAN AS WELL, and what's worse is that I think I'm saying it ironically. More words like that include dude and mate.
Ugh, it's terrible! ><

My family actually say lol out loud and it's the most cringeworthy thing ever... like.

I say lol out loud :colonhash: like, I find its like pretty hip like

Latest