The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Official Durham Fresher's Thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LucyW456
I haven't either which is slightly stressing me out but they did say it would take a couple weeks to do everyone so we must try be patient i think :L

I haven't received mine either, still waiting haha
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
yeh, it wasn't really a deliberate decision coming so far- I just picked my favourite uni and went for it regardless of distance away :smile: Going to drive up with my parents when we first go but will probably get the train back at the end of each term, flying is an option too from Newcastle but it's probably too much hassle compared to the train :smile: Oh yeh Manchester is muuuuch closer :P Are you doing 3 year course or 4?

I was the same, I had it in my head that Durham was north of Newcastle for ages. I think I'm probably going to do the same, I got a railcard from Santander so I may as well make the most of it. Yeah, flying probably is a bit of hassle, is it just one train or a few changes for you? I'm going to do a 4 year course, you? :smile:
Original post by Rock_Set
I was the same, I had it in my head that Durham was north of Newcastle for ages. I think I'm probably going to do the same, I got a railcard from Santander so I may as well make the most of it. Yeah, flying probably is a bit of hassle, is it just one train or a few changes for you? I'm going to do a 4 year course, you? :smile:

Yeh well they both are very far north for me haha :L Yeh railcards are really helpful!
It's just one train which is definitely a plus, just have to survive a nearly 5 hour journey :s-smilie:
Cool me too, is yours straight physics? I'm doing Physics and Astronomy :smile:
Yeh well they both are very far north for me haha :L Yeh railcards are really helpful!
It's just one train which is definitely a plus, just have to survive a nearly 5 hour journey :s-smilie:
Cool me too, is yours straight physics? I'm doing Physics and Astronomy :smile:

I thought I was travelling pretty far before talking to you :L You could read or something, I think I've only got about a 2 and half hour journey. I'm doing Theoretical Physics, I'm not keen on practicals but I have a programming background. Why did you choose Physics and Astronomy? :smile:
Physics at Butler :banana:

Does any fellow Butlerite's know when we get room allocations and stuff?
I thought I was travelling pretty far before talking to you :L You could read or something, I think I've only got about a 2 and half hour journey. I'm doing Theoretical Physics, I'm not keen on practicals but I have a programming background. Why did you choose Physics and Astronomy? :smile:

haha :P i would do but i feel sick reading whilst travelling which is VERY annoying, i will probably just listen to music the whole way :smile: Oh cool yeh I'm not particularly keen on practicals either, they stress me out :L i picked astronomy because it's the branch of physics that i find most fascinating, plus there's sooooo much we don't know in that area which is pretty exciting (jeez i feel so nerdy saying that haha oh well) :smile:
haha :P i would do but i feel sick reading whilst travelling which is VERY annoying, i will probably just listen to music the whole way :smile: Oh cool yeh I'm not particularly keen on practicals either, they stress me out :L i picked astronomy because it's the branch of physics that i find most fascinating, plus there's sooooo much we don't know in that area which is pretty exciting (jeez i feel so nerdy saying that haha oh well) :smile:

Really? What about watching something on your phone/tablet? I am dreadfully bad at practicals, I hated the ISA's at A-Level, I'm hoping they'll be better at Uni, but I'm scared I'll still be awful :L Haha, yeah, most people find astro to be the most interesting. I found it so hard to choose between theoretical and astro :smile:

Practicals are pretty fun. Its nothing like A-level.
Original post by TunaTunnel
Practicals are pretty fun. Its nothing like A-level.

That's a relief, I hated almost all of the A-Level practicals. A couple of the capacitor ones were pretty good though :smile:
That's a relief, I hated almost all of the A-Level practicals. A couple of the capacitor ones were pretty good though :smile:

You get a lot more freedom. At the end of first year you also have a bridge project which is basically a group project to try and solve a problem with lots of freedom and little interaction from a professor, its great. Progressively through the years you get less help and become more independent.
You get a lot more freedom. At the end of first year you also have a bridge project which is basically a group project to try and solve a problem with lots of freedom and little interaction from a professor, its great. Progressively through the years you get less help and become more independent.

That sounds much better. Would the problem be given and then we'd be given freedom or would we have to come up with a problem?
Original post by ChloeBazingaa
YAY did you buy your durham freshers t shirt ?? :biggrin:

No, where do they sell them?
Original post by FisherGoggles
Physics at Butler :banana:

Does any fellow Butlerite's know when we get room allocations and stuff?

Did you get that pack in the post the other day with the to-do list!? We don't find out who we're sharing with until we get there but we need to fill out a questionnaire they link us too in that pack to match us with people similar to us :smile:
Original post by sillygoosemuffin
I'm coming to Durham from Northern Ireland... Is anyone else travelling a long way?

I'm coming from the Isle of Man :smile: not as far but...closer to Ireland than England.
Reply 114
Studying Geology at Castle (university college) :smile:
Is anyone one else doing Geology/Earth science?
That sounds much better. Would the problem be given and then we'd be given freedom or would we have to come up with a problem?

You get hints. We solved ours with an entirely new solution (somewhat by chance) and as a result got really high marks ~85%.
Original post by Reiss64
So excited! Just got the freshers handbook! :biggrin: :biggrin:

For whatever reason the download keeps failing for my phone...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sillygoosemuffin
I'm doing Physics at University College (it feels so good to be able to say that!!! :redface: ) anyone else in the same boat?

I'm doing Physics just down the road at St John's!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
You get hints. We solved ours with an entirely new solution (somewhat by chance) and as a result got really high marks ~85%.

That sounds awesome, I'm quite excited for the practicals now :biggrin:
Reply 119
Original post by ExcitinglyMundane
For whatever reason the download keeps failing for my phone...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's annoying! It's probably just to big (it's like 70 pages long :O) Try on your computer maybe?? Oh and the PDF file is on the JCR website if my link isn't working :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply