The Student Room Group

Opinions on A-Level English Lit?

Looking at taking English Lit at A-Level and I would like to hear how people find it and if they did well etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!

I am an A level English Lit student - I received my results on Thursday - I achieved a C in my exam and a B in my coursework (1 mark off of an A); English is not an easy subject; it requires a lot of hard work and you HAVE to be committed... once you get behind, you really struggle. In addition, you MUST make sure that you read the books - it is so crucial; at GCSE, you can get away with not reading them - but at A level you can't!

In my English Language GCSE I got an A and the same in my English Lit ... with A*s in some parts; showing that it was my strongest subject at GCSE - for me, it felt like a huge step up; between GCSE and A level! But, don't get me wrong, it is an absolutely amazing subject to have when applying to Unis/jobs - this is because it teaches you a wide range of skills and can be used for pretty much any job. At the end of the day, you need to be able to read and write in a sophisticated manner in order to get a decent job right? :smile:

Honestly, I know I have pointed out the bad points; but, it is just to prepare you - English is one of my favourite subjects and I absolutely love it - so I hope that you do too! :smile:

In conclusion, I would strongly recommend English Lit A Level - as long as you are willing to work and make sure that you do not get behind... if you have any other questions - do let me know or check out my Education blog: nataliet97.blogspot.co.uk/

Good luck with your results and your future study!
Reply 2
Original post by nataliet97
Hi!

I am an A level English Lit student - I received my results on Thursday - I achieved a C in my exam and a B in my coursework (1 mark off of an A); English is not an easy subject; it requires a lot of hard work and you HAVE to be committed... once you get behind, you really struggle. In addition, you MUST make sure that you read the books - it is so crucial; at GCSE, you can get away with not reading them - but at A level you can't!

In my English Language GCSE I got an A and the same in my English Lit ... with A*s in some parts; showing that it was my strongest subject at GCSE - for me, it felt like a huge step up; between GCSE and A level! But, don't get me wrong, it is an absolutely amazing subject to have when applying to Unis/jobs - this is because it teaches you a wide range of skills and can be used for pretty much any job. At the end of the day, you need to be able to read and write in a sophisticated manner in order to get a decent job right? :smile:

Honestly, I know I have pointed out the bad points; but, it is just to prepare you - English is one of my favourite subjects and I absolutely love it - so I hope that you do too! :smile:

In conclusion, I would strongly recommend English Lit A Level - as long as you are willing to work and make sure that you do not get behind... if you have any other questions - do let me know or check out my Education blog: nataliet97.blogspot.co.uk/

Good luck with your results and your future study!

Well done! Thank you for your input.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meg321
Well done! Thank you for your input.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest