The Student Room Group

miser lifts a weight off his shoulders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miser
I like gym lingo.

I take credit for inventing the first 3 terms there.
Reply 121
Original post by Motorbiker
I take credit for inventing the first 3 terms there.

Then I look forward to you inventing more. :h:
Reply 122
Absolutely killed it today. My unstoppable progress, that is. I think my body just figured we were taking things too quick. Time to slow down. Hang back a little - stop to smell the roses. There's no rush. With such an abundancy of gains out there, we have all the time in the world.

Workout B
Squats 5x5 55kg Increase of 2.5kg
Deadlift 1x5 60kg No increase
Standing press 5x5 25kg No increase
Bent over row 5x5 37.5kg Increase of 5kg
Close grip bench press 3x8 32.5kg No increase
Straight bar 3x11 20kg Failed on 7th rep of final set
Cable crunches 3x10 60kg Increase of 5.5kg

Squats were intense. It was the final set and one rep left to go. Bases were loaded. Was I going to make it? I scrunched up my face really hard and eyed my puny reflection taunting me. It was like a hologram sent back in time to goad me, to push me to become my future self. "Thanks," I grimaced in wordless acknowledgement, and with the power of a herd of wildebeest I overcame gravity's oppression once more, to the sound of all the roaring crowds I could imagine.

Deadlift I decided not to increase and I was glad I didn't since it was still difficult and tough on my back muscles. I also wanted to pay attention to my form, which is improving. Maybe I could have managed a higher weight but I don't want to do something gung-ho before acclimatising properly to the lift.

Standing press was the same. I couldn't have managed another rep despite not increasing the weight from last week. You just wait, standing press, I'll get you. :auto:

Bent over row, however, I succeeded in carrying across last workout's 5kg increase. Take that!

Close grip bench press was exactly the same as last time: failed on the second-to-last rep. I pushed with all my might! But I just couldn't cut it. But it has sown within me the burning CGBP flame. Next time I'm pulling out all the stops!

Straight bar I decided to up to 3x11 and see how far I could take it. I failed on the 8th rep of the final set, which is a net decrease of 1 rep from what I managed on Sunday. When I failed it was like the whole gym went silent in mourning. For a moment it was just me and the echoing quiet of my disappointment. But somewhere deep inside there was a voice. It said challenge exists to be conquered, and if Subo can conquer the X-Factor, I will conquer bicep curls - so help me God!

Cable crunches I upped to 60kg. I had to use handles because someone had offed with the rope. But it didn't matter. For 30 reps I pulled with the force of a Saharan caravan. That was some solid crunching. Good work, abs.

Next workout on Friday.
Original post by miser

Next workout on Friday.

Looks like we're doing the same workouts on the same day, now. I did B yesterday and doing A on Friday too :smile:

How's the weight going? I'm no expert but I suspect you will definitely have to keep eating and eating given your starting weight and your height if you want to keep increasing the weight. 67kg is really light for 6'1. I have the opposite 'problem'!
Reply 124
Original post by Forum User
Looks like we're doing the same workouts on the same day, now. I did B yesterday and doing A on Friday too :smile:

Ah, that's only for this week since I cocked things up by forgetting my gym kit on Tuesday. After Friday I'll be training on Sunday, then back to my normal Tuesday/Thursday setup. Training on a Friday is inconvenient for me because I also have martial arts directly after.

How's the weight going? I'm no expert but I suspect you will definitely have to keep eating and eating given your starting weight and your height if you want to keep increasing the weight. 67kg is really light for 6'1. I have the opposite 'problem'!

Yeah, nutrition is my biggest sticking point. I'm not sure that I've even put on any weight at all despite all the effort and money I've put into it. I'm starting to think that 3,000 calories isn't enough. Which is a problem since I don't know how in the world I'd manage to up my daily intake by another 500.

But it's just a matter of time before I figure it all out.
Original post by miser

Yeah, nutrition is my biggest sticking point. I'm not sure that I've even put on any weight at all despite all the effort and money I've put into it. I'm starting to think that 3,000 calories isn't enough. Which is a problem since I don't know how in the world I'd manage to up my daily intake by another 500.

But it's just a matter of time before I figure it all out.

It's easy to up your calories! the hard part is not eating too much. I could eat 5k a day if i wanted. Nuts, PB, Milk, protein shakes, mass gainer. all easy.

I started at 60kg. Am now 85kg. Spent a lot of time on 4k cal a day. Was probably too much. Try going up to 3.5k. :yep:
Reply 126
It's easy to up your calories! the hard part is not eating too much. I could eat 5k a day if i wanted. Nuts, PB, Milk, protein shakes, mass gainer. all easy.

I started at 60kg. Am now 85kg. Spent a lot of time on 4k cal a day. Was probably too much. Try going up to 3.5k. :yep:

Yeah those sound like some good options. Thanks, I'll up to 3,500 then and give that a go. I'll get out my blender and start making some shakes with whole milk, peanut butter, protein powder, etc.
Original post by miser
Yeah those sound like some good options. Thanks, I'll up to 3,500 then and give that a go. I'll get out my blender and start making some shakes with whole milk, peanut butter, protein powder, etc.

It's very easy to add in extra calories when you know the tasty calorie dense foods you need to hit.
Reply 128
It's very easy to add in extra calories when you know the tasty calorie dense foods you need to hit.

Great! I'm on it.
I just don't get the guys who complain about it being "impossible" to eat more calories.

I would love to eat 3.5-4k calories day in, day out, but unfortunately it just makes me fat :frown:.
Original post by In One Ear
I just don't get the guys who complain about it being "impossible" to eat more calories.

I would love to eat 3.5-4k calories day in, day out, but unfortunately it just makes me fat :frown:.

Reply 131

I know it's not impossible, but I do find it very difficult. So far I've found it time consuming, expensive, and something that has to be constantly thought about and considered if I don't want to fall behind. I know there are ways to do it better, but I've not found any of it particularly easy so far.
Original post by miser
I know it's not impossible, but I do find it very difficult. So far I've found it time consuming, expensive, and something that has to be constantly thought about and considered if I don't want to fall behind. I know there are ways to do it better, but I've not found any of it particularly easy so far.

Only if you spend your days trying to eat only "clean" foods like brocolli, chicken and rice- in which case yes I agree it'd be a murderous pain in the arse, but I find it so easy to get 3.5k-4k calories when I eat large servings of calorie dense desserts, snack on crisps/biscuits and drink high calorie milkshakes which I can gladly do on top of 2 regular good size meals of veggies and protein etc...

I control my calories to a little over 2000 due to my low activity levels. I know all these feels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
Only if you spend your days trying to eat only "clean" foods like brocolli, chicken and rice- in which case yes I agree it'd be a murderous pain in the arse, but I find it so easy to get 3.5k-4k calories when I eat large servings of calorie dense desserts, snack on crisps/biscuits and drink high calorie milkshakes which I can gladly do on top of 2 regular good size meals of veggies and protein etc...

Haha, well yeah it would be easy if I could eat ice cream and chocolate.
Original post by miser
Haha, well yeah it would be easy if I could eat ice cream and chocolate.

Yesterday I had:

1 tin of tuna with 2 slices of bread
1 protein shake
2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 rashers bacon
1 prawn mayonnaise sandwich
2 chicken breasts and some green beans/broccoli
1 pack maltesers
1/2 a chicken with mushy peas and salad from Nandos

I have the opposite problem to you, I used to weigh about 105kg and I need to go to the gym every day to counteract my voracious appetite :smile:
Reply 136
Yesterday I had:

1 tin of tuna with 2 slices of bread
1 protein shake
2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 rashers bacon
1 prawn mayonnaise sandwich
2 chicken breasts and some green beans/broccoli
1 pack maltesers
1/2 a chicken with mushy peas and salad from Nandos

I have the opposite problem to you, I used to weigh about 105kg and I need to go to the gym every day to counteract my voracious appetite :smile:

Cool. I'm vegetarian which has sometimes made things a bit tougher, but I've been discovering tasty foods that are easy to prep but have high calorie content, like PB&J sandwiches. :biggrin:

Yesterday I had:
Large bowl of Just Right cereal with unsweetened almond milk
Fruit salad
Bowl of porridge
Banana
Onion bhaji wrap
Smokey mixed bean salad
Honey & mustard pasta
Potato salad
Crisps
Gin and tonic :yy:

Though I ended up being almost 800 calories short so...
Original post by Angry cucumber
I control my calories to a little over 2000 due to my low activity levels. I know all these feels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Feels, feels all around! :frown:

:tongue:
I understand with people like miser though, eating way more than you're used to is damn hard. Nothing's worse than having a massive plate of pasta infront of you and feeling you're trapped because of no appetite. Slowly increasing intake over time works better than a sudden change i feel.

So many feels

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read the title as miscer and expected something amusing.

Alas.

Quick Reply

Latest