The Student Room Group

Which investment bank/role pays the most?

Hello,

I am interested in investment banking and i was wondering which investment bank pays the most in terms of salary and bonuses, i assume it would be one of the top four which are Deloitte, Pwc, Ernst and Young and KPMG. I have also heard that the Goldman Sachs are very generous.

I know that it depends on the specific role, so i was wondering which front office role would be the one to apply to for the most money + bonuses after a few years and a high starting salary.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Blaze3211
Hello,

I am interested in investment banking and i was wondering which investment bank pays the most in terms of salary and bonuses, i assume it would be one of the top four which are Deloitte, Pwc, Ernst and Young and KPMG. I have also heard that the Goldman Sachs are very generous.

I know that it depends on the specific role, so i was wondering which front office role would be the one to apply to for the most money + bonuses after a few years and a high starting salary.

Thanks.

Not sure if serious?

Those aren't banks....
You should try BDO I heard they pay the investment bankers a lot :smile:
Research skills are in over-drive on this one.

OP; apart from Goldman Sachs, they're not investment banks. They're Big 4 Accounting.

But anyway the highest paying role starting is 45k+ bonus which can take it up to 55-70k first year. Not going to tell you which role that is because you can research that yourself. Would also be suspicious of your motivation if you just ask about pay etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by will2348
But anyway the highest paying role starting is 45k+ bonus which can take it up to 55-70k first year. Not going to tell you which role that is because you can research that yourself. Would also be suspicious of your motivation if you just ask about pay etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're trying to tell me that everyone who wants to apply to an IB in this section doesn't do it for the money (and not much else), then you're pretty funny. Those who deny it are just so cynical that they'll do anything for access to such a job.
Original post by ahpadt
If you're trying to tell me that everyone who wants to apply to an IB in this section doesn't do it for the money (and not much else), then you're pretty funny. Those who deny it are just so cynical that they'll do anything for access to such a job.

Good luck with your interview :rolleyes:

If you don't at least have some interest in the industry you will not last very long, that's all I'm saying. For example, he should at least know what an investment bank is which he clearly demonstrated he had no knowledge of in his post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Research skills are in over-drive on this one.

OP; apart from Goldman Sachs, they're not investment banks. They're Big 4 Accounting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never understand people who say stuff like this. Why is it up to you to question his motivation?? Let HR do it. How would you like it if I question your ability to apply because of, I don't know, your UCAS points, the number of S/Ws you did or your university?
Why do you actually care if he's only motivated by money?

OP, he's talking about IBD check out the unofficial guide to banking or some stickies on this forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Aenigma
I never understand people who say stuff like this. Why is it up to you to question his motivation?? Let HR do it. How would you like it if I question your ability to apply because of, I don't know, your UCAS points, the number of S/Ws you did or your university?

OP, he's talking about IBD check out the unofficial guide to banking or some stickies on this forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will is absolutely right on this. The fact that he didn't put this minimal effort into hitting up google before coming here and that he says things like "I am interested in investment banking" and then lists Deloitte as an investment bank tells it all. Top it all off his only question was that which role should he apply to in order to bring the most money + bonuses.
Surely can't be serious? Actually... Definitely can't be serious.
Reply 9
Actually he is look at his existing posts.
Original post by Aenigma

Posted from TSR Mobile

I almost never question people's motivation on this site (compared to other people who absolutely joke about it) but it was the lack of even knowing what a bank was that made do it. In all honestly, all I am trying to do is help.

If he can't give a good answer on a forum and he finally lands that killer interview, you don't want to lose out like that.

Also, my own motivation is practically relentlessly questioned, it should be an easy answer.

I care that he is motivated by money because 1) money is decreasing and 2) the hours and stress are not worth the money alone.

It's not meant to be some kind of horrible aggressive statement to launch out at him, I'm just trying to help him for future.

I get where you're coming from but this is my two cents and I stick by it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Szmessh
Will is absolutely right on this. The fact that he didn't put this minimal effort into hitting up google before coming here and that he says things like "I am interested in investment banking" and then lists Deloitte as an investment bank tells it all. Top it all off his only question was that which role should he apply to in order to bring the most money + bonuses.

Right about what? What is will suggesting? That he can't apply it that he won't get offers because neither of those things are for Will to decide...
Let the guy apply, I don't see the issue.

Again, how would you like it if I said you couldn't apply due to something that wasn't up for me to judge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
Right about what? What is will suggesting? That he can't apply it that he won't get offers because neither of those things are for Will to decide...

Again, how would you like it if I said you couldn't apply due to something that wasn't up for me to judge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not judging him. I haven't said he can't apply/won't succeed. In fact, I've not even implied that.

My post is explicit in that his motivation should be solid for the industry and that 'money' is not a good answer to the question. I don't have an issue if that's his real reason but the point is, if you want to be successful you should do something you at least half like.

Maybe this wasn't clear but hopefully this clarifies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
For example, you should at least know what an investment bank is which you've clearly demonstrated you have no knowledge of here.

Fortunately I am under no obligation to share all my knowledge with you. I try to share things that I actually have solid knowledge of (like doing an engineering degree) and question things I don't know as much about. For information about IB I try to seek or question those who actually work in the industry, rather than 1st or 2nd year know-it-all students (like yourself) on this board who seems to pretend they know everything about the route to IB.
Original post by ahpadt
Fortunately I am under no obligation to share all my knowledge with you. I try to share things that I actually have solid knowledge of (like doing an engineering degree) and question things I don't know as much about. For information about IB I try to seek or question those who actually work in the industry, rather than 1st or 2nd year know-it-all students (like yourself) on this board who seems to pretend they know everything about the route to IB.

I was only trying to help. But if you don't want it, that's cool - don't take it on board, no one makes you. You asked for an opinion and you got just that.

I actually did answer your question (unlike anyone else here) so I don't see what your issue is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Aenigma

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are we really arguing about this? Come on this guy just came up to this board and explicitly asked which role should he apply to make the most money. So many things wrong with this, no wonder hes getting **** for it.

Again he didn't ask that usually which roles in finance get the highest compensation, he asked which one will bring the most money + bonus in so he knows which one to apply for. OP, save yourself some time and find what genuinely interests you, based on your post investment banking is clearly not one of them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
I was only trying to help. But if you don't want it, that's cool - don't take it on board, no one makes you. You asked for an opinion and you got just that.

I actually did answer your question (unlike anyone else here) so I don't see what your issue is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope you realise you aren't quoting the OP, here...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Szmessh
Are we really arguing about this? Come on this guy just came up to this board and explicitly asked which role should he apply to make the most money. So many things wrong with this, no wonder hes getting **** for it.

Again he didn't ask that usually which roles in finance get the highest compensation, he asked which one will bring the most money + bonus in so he knows which one to apply for. OP, save yourself some time and find what genuinely interests you, based on your post investment banking is clearly not one of them.

No, we aren't arguing about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
I hope you realise you aren't quoting the OP, here...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apologies, will edit - regardless, the point that was made is still valid in context.
Back when I was in the business, there were persistent rumours that GS inflation trading was making anywhere from 600 bucks to a yard per year. With a team of about 6-7.

But I see that the level of discussion on this thread is a bit more basic than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending