The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr Gin
Had an interview this year and the equivalent score based on 2015 criteria would have been 62; presumably things will, as usual, get tougher this year (it seems to get harder each year) so I would guess 64 to be confident..?

I'm not a medic, but I'll ask someone I heard talking about this earlier today. :p:

Becca-Sarah
Congrats! :awesome:

Apparently Leicester start clinical stuff pretty early on, so a steth would be useful, though not essential immediately. Frankly, if your dad wants to buy you one, let him - they're not cheap! All you need is a Littmann Classic SE II, do not get coerced into buying a fancy cardiology thing and definitely do not get "doctor [name]" engraved on it...
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Congrats! :awesome:

Apparently Leicester start clinical stuff pretty early on, so a steth would be useful, though not essential immediately. Frankly, if your dad wants to buy you one, let him - they're not cheap! All you need is a Littmann Classic SE II, do not get coerced into buying a fancy cardiology thing and definitely do not get "doctor [name]" engraved on it...

Nice, thanks! Haha, won't be a doctor for at least another 5 years so definitely won't do that! Will get my name on it though so no one pinches it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lamyers1
Nice, thanks! Haha, won't be a doctor for at least another 5 years so definitely won't do that! Will get my name on it though so no one pinches it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wise idea... Now, the big difficult question: what colour? :biggrin:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Wise idea... Now, the big difficult question: what colour? :biggrin:

Probably the lovely dark purple colour!
Hey, I have 8A*'s at GCSE, UKCAT 3040 and AAABB at AS level. Will this be a competitive score with the new scoring system? It's annoying they've changed the system, I would of got 30 last year :-(
Original post by _thequeen
Hey, I have 8A*'s at GCSE, UKCAT 3040 and AAABB at AS level. Will this be a competitive score with the new scoring system? It's annoying they've changed the system, I would of got 30 last year :-(

Presuming your 8 A*s are in the subjects they score then you would be on 63/68 which is likely to be close to the threshold for application depending on the calibre of applications they get. Based on this year my guess is that you probably would get an interview but there is no guarantee and it may depend on the content of your PS… If they attract larger numbers of students with achieved grades the threshold may go up more than expected as they stand to have the highest academic scores.

The new scoring system will favour those with exceptional UKCAT scores, consistent AS performance and achieved grades (over those 'just' with fantastic GCSEs who may later 'flop' academically). The main goal is to differentiate the scoring more so that it is easier to choose a threshold score for interview but also it simplifies the offers process as they will hope to have a higher proportion of candidates with achieved grades hence a lower drop-out rate post results...

Bear in mind too that as (based on 2013 stats) only 10% of UKCAT candidates score 3030+ it means that <10% will be able to achieve scores over 64.5/68 even if they all have perfect 34/34 academic rankings.

Just be very tactical about where you apply, play to your strengths. Only apply somewhere where you can guarantee that they will at least get as far as reading your personal statement...
Do I stand a chance here? My UKCAT score is 690
I have 4As and 9a*s so will get full points in academics- it's my ukcat I'm worried about.
The UKCAT was harder this year so the average would be lower this year but I don't know by how much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I'm a re applicant with achieved AAA and 9A* 5A's at GCSE. Considering the new scoring system, does Leicester give an advantage to those with already achieved A levels. If so, I was wondering what people thought a competitive UKCAT score would be as I have mine next week :smile: Thanks
Original post by Ravin429
Hi,

I'm a re applicant with achieved AAA and 9A* 5A's at GCSE. Considering the new scoring system, does Leicester give an advantage to those with already achieved A levels. If so, I was wondering what people thought a competitive UKCAT score would be as I have mine next week :smile: Thanks

Hi there! Successful 2014 reapplicant here.

I would say the new scoring system does give an reapplicant a slight advantage compared to last year's system. What would your score be for the academic section?

With regards to the UKCAT, the average score is somewhere in the mid-sixhundereds. As a personal rule of thumb, I say anything over 670 is a good score. But with Leicester, because the UKCAT is scored, it is applicants with monstrous scores who apply.

Hope this helps :smile:

P.S. Best of luck for the UKCAT as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
If an applicant had 10A* st gcse, 3 A's at AS, a great ukcat score but a C in AS chemistry how much would this go against him? Any help much appreciated 😊
Original post by minhle20
Hi there! Successful 2014 reapplicant here.

I would say the new scoring system does give an reapplicant a slight advantage compared to last year's system. What would your score be for the academic section?

With regards to the UKCAT, the average score is somewhere in the mid-sixhundereds. As a personal rule of thumb, I say anything over 670 is a good score. But with Leicester, because the UKCAT is scored, it is applicants with monstrous scores who apply.

Hope this helps :smile:

P.S. Best of luck for the UKCAT as well.

Hello, thanks for the reply. I think I would score 34/34 for academics (29 for top 6 GCSE's plus 5 from my achieved A levels). I sat the UKCAT last year and somehow scored 723, hoping for something similar next week. Would you consider that a 'monstrous score' as I get the impression that they loads of applicants with 800's at the UKCAT heavy uni's.
Hello, thanks for the reply. I think I would score 34/34 for academics (29 for top 6 GCSE's plus 5 from my achieved A levels). I sat the UKCAT last year and somehow scored 723, hoping for something similar next week. Would you consider that a 'monstrous score' as I get the impression that they loads of applicants with 800's at the UKCAT heavy uni's.

I would say 750+ scores are in the 'monstrous' class. But anything over 700, in my opinion, is very strong as a score. I reckon that the applicants to UKCAT heavy uni's generally would have a a score of 700+.
Original post by minhle20
I would say 750+ scores are in the 'monstrous' class. But anything over 700, in my opinion, is very strong as a score. I reckon that the applicants to UKCAT heavy uni's generally would have a a score of 700+.

Cheers, you mentioned you were a reapplicant, if you don't mind me asking, what did you do to improve your application before you applied as it's only a month or so between results and start of the new application cycle :smile:
Cheers, you mentioned you were a reapplicant, if you don't mind me asking, what did you do to improve your application before you applied as it's only a month or so between results and start of the new application cycle :smile:

You can't really do much really. Did you do any volunteering during year 13? If you have, then thats great, if not then on your personal statement just embellish what you have. I started my personal statement from scratch and it was generally a better piece of prose compared to my previous one.
I would get full points in academics
Just worried about my ukcat score which is 690
Is that enough to apply with the new system?

average has gone down though from last year http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2014%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20140814.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hpcp
I would get full points in academics
Just worried about my ukcat score which is 690
Is that enough to apply with the new system?

average has gone down though from last year http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2014%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20140814.pdf

*Thanks Amyk89 - Edited because the info was wrong and potentially damaging - sorry - hopefully its correct now! :colondollar: *

For Leicester, they mark by the total UKCAT score, and in your case, you are just above 2750 band. tricky - you are near the cutoff

However, the good thing about UKCAT, is that you can verify where you really are before you apply to Uni. This is because all UKCAT decile results come out a week or so before the application deadlines.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Parent_help
ALL IMO - If I was you, I'd apply to med schools that DO NOT band the UKCAT score.

Whilst 690 is repectable, its at the top side of a UKCAT band for Leicester. Its not a lost cause but this year, I think 700+ is cutoff borderline, with 750+ giving a good chance of an interview (with full academics).

Consider this.....
- 25,000 take the UKCAT each year
- Using Leicester's scoring, you get the same UKCAT points as someone who got 650 UKCAT. This year, thats the 5th decile (the top 50% of applicants got that score)
- If you had got 10 points more, you would have been midway in the 8th decile (the Top 25% of applicants)

However, the good thing about UKCAT, is that you can verify where you really are before you apply to Uni. This is because all UKCAT decile results come out a week or so before the application deadlines.

Not quite true anymore. Leicester's scoring system has now changed to give a wider range of scores for ukcat. 690 would score 27.5/34 which is still a bit of a risk but it depends on how high the scores are now.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/admissionsupdates
(edited 9 years ago)
is 62.5/68 decent?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending