The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

so do you guys think i could get into economics with the a levels i am doing? also, i'm planning to drop german and resit my chemistry exam because it didn't really go well for me and i know i can do better :smile: is it worth resitting? i know some uni's don't really like resits
Original post by doublecc123
so do you guys think i could get into economics with the a levels i am doing? also, i'm planning to drop german and resit my chemistry exam because it didn't really go well for me and i know i can do better :smile: is it worth resitting? i know some uni's don't really like resits

Yeah I've never seen any universities that require anything other than maths or maybe geog/econ but most just maths, I've heard they tend to teach econ from scratch anyway in order to make sure it's taught they want it to be

But if there's any particular university you've already thought about you can email their departments to check :smile:
Have you thought of anywhere yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Yeah I've never seen any universities that require anything other than maths or maybe geog/econ but most just maths, I've heard they tend to teach econ from scratch anyway in order to make sure it's taught they want it to be

But if there's any particular university you've already thought about you can email their departments to check :smile:
Have you thought of anywhere yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't made my mind up yet :smile: I'm planning to spend my whole day tomorrow just looking at universities and their entry requirements haha and by the way, congratulations with your results too! 4 A's is prettyyyyyyyy good :biggrin:
I haven't made my mind up yet :smile: I'm planning to spend my whole day tomorrow just looking at universities and their entry requirements haha and by the way, congratulations with your results too! 4 A's is prettyyyyyyyy good :biggrin:

Ah thank you and have fun I'm EPQ-ong all day tomorrow ergh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah thank you and have fun I'm EPQ-ong all day tomorrow ergh

Posted from TSR Mobile

We got offered the EPQ at our school too but they never really told us when we had to start it. I want to do it to because our teachers told us that by doing the EPQ universities can lower their entry requirements. Not sure about that though. What are you doing your project on? :smile:
We got offered the EPQ at our school too but they never really told us when we had to start it. I want to do it to because our teachers told us that by doing the EPQ universities can lower their entry requirements. Not sure about that though. What are you doing your project on? :smile:

The chinese labour market, it's slightly less dull than it sounds, I probably should have chosen something else but I ended up not thinking about it until a couple of days before the title was due so hey ho this is what I've got to do haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 126
Hey! I would say im ok at maths should have got a B but exam went awful and am taking forward AAB. Yes ive looked at BA's and alike - looking at Bham Loughborugh Leeds Leicester, where it seems only GCSE maths is required and you can tailor your degree around strenghts! Im just worried whether I will get in:frown: Gcse- 2A*s 5As 3Bs AS- AABD.
Original post by Sim1
Hey! I would say im ok at maths should have got a B but exam went awful and am taking forward AAB. Yes ive looked at BA's and alike - looking at Bham Loughborugh Leeds Leicester, where it seems only GCSE maths is required and you can tailor your degree around strenghts! Im just worried whether I will get in:frown: Gcse- 2A*s 5As 3Bs AS- AABD.

You're gcses are pretty good and as long as your predicted AAA or more and have a good ps it can't see why you wouldn't get an offer from somewhere :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128
You're gcses are pretty good and as long as your predicted AAA or more and have a good ps it can't see why you wouldn't get an offer from somewhere :smile:

Thanks! Hopefully! Really just gotta work real hard this year. Loughborough for me seems really appealing with sports etc too. Hopefully get predicted A*AA- in economics got 92 and 95ums in papers.
[QUOTE="Sim1;49637355"]

Thanks! Hopefully! Really just gotta work real hard this year. Loughborough for me seems really appealing with sports etc too. Hopefully get predicted A*AA- in economics got 92 and 95ums in papers.

Ah congratulations that's great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey there.

I've finished my AS levels and attained the following results:

Maths: A (260/300)
Chemistry: B (225/300)
Economics: B (145/200)
*Applied ICT: D (*dropping it for A2)

My GCSE results: 1A*, 4As, 2Bs and distinction in OCR Nationals ICT.

I am considering the following universities:

Queen Mary's London University
University of Birmingham
University of Manchester
Loughborough University
Leicester University

My school will be predicting me A*AB for A2 and would anybody happen to know of any other decent universities that I could apply to for economics. I have ruled out LSE and Warwick because I don't think I'll stand a chance applying there with the grades I've got.

I will be retaking some AS modules in the A2 year as I want to try and get AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it worth having a AAA offer back up?
I'm thinking of applying to Cam, UCL, Warwick, maybe Nottingham/Bristol/Durham
But I've seen many people on here applying to these uni's only apply to A*AA unis..
Original post by Username13
Is it worth having a AAA offer back up?
I'm thinking of applying to Cam, UCL, Warwick, maybe Nottingham/Bristol/Durham
But I've seen many people on here applying to these uni's only apply to A*AA unis..

I'm doing that, that's why I'm applying to leeds I'm pretty confident I can get As next year as I basically just need Cs to do that with the ums from this year, also for me nottingham is a lower offer as that's a*abb for people doing four A2s like me
Imo it's a good idea to have a backup just incase your results don't quite go to plan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheCoolBK
Hey there.

I've finished my AS levels and attained the following results:

Maths: A (260/300)
Chemistry: B (225/300)
Economics: B (145/200)
*Applied ICT: D (*dropping it for A2)

My GCSE results: 1A*, 4As, 2Bs and distinction in OCR Nationals ICT.

I am considering the following universities:

Queen Mary's London University
University of Birmingham
University of Manchester
Loughborough University
Leicester University

My school will be predicting me A*AB for A2 and would anybody happen to know of any other decent universities that I could apply to for economics. I have ruled out LSE and Warwick because I don't think I'll stand a chance applying there with the grades I've got.

I will be retaking some AS modules in the A2 year as I want to try and get AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really sorry but I have no idea about any of those unis but if I were you I'd apply to 1 maybe 2 AAA/A*AA and then 2 AAB and an ABB as a bit of a safer net, you'll want to spread out your entry requirements in case of all situations

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would you guys rank in order: bath, bristol & nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really sorry but I have no idea about any of those unis but if I were you I'd apply to 1 maybe 2 AAA/A*AA and then 2 AAB and an ABB as a bit of a safer net, you'll want to spread out your entry requirements in case of all situations

Posted from TSR Mobile

Queen Mary's and Birmingham both ask for AAA. Manchester and Loughborough ask for AAB and my very last option is Leicester with ABB

I'm trying to be realistic as I possibly can but at the same time, I want to aim high for a good university, not necessarily top unis like LSE, Warwick or UCL that are extremely tough to get into.

Thanks anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheCoolBK
Queen Mary's and Birmingham both ask for AAA. Manchester and Loughborough ask for AAB and my very last option is Leicester with ABB

I'm trying to be realistic as I possibly can but at the same time, I want to aim high for a good university, not necessarily top unis like LSE, Warwick or UCL that are extremely tough to get into.

Thanks anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh so it was exactly as I said then, yeah that's good plus I'm almost certain a girl in the year above me got an unconditional when she applied for econ and geog and she had a B in econ last year, which is obviously great because she didn't have to worry about her results too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 137
Original post by spyrogyra
How would you guys rank in order: bath, bristol & nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Regarding economics they're all pretty similar, they're seen as "semi target uni's" behind the likes of Warwick, LSE etc however that's mainly regarding Investment Banks. Nottingham was the most sought after uni by employers for 2014, for me I'd go Nottingham, Bath then Bristol but that's mainly due to opinion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nikmali
Regarding economics they're all pretty similar, they're seen as "semi target uni's" behind the likes of Warwick, LSE etc however that's mainly regarding Investment Banks. Nottingham was the most sought after uni by employers for 2014, for me I'd go Nottingham, Bath then Bristol but that's mainly due to opinion!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, i dont really want to go into IB, maybe consultancy or accounting but i realise its just down to personal opinion because they are similar

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
Original post by spyrogyra
Thanks, i dont really want to go into IB, maybe consultancy or accounting but i realise its just down to personal opinion because they are similar

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh what grades and predictions have you got if you don't mind me asking?😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending