The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bromaldehyde
Face it we can't attract anyone world class like Falcao , we will just need to get someone average

Posted from TSR Mobile

Falcao is paid an insane wage - that makes it a no go deal as far as I'm concerned.

I think he gets like 12mil a year tax free in Monaco but we'd also have to pay 50% tax on his wages in England so probably like £450,000 A WEEK.
Original post by Zerforax
Falcao is paid an insane wage - that makes it a no go deal as far as I'm concerned.

I think he gets like 12mil a year tax free in Monaco but we'd also have to pay 50% tax on his wages in England so probably like £450,000 A WEEK.

as a fan i would be happy to take him, but looking from a financial view, why should we pay him any more than we paid suarez (who is a better player anyway)?

by all means enquire for falcao and cavani, even make a bid if you want, but we need to make sure that we buy someone by the time that window shuts.
jesus, i feel like a man united fan here.
Reply 362
Original post by Zerforax

That's a 4 bedroom semi-detached house. Per week. **** you Falcao. **** you.
Falcao wouldnt be £450,000 a week lol. Would probably be on what Suarez was - £200,000-£250,000.

I dont really think an out and out striker is needed tbh, just a winger that can play upfront ( Reus, Lavezzi or someone of that mould) because Reus will never happen and Lavezzi is doubtful.
Original post by CB91
Falcao wouldnt be £450,000 a week lol. Would probably be on what Suarez was - £200,000-£250,000.

I dont really think an out and out striker is needed tbh, just a winger that can play upfront ( Reus, Lavezzi or someone of that mould) because Reus will never happen and Lavezzi is doubtful.

good point - i think if we bought an out and out striker and he was too high profile, we might have to change formation to acomodate him and sturridge.
i know i keep saying it but why not bony?
it isn't like he hasn't got quality, and he has proved himself always in the premier league.

also, i don't think lavezzi is above us tbh.
reus, cavani and falcao all are but i don't think lavezzi in on the same level in my opinion.
CB missed the part where Lavezzi is overrated and ****e
Original post by SHOO
That's a 4 bedroom semi-detached house. Per week. **** you Falcao. **** you.

bit harsh
Falcao

please
It seems like Rodgers wants a world class option such as Cavani, Falcao, Reus or Balo (Ian Ayre met agent today) and would be happy with any of them. If (as expected) none of the deals go ahead for whatever reason then Bony and Eto are the backup options. It is not what he wants but it would be better to have one of those 2 than no one.
Mino Raiola is the agent to 1000s of players (including our own Assaidi), not just Balotelli.

I would be gobsmacked if Rodgers signed him, after repeatedly talking about the importance of young players' mentalities, drive to succeed and professionalism. Absolutely ****ing gobsmacked.

Leave aside the fact that he's not actually that good a footballer and certainly isn't good enough to break our system for.
Original post by Yesss I diddd
Mino Raiola is the agent to 1000s of players (including our own Assaidi), not just Balotelli.

I would be gobsmacked if Rodgers signed him, after repeatedly talking about the importance of young players' mentalities, drive to succeed and professionalism. Absolutely ****ing gobsmacked.

Leave aside the fact that he's not actually that good a footballer and certainly isn't good enough to break our system for.

Who would you be happy with personally? Realistically too of course.

I don't believe for a moment Liverpool won't buy a striker. Even if it is Eto'o as last resort for example. As i see it Lambert replaces Aspas, while a replacement for Suarez is needed, so someone of higher quality than Lambert, though obviously not as good as Suarez. I am yet to watch Bafa Gomis, but heard some good things from Swansea fans, and was highly rated at Lyon. Wouldn'y he have been a good shout? From what i've heard ability wise is similar to Bony and cost Swansea nothing.

What happens with Borini? Why wasn't he on the bench on the weekend?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 371
Original post by Gob Bluth

Borini ****ed up his shoulder again so he's out. Obviously he won't be sold until we've bought in somebody else. Gus Poyet said he's still confident of getting him, which suggests he'll definitely go once we've got a replacement.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gob Bluth
Who would you be happy with personally? Realistically too of course.

I don't believe for a moment Liverpool won't buy a striker. Even if it is Eto'o as last resort for example. As i see it Lambert replaces Aspas, while a replacement for Suarez is needed, so someone of higher quality than Lambert, though obviously not as good as Suarez. I am yet to watch Bafa Gomis, but heard some good things from Swansea fans, and was highly rated at Lyon. Wouldn'y he have been a good shout? From what i've heard ability wise is similar to Bony and cost Swansea nothing.

We will definitely buy a striker. I don't know why people here and elsewhere are making threats and bold statements like 'if we don't buy a striker ____________'; we will definitely buy one.

Just because I feel like writing about strikers

Spoiler

These are the only ones we've been linked with really. No point really talking about Lacazette, Volland, Firmino, Son etc who all seem to fit the bill but we haven't moved for. I do wonder whether Bony is above Eto'o in the priority list. Gomis is pretty old and has no PL experience, I guess that's why they said no.

edit: Borini has an injured shoulder as cBay says, I've heard rumours that Sunderland have moved on though. Maybe getting a new striker will finally push him out the door. He's going to scrape onto our bench for domestic cup games and that's it, I have no idea why he wants to stay.
(edited 9 years ago)
Richard Buxton ‏@RichardBuxton_ 7m
#LFC still pushing for Falcao loan & a permanent deal for Mario Balotelli. No one can accuse Brendan Rodgers of lacking ambition this summer

ITS HAPPENING GUYS
Many other sources also reporting Falcao and/or Balotelli. Not sure if we are aiming for one or both.
I'd rathe Kruse than Falcao.
Original post by Yesss I diddd
We will definitely buy a striker. I don't know why people here and elsewhere are making threats and bold statements like 'if we don't buy a striker ____________'; we will definitely buy one.

Just because I feel like writing about strikers

Spoiler

These are the only ones we've been linked with really. No point really talking about Lacazette, Volland, Firmino, Son etc who all seem to fit the bill but we haven't moved for. I do wonder whether Bony is above Eto'o in the priority list. Gomis is pretty old and has no PL experience, I guess that's why they said no.

edit: Borini has an injured shoulder as cBay says, I've heard rumours that Sunderland have moved on though. Maybe getting a new striker will finally push him out the door. He's going to scrape onto our bench for domestic cup games and that's it, I have no idea why he wants to stay.

Actually didn't see Gomis' age. Guess that's fair enough. Bony is excellent, requires good service, something he'd get at Liverpool. It's a risk at the 19m quoted, i'd rather he stay where he is but i'm being biased towards Swansea here :p:

Would like to see Borini get a chance personally. Don't think he's good enough, but still.
Tony Barrett confirms interest in Falcao, confirms he's number 1 target, confirms he's dependent on

about as good a source as you'll get really
Reply 378
£20mil (including wages) for a season of Falcao is ridiculously risky. If he had PL experience and wasn't just coming back from a serious injury, then I would say go for it because he's that good, but I dunno. What if he struggles? That would be £20mil that we would never get back.

To put it into perspective, Bony would cost about £20mil as well as £3-4mil wages per season, and with sell-on value.

If I was playing football manager, I would go for Bony in that situation.

On the other hand, if Falcao comes in and hits the ground running, then we would challenge for the title and CL without a doubt.

I still think Borini would do well in our team now. In his first season, his movement always seemed to be amazing but we just weren't able to pick him out. Now our midfielders are much better at picking out runs and I think he would flourish. But really he needed the chance to prove this in pre-season which is why the injury was such a shame. As he hasn't proven himself, we have no option but to get another striker which means he'll probably leave.
(edited 9 years ago)
It'd be amazing if one of Falcao/Balotelli signed for us! :colone:

My concern about Balotelli is that he has a crap attitude and is bit of a trouble maker, but if BR thinks Balotelli is now mature and can help us improve then hopefully it'll work out for the best.

Quick Reply

Latest