The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gob Bluth
Actually didn't see Gomis' age. Guess that's fair enough. Bony is excellent, requires good service, something he'd get at Liverpool. It's a risk at the 19m quoted, i'd rather he stay where he is but i'm being biased towards Swansea here :p:

Would like to see Borini get a chance personally. Don't think he's good enough, but still.

Tbh I've heard that your chairman (Huw Jenkins? is his name?) wants to sell him this summer so will ease off on his buyout clause and he might be available for 15. Even at 19m he's relatively risk free imo. Would be a great second choice.

He's a good guy and a hard worker, but that isn't enough. He's not quick enough, prolific enough or technical enough to play in our front three. And all three by a long shot. Nowhere near good enough and £14m is honestly unbelievable, I was thinking we'd be looking at the £6-8m range.
Original post by Yesss I diddd
Tbh I've heard that your chairman (Huw Jenkins? is his name?) wants to sell him this summer so will ease off on his buyout clause and he might be available for 15. Even at 19m he's relatively risk free imo. Would be a great second choice.

He's a good guy and a hard worker, but that isn't enough. He's not quick enough, prolific enough or technical enough to play in our front three. And all three by a long shot. Nowhere near good enough and £14m is honestly unbelievable, I was thinking we'd be looking at the £6-8m range.

I haven't heard that myself, not to say it might be true ofc, as i haven't followed pre season that much. Would be a bit concerned though selling the most important player of the previous season, but we don't want another Michu on our hands who gets sulky and leaves the previous season on loan.

I agree; at the price of 14m you got to take it.
If BR gets either one of Falcao/Balotelli I'll be over the moon, even if we end up with Bony I'll be extremely happy with this transfer window. Great to see BR having high ambitions, now we just need to secure 4th place this season.

The City v Liverpool game should be good on Monday, what's everyones predictions? I think it'll be a draw, possibly 1-1 or 2-2.
Falcao I doubt will happen.

Monaco must be in the **** financially if they're having to sell their players the second they get into the CL. You'd think that they'd just keep that team, take the FFP fine from UEFA and use the CL money but I don't think they thought it through properly in trying to win Ligue 1 from being a promoted team in the space of a season by financial purposes when PSG already had 2 or 3 seasons to do what Monaco have tried to do.

Falcao loan for a season just seems like it'll happen because he has been on the bench for the first 2 games. May be possible that they cannot afford Falcao and are shifting their best players to balance books.
Original post by cBay
£20mil (including wages) for a season of Falcao is ridiculously risky. If he had PL experience and wasn't just coming back from a serious injury, then I would say go for it because he's that good, but I dunno. What if he struggles? That would be £20mil that we would never get back.

To put it into perspective, Bony would cost about £20mil as well as £3-4mil wages per season, and with sell-on value.

If I was playing football manager, I would go for Bony in that situation.

On the other hand, if Falcao comes in and hits the ground running, then we would challenge for the title and CL without a doubt.

I still think Borini would do well in our team now. In his first season, his movement always seemed to be amazing but we just weren't able to pick him out. Now our midfielders are much better at picking out runs and I think he would flourish. But really he needed the chance to prove this in pre-season which is why the injury was such a shame. As he hasn't proven himself, we have no option but to get another striker which means he'll probably leave.

couldn't have put it better myself.
falcao (if we were lucky enough to get him for a season) on loan would be laughably expensive for a single season player who we would have to adapt for and who would have no sell on value.
i'm not gonna deny that if he had the form that his playing career so far has shown us, we would mount a serious challenge.

however i feel like buying a player is the way to go in this case - if we loan a striker we will still have the same problem a year in the future when they return to their club.

as far as borini goes, i'm fine without him.
he hasn't had a mass of chances but he's too injury prone and in the few opportunities he has had, no sizeable quality has been shown; nothing we would miss out on if he left.
Reply 385
Original post by sr90

We've got you beat there.

For example we currently have 3 fit CM's, one with a terminal illness and one being Tom Cleverley, yet there is no indication that a replacement will be brought in even though we've needed one for about 8 years.

Looks like my prayers have been answered at least.

Falcao would be amazing. **** the fee/wages, we have plenty of money.
Reply 386
Original post by jam278

Monaco must be in the **** financially if they're having to sell their players the second they get into the CL. You'd think that they'd just keep that team, take the FFP fine from UEFA and use the CL money but I don't think they thought it through properly in trying to win Ligue 1 from being a promoted team in the space of a season by financial purposes when PSG already had 2 or 3 seasons to do what Monaco have tried to do.

Falcao loan for a season just seems like it'll happen because he has been on the bench for the first 2 games. May be possible that they cannot afford Falcao and are shifting their best players to balance books.

Monaco's average attendance was 9000 last season (their stadium holds 18000). It's right in the corner of France with not much nearby apart from Nice (who have their own fairly successful team, pretty consistently stays in Ligue 1). The clearly don't have many fans and it's hard to see how they could increase it. Therefore commercial revenue and sponsorship will also be low. Of course they have the advantage of being in a tax haven, but apart from that they don't really have any proper streams of revenue. You'd think the £70mil from Rodriguez plus CL money would be enough to keep them over the line but maybe they just need that extra £20mil. Or maybe the owner got bored.

Obviously they haven't thought it through because they had no way of knowing they would get £70mil back for Rodriguez this summer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278

Monaco must be in the **** financially if they're having to sell their players the second they get into the CL

I've heard that their owner is involved in some costly divorce and has pulled the plug. Not sure how reliable that is.
Original post by sr90
I've heard that their owner is involved in some costly divorce and has pulled the plug. Not sure how reliable that is.

supposedly his wife will get half of his money.
lol, no point talking about their attendance etc.

their owner is having a £9bn divorce settlement and he's lost all appetite to pursue the project at Monaco apparently, according to Balague and others. Makes enough sense.
Original post by The Assassin
supposedly his wife will get half of his money.

Supposedly means the wife will get half his money.

lol, no point talking about their attendance etc.

their owner is having a £9bn divorce settlement and he's lost all appetite to pursue the project at Monaco apparently, according to Balague and others. Makes enough sense.

Well that almost settles you being top 3 this season minimum if you have Falcao and possibly top 2. You have better selection of strikers than last season, better range of midfielders and a CB. The transition from Suarez to Falcao isn't that bad. Falcao is pretty complete as a forward although not as good as Suarez as a footballer.

Interesting stuff man. They're in turmoil as well. You'll easily come above them in the case of a group of death.
(edited 9 years ago)
Offtopic
£9bn divorce settlement? I'm all for feminism but that's ****** up.
Original post by jam278
Well that almost settles you being top 3 this season minimum if you have Falcao and possibly top 2. You have better selection of strikers than last season, better range of midfielders and a CB. The transition from Suarez to Falcao isn't that bad. Falcao is pretty complete as a forward although not as good as Suarez as a footballer.

Interesting stuff man. They're in turmoil as well. You'll easily come above them in the case of a group of death.

i think as a striker they're about even, but as an overall player suarez is on the next level
imo you have messi and ronaldo up there interchanging as the best, with suarez below them in third but above everybody else.

Monaco just got thrashed by bordeaux; we would absolutely annihilate them.
Original post by CB91
Falcao wouldnt be £450,000 a week lol. Would probably be on what Suarez was - £200,000-£250,000.

I dont really think an out and out striker is needed tbh, just a winger that can play upfront ( Reus, Lavezzi or someone of that mould) because Reus will never happen and Lavezzi is doubtful.

Well if Falcao gets 12mil a year - that's 230k a week and then you have to double since there's next to no tax in Monaco but 50% in England.

Original post by SteelCookie
Richard Buxton ‏@RichardBuxton_ 7m
#LFC still pushing for Falcao loan & a permanent deal for Mario Balotelli. No one can accuse Brendan Rodgers of lacking ambition this summer

ITS HAPPENING GUYS

Jeez we wouldn't even be able to fit both into the side.

Original post by cBay
£20mil (including wages) for a season of Falcao is ridiculously risky. If he had PL experience and wasn't just coming back from a serious injury, then I would say go for it because he's that good, but I dunno. What if he struggles? That would be £20mil that we would never get back.

To put it into perspective, Bony would cost about £20mil as well as £3-4mil wages per season, and with sell-on value.

If I was playing football manager, I would go for Bony in that situation.

On the other hand, if Falcao comes in and hits the ground running, then we would challenge for the title and CL without a doubt.

I still think Borini would do well in our team now. In his first season, his movement always seemed to be amazing but we just weren't able to pick him out. Now our midfielders are much better at picking out runs and I think he would flourish. But really he needed the chance to prove this in pre-season which is why the injury was such a shame. As he hasn't proven himself, we have no option but to get another striker which means he'll probably leave.

That money for Falcao is insane.. maybe FSG see it is spending that money makes CL next season more likely?
Reply 395
Just wow if we somehow end up with Falcao
Original post by Zerforax
Well if Falcao gets 12mil a year - that's 230k a week and then you have to double since there's next to no tax in Monaco but 50% in England.

Jeez we wouldn't even be able to fit both into the side.

That money for Falcao is insane.. maybe FSG see it is spending that money makes CL next season more likely?

FSG will spend money that is available. Rodgers is clearly looking for a top striker as Sturridge is injury prone, he's an automatic starter but if he does an RVP and missed a third of the season to injury you need somebody who can come in on his own and work while be a good partner for Sturridge. Considering Falcao and Costa worked well, surely Falcao and Sturridge can work similarly well. I think Sturridge has good link up play anyway.
Original post by jam278

Not really. A lot of things can go wrong with Falcao;

- doesn't get used to the league
- doesn't integrate into the team properly
- reoccurence of his injury
- takes time to reach top form after injury

The first factor is enhanced because he's older, the second factor is enhanced because he's much more of a pure 9 than Suarez was, and the other two factors aren't things that should be coming with a new signing.

If he hits the ground running and plays to somewhere near to his peak then we'll be title winners. No doubt. His goals and our improved defence.

If he flops due to any number of possible reasons, the main ones above, we'll have burnt £20m and will be in top four race (and possibly worse off than we would be without Falcao).
Not really. A lot of things can go wrong with Falcao;

- doesn't get used to the league
- doesn't integrate into the team properly
- reoccurence of his injury
- takes time to reach top form after injury

The first factor is enhanced because he's older, the second factor is enhanced because he's much more of a pure 9 than Suarez was, and the other two factors aren't things that should be coming with a new signing.

If he hits the ground running and plays to somewhere near to his peak then we'll be title winners. No doubt. His goals and our improved defence.

If he flops due to any number of possible reasons, the main ones above, we'll have burnt £20m and will be in top four race (and possibly worse off than we would be without Falcao).

:lolwut:
Reply 399
Original post by manchesterunited15
:lolwut:

I lol'd too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest