The Student Room Group

Best programming technologies to learn?

Hi Everyone,

I want to be a software developer once I graduate, which technologies are the most in demand in the industry? I know C# but I need to broaden my knowledge of other languages. Any recommendations? Also which databases are the best to learn these days? I see lots of chat about Big Data etc

Thanks
Reply 1
I actually think hardware skills/knowledge are quite rare and increase employability. Mainly because so few in the modern generation get exposed to it.
Reply 2
Original post by elohssa
I actually think hardware skills/knowledge are quite rare and increase employability. Mainly because so few in the modern generation get exposed to it.

But wouldn't I need to be doing an Electrical Engineering degree for that?
Reply 3
Original post by Mongo84
But wouldn't I need to be doing an Electrical Engineering degree for that?

I don't think any degree teaches that. That's why hardware skills are rare, because few people are exposed to hardware knowledge.
Visual Basic and Python are extremely useful in the world of Investment Banking and Financial Trading, especially the middle office. However general software developing is usually done in Java and C++. I'd advise not getting used to any programming language, your skills in software developing will change from the moment you receive your degree to the moment you retire and so will all the programming languages you learn, they'll be optimised to make it faster to write programs for them.

Hardware engineering skills are rare, if you have them, you'll be extremely useful, especially in a server management role.

Writing Regular Expressions and SQL Server protocols fluently will help you a lot in a database management role, unless you're planning on just creating something simple with Microsoft Access.

Big Data is just a marketing term, it's nothing special.
Reply 5
Original post by Thahleel
Visual Basic and Python are extremely useful in the world of Investment Banking and Financial Trading, especially the middle office. However general software developing is usually done in Java and C++. I'd advise not getting used to any programming language, your skills in software developing will change from the moment you receive your degree to the moment you retire and so will all the programming languages you learn, they'll be optimised to make it faster to write programs for them.

Hardware engineering skills are rare, if you have them, you'll be extremely useful, especially in a server management role.

Writing Regular Expressions and SQL Server protocols fluently will help you a lot in a database management role, unless you're planning on just creating something simple with Microsoft Access.

Big Data is just a marketing term, it's nothing special.

Yea I never really found a good online source that explains what big data actually is from a software implementation level.
Original post by elohssa
Yea I never really found a good online source that explains what big data actually is from a software implementation level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyWg5jBYIj0

This video is great for getting the point across that it's just a marketing term for complicated data mining.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending