The Student Room Group

Bradford Clinical Sciences

I am a student, 17 years of age, studying three Sciences and Maths and currently living in West Yorkshire. After facing some obstacles of upon entering my dream course, Medicine, I stumbled across the BSc (Hons) in Clinical Sciences. I understand that this course is for students who have not met the grades first time round and to encourage students from a widening range of background to enter medical and healthcare education. I have a few questions regarding the course and my elgiblty for it. During my AS year, unfortunately I had two family bereavements combined with the huge step up from GCSE the year was inevitably not successful for me. Due to medical schools not looking favourably upon resits this left me with little to no options. I have contacted Bradford regarding resits and they have assured me that the university will accept resits provided its within three years. Thus, I have some questions which I would very much appreciate if you could answer for me.

1. Will I be rejected if I have good A-level predictions, as this course is for those who have fell short of the required grades to enter medical school? I don’t want this to be seen as a backup plan for someone who is capable of applying through the A100 route, which I can not apply through due to resit policy’s.

2. Are there any other medical schools besides Leeds who accept applications after the completion of Year 1?

3. If students fail to get accepted through Leeds, what is the best option to take on to enter Medicine?

4. I understand that Leeds now take the BMAT aptitude test, which test BMAT/UKCAT will be required for the selection/transfer process, if any?

5. On average, how many students surpass the minimum 60% mark yearly, which is required for the transfer from year 1 onto year 2 Leeds MBChB?

6. On average how many students does Bradford take for clinical sciences Year 1? And how many does Leeds accept to transfer?

7. How does Leeds eliminate students from selection? Do A-levels, extracurricular activities, work experience etc play to any affect.

8. Will Leeds accept Access to Leeds applications alongside transfer to have a better understanding of the students background?

9. Is there any before-hand preparation which could be done for success on the course? For instance any extra reading on A-level criteria, epq project research topic, useful books to read etc.

Also if anyone has had any experience with this course, another access course or doing three year Alevels and trying to get into medicine all your experiences and support would be appreciative. Thank you.
Hi! I'll attempt to answer your questions. I've just graduated, started in 2010 and did the foundation year.

1) good A-level predictions is advantageous, I cannot see how that would work to your disadvantage. However since you are study science A-levels you might only be eligible to apply straight into the first year.

2) only Leeds accept application into Medicine after completion of year 1. However it is not unheard of to hear someone has transferred to another course (not medicine in the UK) at another university. It is also not unheard of hearing students studying medicine at universities outside of the UK after the completion of year 1.

3) best option is to finish the course

4) I have not heard of needing to take the BMAT/UKCAT during the selection/transfer process. It is usually after the transfer is complete that you might be asked to take the test and that's for data collection purposes.

5) it is very dependent on the intake year, it cannot be predicted. Many people get the 60% however that is the criteria to make the application. However it is not unheard of for Leeds to set another academic baseline e.g. 65% to be called for interview.

6) I started in 2010 in foundation with an intake of approximately 60 ish students. Year 1 there was around 100 of us, though I know the intake is steadily increasing to around 120 give or take. However Leeds reserves 20 places for transfer for both foundation year into year 1 and year 1 into year 2.

7) Usually academic performance prior to Clin Sci is not looked at, however if your grades are good it is advantageous. Yeah work experience and extra curricular activities play a very pivotal role in the application, as Leeds has a criteria they score outside of academics such as cultural awareness and your insight into medicine etc

8) I'm sorry I don't know

9) based on experience before hand preparation is not a necessity and does not guarantee success. The course surpass the detail learned in a-level both in foundation year and year 1. Staying on top of the work and not leaving anything last minute does play a big part on getting the grades in the majority of cases.

From my 4 year experience, clin sci is no walk in the park its a very intensive course that is very demanding, and what you put in is usually what is reflected in your grades. It prepares you in every way for a career into medicine and any other healthcare profession and is very respected by other medical schools outside of Leeds.
I did try to transfer to leeds in foundation year and year 1 and narrowly missed out. I did not apply to GEM and instead i'm going to business school. I know many course mates going to start medicine in September and though the clin sci experience has been questionable at times doing this course was the best decision. It beats having a gap year with no guarantee of the future and there is no harm earning a degree in the process.

Hope it answered your questions :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you for the information.. I really do appreciate it. If you could go back and see what you could have changed for your entry to be successful into the transfer what would have you changed? And if you don't mind me asking why did you decide to go to business school and not go through GEM? Oh also do you think it would be better to transfer to pharmacology or Biomed as some say them degrees are more prestigious if one does not make it through the transfer and decides to apply GEM? Thank youuuu again! :smile:
Original post by @jemjemmings
Hi! I'll attempt to answer your questions. I've just graduated, started in 2010 and did the foundation year.

1) good A-level predictions is advantageous, I cannot see how that would work to your disadvantage. However since you are study science A-levels you might only be eligible to apply straight into the first year.

2) only Leeds accept application into Medicine after completion of year 1. However it is not unheard of to hear someone has transferred to another course (not medicine in the UK) at another university. It is also not unheard of hearing students studying medicine at universities outside of the UK after the completion of year 1.

4) I have not heard of needing to take the BMAT/UKCAT during the selection/transfer process. It is usually after the transfer is complete that you might be asked to take the test and that's for data collection purposes.

5) it is very dependent on the intake year, it cannot be predicted. Many people get the 60% however that is the criteria to make the application. However it is not unheard of for Leeds to set another academic baseline e.g. 65% to be called for interview.

6) I started in 2010 in foundation with an intake of approximately 60 ish students. Year 1 there was around 100 of us, though I know the intake is steadily increasing to around 120 give or take. However Leeds reserves 20 places for transfer for both foundation year into year 1 and year 1 into year 2.

7) Usually academic performance prior to Clin Sci is not looked at, however if your grades are good it is advantageous. Yeah work experience and extra curricular activities play a very pivotal role in the application, as Leeds has a criteria they score outside of academics such as cultural awareness and your insight into medicine etc

9) based on experience before hand preparation is not a necessity and does not guarantee success. The course surpass the detail learned in a-level both in foundation year and year 1. Staying on top of the work and not leaving anything last minute does play a big part on getting the grades in the majority of cases.

From my 4 year experience, clin sci is no walk in the park its a very intensive course that is very demanding, and what you put in is usually what is reflected in your grades. It prepares you in every way for a career into medicine and any other healthcare profession and is very respected by other medical schools outside of Leeds.
I did try to transfer to leeds in foundation year and year 1 and narrowly missed out. I did not apply to GEM and instead i'm going to business school. I know many course mates going to start medicine in September and though the clin sci experience has been questionable at times doing this course was the best decision. It beats having a gap year with no guarantee of the future and there is no harm earning a degree in the process.

You are very much welcome! :smile:

If I could change anything it would have been my defeatist attitude in the approach to work and keeping on top of the work instead of doing it last minute.
Ironically it was clin sci that introduced me into business, I did healthcare management and health economics, I enjoyed it so much and did really well in the modules so I thought I might as well get a masters and do something different.

Well though some courses are prestigious don't forget students studying Art have just a good a chance at GEM than science students. It's all about your insight into the career and being objective about you and your skills and if it is suitable for a successful career in medicine. I would say don't transfer to biomed, since nearly every university does it and it considered the most obvious course to choose for entry into GEM. However with clin sci especially in the 2nd and 3rd year you end up sharing a lot of modules with biomed and pharmacy and this is reflected in your transcripts. But Clin Sci is very different to biomed, the course is more transferable skills orientated to make you suitable not only to healthcare professions but to those outside of health. You'd just be as knowledgeable as a biomed student or more so depending on who you are talking to, in applying to jobs though some might say we don't have as much lab experience :tongue:
Original post by @jemjemmings

Hi I want to apply for foundation clinical sciences and use that to get into medical school in leeds.My question is, how should I write my personal statement considering I will also be applying to 4 biomed courses?? Does bradford look more preferably for medic personal statements considering I do want to do medicne and have medicine related experience??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending