The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DebkoX
Accounting -£80,000 +
Stockbroker - £25,000 +

Not a good idea.. Stockbrokers are going to be a thing of the past; most trades are placed by machine now and there are an abundance of virtual brokers - it's not the 80-90's anymore.
Original post by Princepieman
Not a good idea.. Stockbrokers are going to be a thing of the past; most trades are placed by machine now and there are an abundance of virtual brokers - it's not the 80-90's anymore.

Good thing its my second option :biggrin:

1: Accounting
2: Stockbroking
3: History Teacher
Reply 322
Original post by DebkoX
Good thing its my second option :biggrin:

1: Accounting
2: Stockbroking
3: History Teacher

Why would you want to be a stockbroker and not a trader?

And why would you want to do accountancy at all? :s-smilie: reconciling spreadsheets isn't as fun as it sounds. Particularly at month end.
Original post by Quady
Why would you want to be a stockbroker and not a trader?

And why would you want to do accountancy at all? :s-smilie: reconciling spreadsheets isn't as fun as it sounds. Particularly at month end.

Trading is also a prospect. Meh, Accountancy appeals to me.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
I simply disagree, particularly in London. People just have no idea what living well costs these days.

And no, 100k is pretty much impossible to achieve, but would aim for 40k+.

£30k would just about be enough for your rent if you're not sharing and want a decent apartment so yeah I'd say it's not enough for London.
Original post by teen1234
TBF most people on here probably go to public schools and so its obviously going to be skewed.

Can you expand on THIS? THIS... Whole private/public schools thing making stuff so skewed? It's as if there's this code of silence. WTF, HUH? It's as if there's this "it's obvious they're the exception" thing about people who go to private schools? I want to know this:

Are you referring to 'skewed' in the sense that it may be these supposed 'middle-class delusions' of theirs, or skewed as in 'it's fine for them, they've got contacts and connections'? Which one?

Just looking at these forums, and seeing so many people causally say after they graduate, 15 years down the line (aged 35) they'll be earning £25-40k, and in the meantime there's this very discreet notion private school people will really go far etc... It makes me SCARED as ****, as someone on a high bursary to one. LOOK, WTF MAN. I'm relatively intelligent, hard-working, and very aspirational and 'ambitious', and I do not want to get A*AA or better and still end up as some ****ty failure like that. I personally want to be earning £80k+ by the time I'm 35 (£50k+ after tax/£4k+ per month), salary/jobs-wise. There's more to be made if I somehow make a business. Anyway though, no, jobs-wise, come on...

I get this HORRIBLE impression that that will not happen because I CAN'T CONTROL IT FROM HAPPENING. YOU'RE TELLING ME IF I GO TO A TOP 10 UNI TO DO ECONOMICS, I can't earn £80k or over, ever? So, what, if I can't get into banking, I can't even get an £80k-ish salary in accounting/actuary/management or management consulting? ****, if that's gonna happen... **** it, I'll take the safe route, totally redo my A-levels differently/take different ones, start again, and go for a medical/dental degree which guarantees the sorta money I'd want to be satisfied with my success. No need to worry what uni I go to with that too.

Can ANYBODY comment/elaborate/give me a greater awareness and context as to what my prospects in TRUTH are, when you consider all these factors about me:

I'm male, live in Zone 4 London, am a Eurasian (Persian), with pretty white/slightly olive skin, a tolerable/symmetrical face, have a name I will need to change in the future, have a very clear, almost 'posh' southern/home counties accent (no dammed dialect/'lower-class' tone/no hint of being a chav, essentially, if we're gonna be non-PC; hate using such language), am what I subjectively believe to be a HIGHLY cultured and generally more aware person than most (though not with regards to true job prospects, evidently, considering I'm this flipping confused and am asking for opinions here on this forum of all places lol), I have a bursary to a top 20 private school (and thus know a fair few very middle-class people, and a number of extremely wealthy and connected ones too, though I'm not brilliant friends with them), may get A*AA or better next year and may go to a top 10 uni, hopefully top 6/target one, to do something quantitative/good/employable (eg economics), with a great leaning towards a career in banking or finance.

Any judgements, anybody can make, on my prospects? I'M TERRIFIED I'll fall into the average trap, of average earners, despite my capabilities... Foresight is a blessing people. Give it to me ffs...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wisefire
Can you expand on THIS? THIS... Whole private/public schools thing making stuff so skewed? It's as if there's this code of silence. WTF, HUH? It's as if there's this "it's obvious they're the exception" thing about people who go to private schools? I want to know this:

Are you referring to 'skewed' in the sense that it may be these supposed 'middle-class delusions' of theirs, or skewed as in 'it's fine for them, they've got contacts and connections'? Which one?

Just looking at these forums, and seeing so many people causally say after they graduate, 15 years down the line (aged 35) they'll be earning £25-40k, and in the meantime there's this very discreet notion private school people will really go far etc... It makes me SCARED as ****, as someone on a high bursary to one. LOOK, WTF MAN. I'm relatively intelligent, hard-working, and very aspirational and 'ambitious', and I do not want to get A*AA or better and still end up as some ****ty failure like that. I personally want to be earning £80k+ by the time I'm 35 (£50k+ after tax/£4k+ per month), salary/jobs-wise. There's more to be made if I somehow make a business. Anyway though, no, jobs-wise, come on...

I get this HORRIBLE impression that that will not happen because I CAN'T CONTROL IT FROM HAPPENING. YOU'RE TELLING ME IF I GO TO A TOP 10 UNI TO DO ECONOMICS, I can't earn £80k or over, ever? So, what, if I can't get into banking, I can't even get an £80k-ish salary in accounting/actuary/management or management consulting? ****, if that's gonna happen... **** it, I'll take the safe route, totally redo my A-levels differently/take different ones, start again, and go for a medical/dental degree which guarantees the sorta money I'd want to be satisfied with my success. No need to worry what uni I go to with that too.

Can ANYBODY comment/elaborate/give me a greater awareness and context as to what my prospects in TRUTH are, when you consider all these factors about me:

I'm male, live in Zone 4 London, am a Eurasian (Persian), with pretty white/slightly olive skin, a tolerable/symmetrical face, have a name I will need to change in the future, have a very clear, almost 'posh' southern/home counties accent (no dammed dialect/'lower-class' tone/no hint of being a chav, essentially, if we're gonna be non-PC; hate using such language), am what I subjectively believe to be a HIGHLY cultured and generally more aware person than most (though not with regards to true job prospects, evidently, considering I'm this flipping confused and am asking for opinions here on this forum of all places lol), I have a bursary to a top 20 private school (and thus know a fair few very middle-class people, and a number of extremely wealthy and connected ones too, though I'm not brilliant friends with them), may get A*AA or better next year and may go to a top 10 uni, hopefully top 6/target one, to do something quantitative/good/employable (eg economics), with a great leaning towards a career in banking or finance.

Any judgements, anybody can make, on my prospects? I'M TERRIFIED I'll fall into the average trap, of average earners, despite my capabilities... Foresight is a blessing people. Give it to me ffs...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read my post where i gave an example of a guy doing investment banking. He graduated from oxford with economics degree 1st class and is earning 75k + commission (another 75k probs?).
X

Wow, you need to pipe the **** down. £25-£40k at 35 isn't terrible (well £25k is a bit on the low end, I'm on that now at 26 so I would be hoping to be at the upper end of that). Most people end up with average lives on average wages, there's no shame in that. I did an Econ degree at an alright uni and I reckon at my peak I'll be on around £50-60k. I'm more than happy with that.

The notion that you want to be on £80k at that age is laughable, basically no one does that. The sooner you accept that you're not a special snowflake with "unique" skills and intelligence, the better and further you are going to go in life.

By all means have ambition, but don't be a **** about it like you are now.
Reply 328

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you been to a doctor yet?
If this is still eating you up to this extent I have actual concerns about your mental health.

If you work for someone then unless you're gifted (and it seems like you're not) you will be average. You'd need to start a busines.

But seriously, go and see a GP.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Wow, you need to pipe the **** down. £25-£40k at 35 isn't terrible (well £25k is a bit on the low end, I'm on that now at 26 so I would be hoping to be at the upper end of that). Most people end up with average lives on average wages, there's no shame in that. I did an Econ degree at an alright uni and I reckon at my peak I'll be on around £50-60k. I'm more than happy with that.

The notion that you want to be on £80k at that age is laughable, basically no one does that. The sooner you accept that you're not a special snowflake with "unique" skills and intelligence, the better and further you are going to go in life.

By all means have ambition, but don't be a **** about it like you are now.

Never lower your ambitions, firstly. **** jobs and being a salary slave; muster whatever genetic capability you've got and make yourself a living, or even rich, by buying or making a business. Do igaf if I'm trying till I die. Honestly, so long as I keep my goals in mind I'm fine. I come across as almost stupid/highly naive in these threads. I can see it. But look. OK. To be that guy earning £75k+ first year, Oxford econ, what do I have to do? So, what, get A*A*A*? Then am I going to be officially deemed unique? Ok, cool, I SO am going for that this year. Say I got that next year, in maths, economics and history... My gcses aren't great. 1a* only. Not Oxbridge material. What about UCL/Warwick material? Could I possibly get in to those?

Btw, it's not laughable. A hell load of people earn nearly that much, many more, at that age. 35 is 15 years of experience... I stated that age literally because A) that is the age many get to such salary figures (eg chartered accountants, 15yrs experience etc) and B) many jobs are out there that pay that much or more. Directors/senior roles, actuaries, the City of course etc. Why not just save, get a bloody MBA/Masters, then get that £70k+ job by 33/34/35? Look, I'll do whatever I need to do to make money. Two jobs at once. Flipping my house/getting new properties, making profits. Investing. Learning to code and trying to make some big, technological service, idk. It can't be hard to accrue £500k within one's working life btw? At my genuine minimum I'd be able to reside to some sort of contention if after tax I'd have earnt at least £500k by age 50. Lol at average wage that's possible, but that doesn't go far if you've got family.

Screw this, I'll start a business or invest. But HOW. **** I need to educate myself in such things badly, and then think hard about my good or service...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
X

What do you want from us then? You wanted a realistic view, and you've just ignored everything and went about agreeing with those who said it's possible (which it obviously is, but isn't likely).
Original post by Quady
Have you been to a doctor yet?
If this is still eating you up to this extent I have actual concerns about your mental health.

If you work for someone then unless you're gifted (and it seems like you're not) you will be average. You'd need to start a busines.

But seriously, go and see a GP.

I just want to be credible, free (free meaning enough disposable income and money to save £2k a month), and liked, and I feel money will very much push me up the social ladder and change my life, experiences and satisfaction levels. What's metal about me being overly (and overtly, ik) concerned about earning, alright, £65k+ when I'm older. "This" concerned? Alright, I'm just freaking out over how badly my unguided self (possibly genetics) has held me back. I'm also amazed by how much wealth there actually is, yet how little trickes down to damn salary slaves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Being brought up in a very low income family (13,000 ish) with 3 people, anything would suit me, as I was never sad at what we didn't have :smile: Will be a CompSci grad though, so I guess starting salary is 20,000 upwards?
What do you want from us then? You wanted a realistic view, and you've just ignored everything and went about agreeing with those who said it's possible (which it obviously is, but isn't likely).

I wanted what is indeed a disagreeable and unlikeable confirmation of many peoples' own expectations. Thanks for it. :smile: But look then... Tell me, what are your thoughts on how my peers, of which about half are less capable than me (and got worse AS' than me) look to be (confidently) aiming for £50k+ after tax (£75-80k)? With a partner of similar earning powers, alright, you're definitely middle-class, and that's great, but ignore that.

That original post of mine, which was trying to express how I know many people of near enough ambitions, tried to get at this. Some have been more 'star' quality than me, and that explains that partly, but what else can I say... My last chance to turn things round this year is with my retakes and A2s. I get it. I only get anxious when I envisage me still struggling to get to a top 6 uni if I get A*A*A (what I believe deep down I can peak at). I'm doing this for myself. I'm doing this for my middle-class house and great, noveau riche stupid investment of an expensive car. Gosh, do you learn about how to literally start a business with an MBA? My life's me fighting and defying whatever natural, genetic disposition I may have intelligence-wise. That's why I may seem so... Fixated. Inflexible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I wanted what is indeed a disagreeable and unlikeable confirmation of many peoples' own expectations. Thanks for it. :smile: But look then... Tell me, what are your thoughts on how my peers, of which about half are less capable than me (and got worse AS' than me) look to be (confidently) aiming for £50k+ after tax (£75-80k)? With a partner of similar earning powers, alright, you're definitely middle-class, and that's great, but ignore that.

That original post of mine, which was trying to express how I know many people of near enough ambitions, tried to get at this. Some have been more 'star' quality than me, and that explains that partly, but what else can I say... My last chance to turn things round this year is with my retakes and A2s. I get it. I only get anxious when I envisage me still struggling to get to a top 6 uni if I get A*A*A (what I believe deep down I can peak at). I'm doing this for myself. I'm doing this for my middle-class house and great, noveau riche stupid investment of an expensive car

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think those people will be disappointed if they are expecting to be earning that straight away, or even by the age of 35. No matter what degree you do you almost always have to start at the bottom or wherever you go.

I wouldn't get too hung up on your grades tbh. Yes they are important, but most careers where you are incredibly high earning rely on so many other things than grades. For example, connections (yes you can make these at good unis, but it also helps to develop your social skills), personality and attitude, ability to learn quickly, looking in the right places for lesser known positions which have less competition etc.
Medicine - hope to become a GP - so around 70/80k.

Then all the medical reports you can do for law firms etc to take it to about 160k overall
Reply 336
I just want to be credible, free (free meaning enough disposable income and money to save £2k a month), and liked, and I feel money will very much push me up the social ladder and change my life, experiences and satisfaction levels. What's metal about me being overly (and overtly, ik) concerned about earning, alright, £65k+ when I'm older. "This" concerned? Alright, I'm just freaking out over how badly my unguided self (possibly genetics) has held me back. I'm also amazed by how much wealth there actually is, yet how little trickes down to damn salary slaves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I say, you need to start a business, not be an employee.

Yet you seem to be looking at 'earnings' and 'jobs'. If you become an employee you'll be a wage slave, and funnily enough, the wage bill is usually much less than the earnings of the owner. Saving £2k/month doesn't make you free, you'd still be a slave until you have enough passive income to live - saving £2k/month that'd take about 40 years.

£65k+ is a little more credible, but actually you were saying £80k+.

Do you feel happy? I doubt it fronm what you write. Your 'freeking out' is irrational, go to a doctor.
Original post by ruthlessv
Medicine - hope to become a GP - so around 70/80k.

Then all the medical reports you can do for law firms etc to take it to about 160k overall

This for example. Seems so typical, the way you put it. So why not I? Why can't I go down this route? Typical, middle-class path... I could always redo everything and just try and get into medical school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think those people will be disappointed if they are expecting to be earning that straight away, or even by the age of 35. No matter what degree you do you almost always have to start at the bottom or wherever you go.

I wouldn't get too hung up on your grades tbh. Yes they are important, but most careers where you are incredibly high earning rely on so many other things than grades. For example, connections (yes you can make these at good unis, but it also helps to develop your social skills), personality and attitude, ability to learn quickly, looking in the right places for lesser known positions which have less competition etc.

It's probably cos they themselves are pretty damn well connected if they really do have a train of thought that goes towards their kind of expectations. Lol, besides, partner wise, I'm kind of unaware... Do you think gender inequality is great to the point that it's very hard to find a partner earning about £45k+? A household income of £75k after tax wouldn't be too shabby.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 339

That original post of mine, which was trying to express how I know many people of near enough ambitions, tried to get at this. Some have been more 'star' quality than me, and that explains that partly, but what else can I say... My last chance to turn things round this year is with my retakes and A2s. I get it. I only get anxious when I envisage me still struggling to get to a top 6 uni if I get A*A*A (what I believe deep down I can peak at). I'm doing this for myself. I'm doing this for my middle-class house and great, noveau riche stupid investment of an expensive car. Gosh, do you learn about how to literally start a business with an MBA? My life's me fighting and defying whatever natural, genetic disposition I may have intelligence-wise. That's why I may seem so... Fixated. Inflexible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either their parents/relations will gift them a job, or they will be high fliers at Oxbridge or they are clueless.

Do you have examples of people who have done it? Actual individuals you know, not generalities.

Quick Reply

Latest