The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peggles_*
Pride.

I have no doubt in my mind, if we didn't have Ozil, we'd have Cesc. But Arsene wasn't prepared to get Cesc, because ultimately it would look as though signing Ozil was a mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate to say it but that makes a lot of sense. AW needs to stop being ruled by his emotions at times. Feels undue loyalty to rubbish players who have long past it, and lets pride get in the way of doing whats best for the club. As much as I dislike Real Madrid, one has to admire the way they ruthlessly get rid of good players and replace them with great players. Cesc is better than Carzola, there's no doubt about it. You as a manager find a way.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Don't give me that crap!
It hurts man, it's easy when you're team is making all the right signings and all, favourites to win the league. It's all rainbows and sunshine in chelsealand. We're just here taking one step forward and two steps back. Same nonsense every year. But I'll take my own advice and wait then see.

Rant over :smile:

Chelsea are not favourites to win the league, there are clear faults in our squad. I'm backing Liverpool if they get a top striker tbh. Chelsea will probz win CL though. Real and Barca are a bit inbalanced and top heavy, although we'd get thrashed by Real so hoping someone else does the job for us. Bayern are the main competitors for the CL. See Chelsea Bayern final.
Don't give me that crap!
It hurts man, it's easy when you're team is making all the right signings and all, favourites to win the league. It's all rainbows and sunshine in chelsealand. We're just here taking one step forward and two steps back. Same nonsense every year. But I'll take my own advice and wait then see.

Rant over :smile:

Lol if Arsene does somehow pull the rabbit out of the hat and get both a quality DM and ST, along with a good CB, I will hold my hands up and congratulate the man.

However, if we end up with Song on loan, Marica and Boyata, then I will be smug as **** because I knew all along this summer would ultimately flop.

Let's hope it is the former.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
****ty Puma kits? Letting stars join rival clubs? Small club behaviour. We are not really a great club anymore. We have become a cup team, like a Tottenham, only slightly better. Face it, we're deluding ourselves if we think otherwise. No point saving all that money up if we are not going to buy essential players. We're all getting taken for mugs.
Original post by AR_95
In fairness who wouldn't be in turmoil after losing 17-4 in the top 3 away games.

But you won FA cup and had a better season than Chelsea arguably.

Very simple, we need a ST and DM, and have needed so for about 2 years now! This team won't go any further if we stay as we are, 3rd at best. The goalposts have moved, CFC and MCFC have gotten even further away, and a ST and DM are required to really close that gap.

Any team with Old Man Mikel as a DM and that French Pony up front will not win the league.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably. But I think that the team focuses more on player improvement. I believe you'll have a good season. Another cup trophy and top 4 should do well for your confidence. I either see a runaway winner or a tight race with 4 teams in it.

You have enough firepower vs the small teams and withstanding injuries should do better vs the top 4. You didn't lose to any of the top 4 at home, while City and Liverpool did.
Original post by jam278
But you won FA cup and had a better season than Chelsea arguably.

Probably. But I think that the team focuses more on player improvement. I believe you'll have a good season. Another cup trophy and top 4 should do well for your confidence. I either see a runaway winner or a tight race with 4 teams in it.

You have enough firepower vs the small teams and withstanding injuries should do better vs the top 4. You didn't lose to any of the top 4 at home, while City and Liverpool did.

We're not behaving like a big club, that is what pisses people off.
Reply 4526
Original post by Tom_Ford

People expect us to behave like City/Chelsea
panic... panic everywhere..

Chill.

So far there is little reason to panic, and this remains true up until the end of deadline day (and even then, I agree with jam, its a side-ways window, rather then any regression.. which whilst not great, is atleast not awful like many of the past years have been..)

I dont think wenger is a liar, and when he said the end of august would be a busy time for signings I believe him. And I can completly buy that any big deals would depend on CL qualification, as that makes a lot of sense..

For me:

CB - guarenteed.. dont thing wenger for a second would leave arsenal with this few options..
DM - I still think this is probably going to happen.. I dont think its likely to be the star signing we all want, but I think atleast some cover in this position will be aquired.
Striker - Still has a chance for me.. These rumours about arsenal lining up a big signing have been buzzing for a while now, with some saying it depends on CL, ofcourse they are all just rumours, but they have been hanging around, and after last season I could fully see arsene going in big for someone at the very end of the season. I dont think this will be midfielder, as there are not many who fit the bill as a huge signing, so for me it would have to be a striker (of which a few seem possible.. if gossip is to be believed Reus turned down united.. Falcao may be up for a loan.. Cavani may be avaliable if PSG want to sign someone else.. etc.) Dont get me wrong, I dont think any of these are likely to happen, but they are certianly not impossible.. and well.....

... This time last season Ozil was impossible.

So chill the **** out.

As long as the window is still open, its not a disaster, and cant be written off..

Jeeze its like being on the ****ing alevel results thread with the amount of panicing here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
People expect us to behave like City/Chelsea

No, people expect us to actually address the glaring issues in the team.

Maybe if we did act like them we'd have our **** together, Mou knew they need a ST, creative midfielder and LB and he got it done.

Meanwhile, it is not even the 2nd week of the season and we already have an injury crisis! Mr Forsythe needs to have them healing hands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
Chelsea are not favourites to win the league, there are clear faults in our squad. I'm backing Liverpool if they get a top striker tbh. Chelsea will probz win CL though. Real and Barca are a bit inbalanced and top heavy, although we'd get thrashed by Real so hoping someone else does the job for us. Bayern are the main competitors for the CL. See Chelsea Bayern final.

Are you being serious Jam? The league more likely than CL imo.
But I think you're analysis of being thrashed by RM is a little off. I think you guys would do great against them, if u were to be beaten it will be by the mere one or two goal margin.

I guess so. I don't disagree with that. But there is still time in the window and unlike United, you can afford to buy A list signings and they'd want to come to you than overpay for B/C list signings.

It's not all doom and gloom. Personally your team is no worse than United's teams from 09-2013. So in reality you should just look at focusing how to win games and instill a winning mentality and a philosophy that means you are a feared team.

If you want a better example of this. Liverpool went in a title race with Gerrard, Henderson and Allen in midfield.

When you add that winning mentality and then players are of top quality, you get the invincibles, Chelsea 04-06, Real Madrid, Barcelona who dominate leagues. But you can win a title with your current squad.
SSN confirmed that Wenger has said he's in the market for a holding midfielder. (Srs)

Phew! It's ok guys. Looks like we overreacted. We're winning the league!
(Not srs)
But I think you're analysis of being thrashed by RM is a little off. I think you guys would do great against them, if u were to be beaten it will be by the mere one or two goal margin.

Hell no. Chelsea have won 1 league title in 8 years. That is a shocking record and I don't think it'll change this season. We're probably going to come 3rd personally and also Jose Mourinho is missing the CL in his Chelsea cabinet so will want to focus on this.

In contrast to our league drought we have won 2 european trophies in the past 3 years and are the hardest team to score against in the competition along with Atlético. Dortmund have the style of play argument that means in one off matches you can get squeezed though but it's hard to maintain that level of performance with league performances, meaning they only do well in one of the two competitions.
(edited 9 years ago)
SSN confirmed that Wenger has said he's in the market for a holding midfielder. (Srs)

Phew! It's ok guys. Looks like we overreacted. We're winning the league!
(Not srs)

Sky are suggesting it may be Rabiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guillem Balagué on Twitter:

"Khedira: Mou reluctant 2 enter an auction 'cause he thinks player has a personal deal with Arsenal. His agent denies it. RM want him to go"

Independent reporting that we are willing to sell Podolski to Galatatasaray.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4535
****ty Puma kits? Letting stars join rival clubs? Small club behaviour. We are not really a great club anymore. We have become a cup team, like a Tottenham, only slightly better. Face it, we're deluding ourselves if we think otherwise. No point saving all that money up if we are not going to buy essential players. We're all getting taken for mugs.

It's so obvious you're a troll/dupe
young french 19 year old Defensive midfielder?

Good long term solution, though would mean this year we will probably have to put up with arteta still being first choice.. (unless this lad is something special)
Sky are suggesting it may be Rabiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ffs man. I'm holding out for a Wenger madting like Shoo.

Original post by jam278
x

Alright jam, nuff love.

:tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4538

Nah I'm actually with Jam on this one. See Chelsea's big game records but then manage to bottle their home record against sunderland :lol:
the hysteria is real

Latest