The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wisefire
Wow that's what I aspire to myself. Exactly that basically. So what do you do/will you do? You think an economics degree at a top 8 place would set me up to get to near such a salary in my mid 30s? A*A*A is what I feel I could get if I max.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just focus on being happy. Find a job that you love to get up and do in the morning :cool:
Then it doesn't matter as much what you earn and you won't get so caught up on salary. Do you have any hobbies you enjoy? I got into a top 6 uni and then rejected it because I wouldn't have enjoyed it lol
Original post by Reue
By all means; come back in a few years and show us the P60 :smile:

Lol I will earn that much haha, maybe even more. The thing is ill work for it, make sure I get through med school and then either work for my uncle or do my own thing in pharmaceuticals. Either way I'll make sure I'm on £100k at 32. The only way that isn't gonna happen is if I drop out of medical school. I'll make sure I get through it though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 382
Original post by bad8oy
Either way I'll make sure I'm on £100k at 32.

And if you don't?
Damn my mistakes. **** me and my ****ty limitations. I'm a genetic ****pile. Genetics determine so much... Eh, what a stupid mistake that actually was. Would it help if I said I haven't slept in 21 hours? :tongue: Wow man, it's exactly these kind of things I do... Just generally, everything that I do wrong, that will affect me in the future, that makes me miserable. I just can't stop making mistakes. Sorry. I bow down to you, superior one. To hell with this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well :erm:

If it makes you feel any better my boyfriend thought that buying a house 'cash' meant you turn up with a briefcase full of money like a gangster. And he's doing a Physics PhD.

Don't worry about it, you'll be fine.
Original post by Reue
And if you don't?

He'll kill himself. : - P
Reply 385
Original post by bad8oy
Lol you say most people live average live with average salaries, the reason they do is because they settle for average. Someone's not gonna come and just give you a ****ing 80k a year job you gotta work for it. Most people don't understand that and settle for mediocrity and that's why they live average lives lol. Id be ashamed of myself if I end up living an "average" life, especially with the opportunities that have been provided to me.

If that person wants to earn 80k by the time he/she is 35 then most probably will if they work there ass off for it, rather then sitting on **** like Facebook and twitter for hours.

Your post is laughable and shows why people like you are "average". Because your content with being average and not the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But, thats exactly what they are doing? So I don't see how your point is valid in this case.
Reply 386
Original post by PhilosophicalHat
He'll kill himself. : - P

Was thinking that :biggrin:
Scientist,

Starting Salary £20-25k ish is what i expect.

Rising to 30s when i have more experience.
Original post by Reue
And if you don't?

I will though..if I don't I'd be pretty upset with myself and kinda embarrassed. I'd pick myself up and work harder and deffo be earning it 3 years later.

I'm not saying £40k is bad. I feel it's embarrassing if I earn that little with the opportunities I have been provided with.
People that think £40k is sufficient are deluded. What is it like approximate £2500 per month after tax.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's nothing I like at all in life. I'm not even going there. Money and work and improving the EXTENSIVENESS of my experiences are the only things I care about. FFS, NO. I want my dream car in my one, fleeting life, at the very least. What have I done so far... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww :frown: You sound really stressed. Have you thought of going to talk about it with the doctor? I did and they gave me help and now I'm proper chilled haha :rolleyes:
I would focus on being happy in the now- maybe try mindfulness and meditation :smile: Otherwise there is a risk that whatever you acheive you might stay stressed. If you don't like anything at all maybe you have mild depression? This is just a suggestion- it could very well be untrue! Maybe try out different hobbies? You might find something you love. Anyway best of luck with things. Remember you aren't defined by what you earn or acheive- You are defined by who you are as a person. And I'm sure that you are unique and have a lot to offer
Original post by Reue
Was thinking that :biggrin:

How about it.; what kind of salary range would satisfy you?

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Me! There's certain people in this thread I want to punch

This is a very snobbish country.

Believe me, I know the sort, and also that the UK isn't the only place like it :colone:

I turned down some good jobs after leaving uni (the only one for which I got the exact figure was ~45k starting iirc) to take something that I actually liked, that paid not even half as much. Then eventually I quit that to work half-time and half volunteer stuff. Most of my colleagues don't understand this and see it as "crasching and burning". But if you make decisions based on what other people think... it's just a lack of free will, really. Those people aren't going to change or go away, so it's up to you to either ignore them or kill them one by one.

Which is what I would like to do sometimes.
Original post by Quady
But, thats exactly what they are doing? So I don't see how your point is valid in this case.

They sound thirsty for it though. Either way my point is valid. People don't earn that much or expect to because they waste there time messing about rather then being productive. People revolve their life around Justin Bieber and one direction, they put these celebrities they don't even know before themselves haha. That's why people earn so little. No ambition, no plan. That's the point I'm trying to make. If you want something, be productive with your time, you can make it happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 393
Original post by bad8oy
I will though..

Statistically: You wont :smile:
Reply 394
How about it.; what kind of salary range would satisfy you?

I've lived comfortably in a shared house on 15k before. In order to have a mortgaged house with a partner; probably about £25k.

With the tax and benefits system in this country, someone earning £35k doesnt take home a huge amount more each month than someone on £25k.
Original post by Reue
I've lived comfortably in a shared house on 15k before. In order to have a mortgaged house with a partner; probably about £25k.

With the tax and benefits system in this country, someone earning £35k doesnt take home a huge amount more each month than someone on £25k.

Hm, yeah I kind of figured that too. Although if you could pick you own salary - realistically- what would you choose? Purportedly above 75k a year money no longer contributes to your happiness or well being unequivocally. Would you agree or disagree? Of course this is a little subjective.
Original post by Reue
Statistically: You wont :smile:

In reality I will though...everyone's situation and everyone's work ethic is different. You can't apply statistics to people. That's why your average lol. I can't get my head around how much you guys lack ambition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 397
Hm, yeah I kind of figured that too. Although if you could pick you own salary - realistically- what would you choose? Purportedly above 75k a year money no longer contributes to your happiness or well being unequivocally. Would you agree or disagree? Of course this is a little subjective.

It depends on whether there was a correlation between salary and work.

If I was told that for my current job I could pick any salary I desired, I'd pick the highesnt amount I thought available without bankrupting the company.
Reply 398
Original post by bad8oy
In reality I will though

but you don't seem to be very much in reality.
Original post by Reue
It depends on whether there was a correlation between salary and work.

If I was told that for my current job I could pick any salary I desired, I'd pick the highesnt amount I thought available without bankrupting the company.

Hehe, I like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending