The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Superunknown17
Pleased with a Wrexham win at home against Nuneaton. Though I thought we played a bit better on Tuesday when we lost 3-0 to Gateshead but I'll take the 3 points all the same.

Any other Conference Premier fans here?

Another Wrexham fan? :^_^:

Disappointed with the Gateshead game as we put in a good performance and really didn't deserve to lose 3-0. Sleepy defending for the first and third goal though. Glad we could bounce back with the win vs Nuneaton. Agree with you that we played better on the Tuesday night than yesterday but happy we managed to hold on and get the three points.

Last season was terribly disappointing and the team from last season needed a good shake up so it's good to see Kevin Wilkin come along and do just that. Both York and Moult have looked good - I feel York with the better game vs Gateshead and Moult with the better performance yesterday. It's nice to have a striker in Moult who is capable of getting into the double figures, something we have struggled with over the past couple of seasons with our forwards.

Also, the pitch at the Racecourse is looking decent. It needed the work spent on it with getting it relayed and with the sprinklers and what have you, so it has been nice to see a summer of improvements all around the club.
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Another Wrexham fan? :^_^:

Disappointed with the Gateshead game as we put in a good performance and really didn't deserve to lose 3-0. Sleepy defending for the first and third goal though. Glad we could bounce back with the win vs Nuneaton. Agree with you that we played better on the Tuesday night than yesterday but happy we managed to hold on and get the three points.

Last season was terribly disappointing and the team from last season needed a good shake up so it's good to see Kevin Wilkin come along and do just that. Both York and Moult have looked good - I feel York with the better game vs Gateshead and Moult with the better performance yesterday. It's nice to have a striker in Moult who is capable of getting into the double figures, something we have struggled with over the past couple of seasons with our forwards.

Also, the pitch at the Racecourse is looking decent. It needed the work spent on it with getting it relayed and with the sprinklers and what have you, so it has been nice to see a summer of improvements all around the club.

Yeah! Didn't expect to find another Wrexhamite on these forums! :tongue:

Yeah we had some strong spells against Gateshead, especially in the first 15 of the second half. Just a shame about the goals you mentioned, could have been stopped. The scoreline was flattering but there were some positives.

Harris and Carrington have looked poor the last two games and seem to picking up where they left off last season but I agree Moult and York have been excellent signings. I think Jennings could be if he improved his match fitness a bit but he looks lost on the wing.

What do you think of the home and away strips? I've heard mixed opinions about them haha.
Original post by Superunknown17
Yeah! Didn't expect to find another Wrexhamite on these forums! :tongue:

Yeah we had some strong spells against Gateshead, especially in the first 15 of the second half. Just a shame about the goals you mentioned, could have been stopped. The scoreline was flattering but there were some positives.

Harris and Carrington have looked poor the last two games and seem to picking up where they left off last season but I agree Moult and York have been excellent signings. I think Jennings could be if he improved his match fitness a bit but he looks lost on the wing.

What do you think of the home and away strips? I've heard mixed opinions about them haha.

Haha, there is someone else with the username "wrexhamfc" so we're more popular than you think :wink:. I've never really had a proper conversation with them though so it is nice to see another Wrexham fan around! Do you go to many matches?

It was pretty flattering for Gateshead but they had their chances and took them, we too had our chances and completely fluffed them. I was not impressed with Jay Harris and all those long range shots. Once in a blue moon he will score a great long range goal so having four or so long range efforts just added to the frustration. I’m with you that he’s been off the pace in these first three games as he wasn’t great vs Dartford either.

Ha, I did want to mention that about Jennings but then I didn't want to say anything either as we’re only three games so I wanted to give him a bit of a chance to settle and gain his fitness. He looked absolutely shattered about ten minutes into the second half vs Gateshead so I was pretty surprised it took Kevin Wilkin until the 80th min to bring Bishop on for him. Bish looked so much more up for it in those last 10 minutes than he did during the whole of last season!

What do you make of Bachmann? He wasn’t too bad vs Dartford and he couldn’t really be blamed for the goal as it’s very questionable if that went in but I thought he was pretty slow to react and get down with the goals vs Gateshead. Then Coughlin came in vs Nuneaton and kept a clean sheet and just did what he had to do, I couldn’t fault him. I’ve never been Coughlins biggest fan but I would keep him as number one for now, even once Bachmann is back from injury.

I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get all three points this weekend vs Alfreton who are yet to pick up a point in their first three games.

I hate green football kits so I’m just glad we have got rid of the awful green away kits! The black and white away kit is quite nice though. I like our home kit too but I think people are a bit iffy about them because they are so different to what we’re used to. With it being our 150th anniversary it just seems pretty fitting to change the home shirt to what it was back then so I personally like it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Fulham losing again, 1-0 to Wolves with half an hour gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Solid win boys, solid win!
Any Wycombe fans around? Got a season ticket (they're my 2nd team, but still) and went to my first game of the season last night. Owain Fon Williams had a brilliant game for Tranmere in goal as they won 2-0, but Wycombe were pretty poor really - didn't deserve anything
Original post by joe_guntrip
Any Wycombe fans around? Got a season ticket (they're my 2nd team, but still) and went to my first game of the season last night. Owain Fon Williams had a brilliant game for Tranmere in goal as they won 2-0, but Wycombe were pretty poor really - didn't deserve anything

Are Wycombe still fan owned?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Coventry back at the Ricoh!
Original post by Mackay

According to the Cov Telegraph, awaiting confirmation from the club and ACL. Somewhat hilariously this will require FL approval as you can't change grounds during a season!

Brilliant news if confirmed though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay

Excellent news, hopefully they can actually fill it this time.
First game back at the Ricoh will be against Gillingham. It's been confirmed.
Fantastic for Coventry, filling it or not, Coventry should play in Coventry.
Original post by sr90
Excellent news, hopefully they can actually fill it this time.

There has never been a team there worthy of drawing such crowds...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CraigWM
Fantastic for Coventry, filling it or not, Coventry should play in Coventry.

Agreed. We should never have had to fight so hard to make the parties see sense in the first place but it has at last happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Are Wycombe still fan owned?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, and that's why they have no money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Loat
Do you think the boycott will continue with Coventry back, or will people try to keep it up until SISU get the hint and **** off completely?

Not immediately. So many are so pleased that the team is back that crowds for the first few games will be substantial. As the novelty of playing in our own city wears off though it depends a lot on results. Mid-table osbcurity in the third division won't keep many happy!
Come on you Yellows!!!!
I'd be seriously worried if I were a Fulham fan right now. Not at the races at all today and now bottom.

"Sacked in the morning" got a good run-out! :tongue:
Top of the league :smile:
Second in the league four games in, with supposed disharmony in the dressing room. Haven't faced any of the top teams in the division(Bar 85 minutes of 11 V 10 against Norwich, which was only going to end one way) so that will truly test where we can finish this year. Content.

Quick Reply

Latest