The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wisefire
Your uncle? Middle classes and connections again. Another lucky and RIGHTFULLY confident soul. Have fun, good luck :smile: Flipping connections man... No. Respect you m the superior. Respect the winners. Never fight them... Wow at that last bit though. That's basically not far from what we/my parents get, and only about 10-25% of that is left on disposable income. **** man, I knew I was poor despite being in the ninth percentile of earners for household income. Eh it's evident in how little I do. Money man...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No...I could make that much without him.
Stop whining that people use connections go out and make your own connections that's what most my friends that want to go in to banking are doing. They're not complaining about it, they're going out to get it.
If you want it work for it and you'll get it. No ones gonna hand it to you on a plate. Your clearly in the mindset of people being handed the jobs. That's bull****. You want it put the work in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, **** off. I tried that. I played video games for years. I cycled around London. I walk and go about visiting London for free like a loner. I do nothing, and I'm an egotistical, Anarcho-Capitalist ****, who associates with 'bad' people, and holds views that would severely detriment/would not complement me in reality. I'm not mental, I'm sane, and I'm not going to a doctor (in case my supposed mental deficiencies are picked up by an employer/it harms my prospects). What is life if there is no change. And I need change. I haven't even gone anywhere yet. Literally, no family holiday in 5 years now. Never on a plane. Nothing to DO in my free time. And I'm not dull/just sitting here idly by either. I'm feeding myself an awareness of the world as I age and wither and waste yet more of my years, and all of my youth, in a ****ed up scenario I'm not expressing here. I can be so much more, is all I'll say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you tell people to **** off when they're trying to help you, you won't get very far at all. There are things you can do in your spare time that are more active and stimulating. You can join any sort of club or society. Sitting pondering your future isn't very healthy or fun if you do it all the time. Also people who have depression etc are not "mental". It's not some clear cut thing where you are either completly detatched from reality or completely mentally healthy. If you're this worked up, I would ask for help now before you get worse
Reply 402
Original post by Reue
Then yes, we are in the top bracket, and yes: I don't think we have enough disposable income to be able to afford what I would perceive the 'top 10% gross salary earning households' to possess.

Aren't you a massive saver? Or did that change when you got the house?
In my school they basically are, so sorry for that. Just my prevailing experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your in the same school as them though...you said your on a bursary. Take advantage of your opportunity and don't mess it up. You've had the same opportunity as everyone in that school. Your too worried, exactly how I used to be. Just work you're hardest and enjoy life. That in itself will guarantee you happiness :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 404
Original post by Quady
Aren't you a massive saver? Or did that change when you got the house?

I still put a large chunk into Pension AVCs and a regularly index fund investment, but the majority of disposable income goes towards mortgage overpayments to bring it from a 25year term to ~10years by current levels.
For me Qualifying as a Radiographer starting Salary is £21,500, this then ranges through promotions up until consultant level of around £65,000

I realistically think anything over the national average (£26,000 or around that figure) is fine and you can sustain a comfortable life
Reply 406
Original post by Dekota-XS
Nursing, £67,000 per annum.

Exactly what Nursing position are you considering for that amount?
I have. I've got one extremely wealthy guy who literally said his dad could help me get into banking, and he owns a Ferrari Enzo/he's very much up there...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Speak with his dad, arrange work experience with him if you can. Do productive things. Just knowing him will not secure you a job in IB lol. If thats the case stop worrying :tongue: just do your thing.
ANY DECENT JOB WITH DECENT PROSPECTS FOR PROMOTION WHERE I CAN CONTINUE TO DO TAEKWONDO, LEARN LANGUAGES AND PLAY GUITAR AND NOT SACRIFICE MY LIFESTYLE TO THE MACHINE I.E OVERTIME OCCASIONALLY, NO WORK ON WEEKEND.

IDEALLY PUBLIC SECTOR (NOT TEACHING) WHERE 20k+ SEEMS LIKELY. MAYBE GET ON A GRAD SCHEME (lol)

BOARD AT HOME (LIVE IN LONDON) TILL I HAVE ENOUGH FOR A DEPOSIT TO BUY A HOUSE JUST OUTSIDE LONDON

WHY IS THIS IN CAPS LOCK?? I know this is all highly unlikely, but shouting makes me hopeful :smile:
Environmental Science/Environmental Health/Safety earns between 22-24k.
If I get into an oil and gas company or energy that goes up to about 27-29k. I know BP grad scheme is 33k (doubt that will happen though).

And realistically the max I would earn after years of experience and promotions would be 40-45k. Oil and Gas industry of course will be more.
Original post by Reue
but you don't seem to be very much in reality.

Your view of reality for yourself is just very mediocre and thats why your average..
Reply 411
Original post by Reue
I still put a large chunk into Pension AVCs and a regularly index fund investment, but the majority of disposable income goes towards mortgage overpayments to bring it from a 25year term to ~10years by current levels.

As you know, thats why you don't feel it, you're depriving youself of spare cash by saving far more than is typical. You could be buying Gucci handbags instead each month.

Someone not in the upper decile doesn't have the luxury of AVCs and reducing their mortgage term by 70% and then contributing to an investment fund.

What you're doing is right IMHO, but it doesn't mean you're not rich.
Reply 412
Original post by Quady
What you're doing is right IMHO, but it doesn't mean you're not rich.

Believe me, even if I weren't to do all that we would still be far from rich :smile:
Reply 413
Original post by bad8oy
Your view of reality for yourself is just very mediocre and thats why your average..

I believe Reue earns massively more than you do, or indeed, will do for a good number of years.

Having high self confidence doesn't change the realities.
Reply 414
Original post by bad8oy

You're*

And yes, Very happy to be average :smile:
Reply 415
Original post by Reue
Believe me, even if I weren't to do all that we would still be far from rich :smile:

Statistically you are....

Feel free to correct me, but my guesses are you're making AVCs of £150/month after tax relief, mortgage over payments of £400/month, investments of £150/month?

£700/month gets a sod of a lot extra on top of your current standard of living.

Depends what you define as rich though, personally I'd say its the top 25%, others say its the top 1%. But I find it difficult to find another word decribing people with earnings better than 9 out of 10 of others.
Original post by Quady
I believe Reue earns massively more than you do, or indeed, will do for a good number of years.

Having high self confidence doesn't change the realities.

Also probably a lot older then me though...I also won't start earning money till I'm 25.

Realities are different for each person though. Everyone has a different reality. What's realistic for one person might not be for another.
Each individual can work harder for what they want and make things happen though. You're in control of your own future. If you end up average it's your own fault. That's what I'm trying to say. If your happy being average then by all means be average it doesn't bother me lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have. I've got one extremely wealthy guy who literally said his dad could help me get into banking, and he owns a Ferrari Enzo/he's very much up there...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you've got someone who can"help you get into banking", you've got more advantage in the field than the vast majority of the population so count yourself lucky
Reply 418
Original post by Quady

Feel free to correct me, but my guesses are you're making AVCs of £150/month after tax relief, mortgage over payments of £400/month, investments of £150/month?

You could pretty much double your numbers and be about right :smile:

Original post by Quady

Depends what you define as rich though, personally I'd say its the top 25%, others say its the top 1%. But I find it difficult to find another word decribing people with earnings better than 9 out of 10 of others.

The difference between the top 1% and the top 2-10% is huge, whereas the difference between the top 2-10% and the top 80% isnt all that much.

Remember my household is also (currently) childless, I ride a cheap motorbike which gets over 100miles to the gallon and our heating/electricity combined bill is around £30 a month. We live very cheaply. If we were to live averagely for those on our household income level; all the AVCs/Overpayments/Investments would drop dramatically.
Original post by bad8oy
Lol I will earn that much haha, maybe even more. The thing is ill work for it, make sure I get through med school and then either work for my uncle or do my own thing in pharmaceuticals. Either way I'll make sure I'm on £100k at 32. The only way that isn't gonna happen is if I drop out of medical school. I'll make sure I get through it though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending