The Student Room Group

A level Further Maths and Music

I did F. Maths and Music at AS Level and I am continuing them for A2. I was wondering what the course is like (we do edexcell) for the two subjects? Personally, I found them alright/easier than I expected at AS but they're obviously going to get much harder at A2 so I was wondering how much...? Thank you! :smile:
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
I did F. Maths and Music at AS Level and I am continuing them for A2. I was wondering what the course is like (we do edexcell) for the two subjects? Personally, I found them alright/easier than I expected at AS but they're obviously going to get much harder at A2 so I was wondering how much...? Thank you! :smile:

I've moved this to the Maths forum for you :biggrin:
Original post by She-Ra
I've moved this to the Maths forum for you :biggrin:

And copied it into music?

FM does get harder

Have you done As M and AS FM or have you done all of Maths?
Original post by TenOfThem
And copied it into music?

I've put it in creative arts.... we don't have a music study help forum.
Original post by She-Ra
I've put it in creative arts.... we don't have a music study help forum.

:biggrin:
keromedic
x

Can't remember if you did edexcel, but you may be able to give a better insight into this :smile:

I did AQA music so can't help you there but have informed someone about this thread :smile:.

As for Further Mathematics, I'd say that A2 requires more preparation. If you don't get the groundwork in, you'll probably do badly.
Reply 8

I did Edexcel Music for A2 :smile:

Performance: At least 12 minutes, pieces must be at least Grade 6 and similar to AS you get extra marks to make up for mistakes if you play a piece that is Grade 7 or Grade 8. Your programme (choice of pieces) is assessed too for an extra 10 marks, so it's a good idea to make sure it's contrasting in styles/periods and moods. Better to play an easier piece you can play perfectly than a harder piece you're still learning and likely to make mistakes on.

Composition: You must compose 2 pieces, each at least 3 minutes. One or both of your compositions can be replaced by a technical study, which is either completing a pop song, two part counterpoint, or harmonising a bach chorale. I did the exploiting instruments composition and the harmonising a bach chorale technical study, so if you have any questions specific to those you can inbox me/quote me.

Exam: Section A Q1 you compare and contrast two unheard pieces of music, Q2 you are given a skeleton score and you have to analyse certain harmonic and melodic features including an aural dictation (so you might want to work on your relative pitch). Sections B and C are easy, you're asked essay questions on the set works you've studied and the questions are largely predictable so it's very easy to prepare for.

If you're good at the performance it's nothing to worry about, and I found the A2 exam easier. The one tough bit was the composition but if you start early and work consistently through the year it's fine.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest