The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Reue
You could pretty much double your numbers and be about right :smile:

The difference between the top 1% and the top 2-10% is huge, whereas the difference between the top 2-10% and the top 80% isnt all that much.

Remember my household is also (currently) childless, I ride a cheap motorbike which gets over 100miles to the gallon and our heating/electricity combined bill is around £30 a month. We live very cheaply. If we were to live averagely for those on our household income level; all the AVCs/Overpayments/Investments would drop dramatically.

I was being caucious :P basically took my own figues and toned them down a bit (athough mine aren't as high as yours)

Yes, thats the point, you don't feel rich for your household nicome level as you're not living averagely, you're cash hoarding and living frugally, your standard of living is atypically low.
Honestly not bothered. Like probably about 17,000. I'm not a materialistic person though and don't want to live a life dominated by posessions and money.. Do my job, go home, chill beans, have fun..
Reply 422
Original post by Quady
Yes, thats the point, you don't feel rich for your household nicome level as you're not living averagely, you're cash hoarding and living frugally, your standard of living is atypically low.

Ah I see your point :smile:

I still don't think even the average spenders within my household income levels would be considered rich though. It is all perception, just amusing to read about those on here who would be unable to live on less than 100k :biggrin:
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
LOL

What's funny lol
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1408624499.167159.jpg

You can make £600 a day just doing circumcisions lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nursing £25k then after my 6 month prectorship done agency nursing which is £18-£30 per hour then maybe move on to health visiting
Original post by bad8oy
What's funny lol
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1408624499.167159.jpg

You can make £600 a day just doing circumcisions lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

im not laughing about the plausibility. im laughing because you believe that between now and 32 nothing will change in your circumstances that will prevent you from pursuing that goal. you gotta have a back up plan
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Cute how people are actually getting excited and look forward to making 20-30k, apparently not knowing that they'll lead a pretty miserable life with that, especially living in London.

It would be a pretty comfortable life if you hadn't need to pay tax, insurance, rent and bills :s-smilie:
im not laughing about the plausibility. im laughing because you believe that between now and 32 nothing will change in your circumstances that will prevent you from pursuing that goal. you gotta have a back up plan

I do have a back up plan...work in pharmaceuticals instead. The only thing that can change is GP salaries dropping, I fail med school, or I can't get a job as a doctor lol. 2 of those 3 things I have control over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some kind of assistant, 12K.
Original post by bad8oy
I do have a back up plan...work in pharmaceuticals instead. The only thing that can change is GP salaries dropping, I fail med school, or I can't get a job as a doctor lol. 2 of those 3 things I have control over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The NHS has no money, either the NHS will be privatised and you will have no control over your work or salaries will reduce and working hours will increase

The private sector is the only place where you can realistically make money, becoming a doctor is a stupid way to make 100k
Original post by alevelzzz
The NHS has no money, either the NHS will be privatised and you will have no control over your work or salaries will reduce and working hours will increase

The private sector is the only place where you can realistically make money, becoming a doctor is a stupid way to make 100k

Hi, I don't know the exact context of your post, but I'm only replying in rebuttal to what I've put in bold:

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/doctors/pay-for-doctors/

Look under pay for consultants. It goes up in increments (I believe this is over an 8 year period) from approx. 75 to 101K as per standard. This is without any clinical excellence awards or private/locum work.

Doctors aren't the most well paid people definitely, in-fact when you first graduate your salary is up to 22K+50% for Band C work (i.e. extra time), which is about 32K. Not that much compared to bankers!

Indeed I have a mate who's starting with Nomura (Japanese bank) for 65K (including bonuses) next year (he graduates in PPE).

BUT- being a doctor is definitely a fine way to make 100K, as all consultants inevitably do given the course of time (increments are automatic), it's just hard to become one in the first instance.

EDIT: This is the 6th year in a row where doctors' salaries have fallen. Doctors are over-worked and not paid enough to become millionaires (mostly). If you're thinking of getting into medicine in order to be rich, don't. There are rich medics (are consultants + private), but it's too much hassle if you have no interest/passion in what you're doing- the trek takes too many years.

If you want to make money, and only make money- go into finance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bad8oy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like determination but people on TSR seem to be oblivious to the future. what you think you have control of , may not be in your control in the future. maybe something, god forbid, tragic happens and suddenly you dont have the mental fortitude to cope with the demands of becoming doctor. or for whatever reason you mess up in your residency. or maybe cuts continue and the NHS will have to cut back on doctors they employ. or maybe Glaxoklinesmith or Astrazeneca are bought by Pfizer and suddenly there are redundancies. im not saying dont be determined, im saying be prepared for the unexpected, which generally means being way more flexible than you describe
Original post by All Taken
Hi, I don't know the exact context of your post, but I'm only replying in rebuttal to what I've put in bold:

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/doctors/pay-for-doctors/

Look under pay for consultants. It goes up in increments (I believe this is over an 8 year period) from approx. 75 to 101K as per standard. This is without any clinical excellence awards or private/locum work.

Doctors aren't the most well paid people definitely, in-fact when you first graduate your salary is up to 22K+50% for Band C work (i.e. extra time), which is about 32K. Not that much compared to bankers!

Indeed I have a mate who's starting with Nomura (Japanese bank) for 65K (including bonuses) next year (he graduates in PPE).

BUT- being a doctor is definitely a fine way to make 100K, as all consultants inevitably do given the course of time (increments are automatic), it's just hard to become one in the first instance.

EDIT: This is the 6th year in a row where doctors' salaries have fallen. Doctors are over-worked and not paid enough to become millionaires (mostly). If you're thinking of getting into medicine in order to be rich, don't. There are rich medics (are consultants + private), but it's too much hassle if you have no interest/passion in what you're doing- the trek takes too many years.

If you want to make money, and only make money- go into finance.

A lot of post ccts cannot find consultant jobs, and if you do get a consultant job youll be in your mid 30s after having gone through grueling training and work hours.

Every single doctor told me if i was interested in making money whilst having a similar job, dentistry is a much better choice
I like determination but people on TSR seem to be oblivious to the future. what you think you have control of , may not be in your control in the future. maybe something, god forbid, tragic happens and suddenly you dont have the mental fortitude to cope with the demands of becoming doctor. or for whatever reason you mess up in your residency. or maybe cuts continue and the NHS will have to cut back on doctors they employ. or maybe Glaxoklinesmith or Astrazeneca are bought by Pfizer and suddenly there are redundancies. im not saying dont be determined, im saying be prepared for the unexpected, which generally means being way more flexible than you describe

I agree with this, it's important to demonstrate a sense of foresight and prior planning with regard to any respect of your life. If you go about assuming the best consistently, when something negative and unexpected happens you'd be left high and dry.

Having said that you cannot be expected to plan for every possibly detrimental occurrence which may or may not occur in your life, because it takes too much time/effort than is reasonable (what if I die today? What if I get hit by a car next week? What if our National Healthcare System explodes and hospital beds aren't free for the public? Etc). I'm sure you agree.
A lot of post ccts cannot find consultant jobs, and if you do get a consultant job youll be in your mid 30s after having gone through grueling training and work hours.

Every single doctor told me if i was interested in making money whilst having a similar job, dentistry is a much better choice

Yup. All of that is true.

Dentists have much better hours, the job is far less difficult, you need to learn and do less stuff (not a 6 year degree), and you probably get paid more for your time when compared to medics (up to consultancy post). That is unless you're not a very good dentist.

Like I said its not the best paid job. My mate is on 65K and he'll be 22 next year :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Doctor salary stuff

Doctors can earn £100k, sure, I don't think anyone's disputing that. Some people though are finding it hard to credit bad8oy's belief that being a doctor will lead to earning £100k by 32 though.

8 years of salary increment as a consultant to hit that figure, 8 years minimum after medical school to become a consultant. Unless he graduated medical school at 16 he's going to be a bit past 32 if/when he reaches the 100k mark.
Yup. All of that is true.

Dentists have much better hours, the job is far less difficult, you need to learn less stuff (not a 6 year degree) and you probably get paid more for your time when compared to medics (up to consultancy post). That is unless you're not a very good dentist.

Like I said its not the best paid job. My mate is on 65K and he'll be 22 next year :rolleyes:

Dentistry and medicine are both 5 year degrees and require the same grades lol.
The job isn't always less difficult, infact, a 25 year old dentist has far more responsibility than a 25 year old doctor. Junior doctors have consultants controlling their work, dentists don't have this.
Dentists are sued 3x more than a doctor and dentists are self employed = no patients, no money.
Dentistry and medicine are both 5 year degrees and require the same grades lol.

True. So? I didn't claim you didn't require the same grades/studied for the same amount of time? I said dentists learn less stuff, although I should have been specific and said- medics learn about more biochemical and physiological systems than the human mouth, it's internal constructs, and the surgical and anaesthetic techniques which could be employed to it.

This is simply a statement of fact. It doesn't mean any more than the point I'm making.

EDIT: I only said 6 years because I myself am on a 6 year course, however I should have been sensitive to those medics on 5 year courses. I forget it can be done in 4 (with precedent degree on hand as a graduate course).

The job isn't always less difficult, infact, a 25 year old dentist has far more responsibility than a 25 year old doctor. Junior doctors have consultants controlling their work, dentists don't have this.

It is more difficult purely in the respect that you are worked longer and harder. Doesn't predicate that it is technically more challenging, although I could happily argue that it is.

Your point about responsibility is subjective, especially seeing as junior medics have killed human beings due to incompetence, an occurrence which I've not been made hugely aware of in dentistry (yes there's risk of infection, but death is rare).

Dentists are sued 3x more than a doctor and dentists are self employed = no patients, no money.

This is true.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Doctors can earn £100k, sure, I don't think anyone's disputing that. Some people though are finding it hard to credit bad8oy's belief that being a doctor will lead to earning £100k by 32 though.

8 years of salary increment as a consultant to hit that figure, 8 years minimum after medical school to become a consultant. Unless he graduated medical school at 16 he's going to be a bit past 32 if/when he reaches the 100k mark.

Agreed.

32 is the earliest you can even become a consultant (which is 75K basic salary), then it's eight years from THEN to have a basic salary of 100K. (So you'd be 40).

Of course if you do good private work, it is possible, but up to at least the age of, say 35(ish), this is quite ambitious.
True. So? I didn't claim you didn't require the same grades/studied for the same amount of time? I said dentists learn less stuff, although I should have been specific and said- medics learn about more biochemical and physiological systems than the human mouth, it's internal constructs, and the surgical and anaesthetic techniques which could be employed to it.

This is simply a statement of fact. It doesn't mean any more than the point I'm making.

EDIT: I only said 6 years because I myself am on a 6 year course, however I should have been sensitive to those medics on 5 year courses. I forget it can be done in 4 (with precedent degree on hand as a graduate course).

It is more difficult purely in the respect that you are worked longer and harder. Doesn't predicate that it is technically more challenging, although I could happily argue that it is.

Your point about responsibility is subjective, especially seeing as junior medics have killed human beings due to incompetence, an occurrence which I've not been made hugely aware of in dentistry (yes there's risk of infection, but death is rare).

This is true.

Dentists have a far greater knowledge of the head and neck than medics after university, also dentists have to learn surgical procedures and be able to perform them. The pre clinical years are very similar though...

You course is 6 years because of the intercalated BSC, vets and dentists can also do this but it is not compulsory.

OVERALL, I agree, after university being a doctor has much more difficulties than being a general dentist. However, in certain respects, dentistry is more difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending