The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm in Year 9, now going into Year 10, and my school have a system where we get to do 2 option subjects each year from Year 9 and beyond, with most of our core exams in Year 11.

I got a B in German, which I'm pleased with, but also a B in History, which I'm disappointed with.

I have the option to re-take History in Year 11, at which time I will be more focused into getting a good grade, rather than wasting away my useful time.

Would it be a good idea to re-take, or would it be best to do another option? I always planned to take History at sixth form, and it has became my favourite subject.
Original post by georgen13
I'm in Year 9, now going into Year 10, and my school have a system where we get to do 2 option subjects each year from Year 9 and beyond, with most of our core exams in Year 11.

I got a B in German, which I'm pleased with, but also a B in History, which I'm disappointed with.

I have the option to re-take History in Year 11, at which time I will be more focused into getting a good grade, rather than wasting away my useful time.

Would it be a good idea to re-take, or would it be best to do another option? I always planned to take History at sixth form, and it has became my favourite subject.

I'd probably redo it if wanting to take it further!
Reply 42
for my history grade do u think there is a good chance of me obtaining 4 UMS marks, after a remarking. or should i just not bother wasting my time and money
Original post by qwewq
for my history grade do u think there is a good chance of me obtaining 4 UMS marks, after a remarking. or should i just not bother wasting my time and money

I personally wouldn't bother.
Reply 44
Original post by qwewq

For subjects in which the marking is more subjective (like History), there is a better chance of marks increasing than for subjects where a strict markscheme is used. In that sense, there is a chance that your mark will increase. However, none of us can say for certain how good that chance is as none of us have seen your paper. :tongue:
I got 117 in religious studies and I believe to get a c you need 120 is it worth a remark ?? Pls help me !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I'd probably redo it if wanting to take it further!

I might.

Sadly I can't just re-do the coursework for it, which is what brought me down.
I am so pissed off about history aswell controlled assesment 45/50 A* international relations 47/90 D british depth study 36/60 C i was predicted an A*/A like 4 of my mates we all got C/D overall highest in the class was a B wtf?
Reply 48
Original post by UrbanMonkey
I got 117 in religious studies and I believe to get a c you need 120 is it worth a remark ?? Pls help me !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say you may as well go for it as you're fairly close to the next boundary. :smile:

Original post by supergeek2411
I am so pissed off about history aswell controlled assesment 45/50 A* international relations 47/90 D british depth study 36/60 C i was predicted an A*/A like 4 of my mates we all got C/D overall highest in the class was a B wtf?

Have you considered retaking a paper or getting one remarked? Your teacher may be able to help the most here. :smile:
Original post by RedStar98
I'm definitely getting something done about OCR history.
International relations paper- 81/90 A*
Controlled assessment- 48/50 A*

British Depth Study-22/60 F
just...no. I accept mistakes do happen, and that's one of them

I was predicted an A/A* , got A* in the controlled assesment , ended up with with a C overall [6 marks above a D], apparently i got a D in the germany paper wtf somehing is not right, are you getting a re-mark?
Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm definately wanting to get that re-marked
I got 179/200 UMS for English lit and for an A* I needed 180. Do you think I should remark? I got 80 on one paper which was full so obviously that can't be remarked, 56 on one which was just an A and 43 for the coursework.
hey can someone help me out with interpreting my english language aqa grade?
it says:
ENG02 eng/eng lang unit 2 spk & lis = 5
ENG1H eng/eng lang unit 1 tier H = 148 (a)
ENGL03 english language unit 3 = 113 (a*)
altogether english language = A (261 mark equivalent) (52 POINTS)

How far away was I from an overall grade of A* im so confused :s
can i get a remark?
thanks any replies welcome!!
Reply 53
Hi, :redface: I got an A in English literature (WJEC) today with 174 UMS, which is 6 UMS shy of the 180 needed for an A*. I'm considering getting both exams remarked I got 63/70, and 66/80 in them to try and squeeze 6 UMS. If my UMS changes to 176 lets say, do I get my money back? Are WJEC an exam board who often change their marks much? I know 6 UMS seems like a lot but I was just thinking it could be possible, as marking these exams is really quite subjective as the bulk of the marks are taken up by essays. Thanks :colondollar:
Reply 54
Original post by sarah_j_jane
hey can someone help me out with interpreting my english language aqa grade?
it says:
ENG02 eng/eng lang unit 2 spk & lis = 5
ENG1H eng/eng lang unit 1 tier H = 148 (a)
ENGL03 english language unit 3 = 113 (a*)
altogether english language = A (261 mark equivalent) (52 POINTS)

How far away was I from an overall grade of A* im so confused :s
can i get a remark?
thanks any replies welcome!!

I'm guessing it's all out of 300? If so, you need 9 more marks for an A*. :smile:

You can get a remark, yeah! I'd personally leave it though as 9 marks is quite a large amount and an A grade is still fantastic! :yep:

Original post by azo
Hi, :redface: I got an A in English literature (WJEC) today with 174 UMS, which is 6 UMS shy of the 180 needed for an A*. I'm considering getting both exams remarked I got 63/70, and 66/80 in them to try and squeeze 6 UMS. If my UMS changes to 176 lets say, do I get my money back? Are WJEC an exam board who often change their marks much? I know 6 UMS seems like a lot but I was just thinking it could be possible, as marking these exams is really quite subjective as the bulk of the marks are taken up by essays. Thanks :colondollar:

Your grade needs to change for you to get your money back. :smile: I can't speak for WJEC but you're right that it's more advisable to get subjective subjects remarked. :smile:

Original post by DustToDust
I got 179/200 UMS for English lit and for an A* I needed 180. Do you think I should remark? I got 80 on one paper which was full so obviously that can't be remarked, 56 on one which was just an A and 43 for the coursework.

I'd say that you may as well! :smile: You can't get the coursework remarked though (it's either the whole centre's or no one's, so best to speak to your teacher regarding this).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
I'd say that you may as well! :smile: You can't get the coursework remarked though (it's either the whole centre's or no one's, so best to speak to your teacher regarding this).

Thanks! do you know what the deadline is?
Reply 56
Thanks! do you know what the deadline is?

For requesting a remark? :smile:

It's the 20th September but your school may have its own earlier deadline, so best to check with them to make sure. :smile:
Original post by usycool1
For requesting a remark? :smile:

It's the 20th September but your school may have its own earlier deadline, so best to check with them to make sure. :smile:

I could call them today but a want to speak to my teacher about it, I see her on the 2nd. That should be okay right?
Reply 58
I could call them today but a want to speak to my teacher about it, I see her on the 2nd. That should be okay right?

It should be as it's before the official deadline. :smile:
is it worth getting things remarked if you're 3-4UMS off an A*? (they're for geography and chemistry by the way)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest