The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi can someone help me out, to do a retake in nov in Northern Ireland on the aqa board for mathematics is it capped to a grade D
Reply 61
Original post by tanyapotter
is it worth getting things remarked if you're 3-4UMS off an A*? (they're for geography and chemistry by the way)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't really recommend remarks for subjects in which a strict markscheme is followed - marks are very unlikely to change in those tbh. :smile: Either way, an A grade is awesome! :biggrin:
I need to stress this, if you're 1 mark off, it doesn't magically mean you're going to get the next grade.

The only time you should remark is when you think you performed better than you received the result, and that the difference is big enough to change your whole grade.

If you think you did 1/2 marks better, but need 3 marks for next grade, do not waste your money.
In art i was 6ums (2 in unit 1 and 4 in unit 2) marks off an A* is it worth remarking or not? I thought my work was nearer to a B so i am not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I got 9 A*s and an A today,and I am quite happy with that, but I would have liked 10 A*s :tongue: :smile: My A was in history and was only one UMS off an A*. I got 59/60 in one paper, 77/90 in the other and 43/50 in coursework. My whole school was moderated down for coursework, and I was expecting an A* in it but only received a low A, because we all went down a grade. I have had an A* in every mock I have done, so my teacher advised me to send my 77/90 paper for a remark, saying it is unlikely I will lose 19 UMS and go down to a B, and the most UMS he has seen lost in history is 7. I agreed for a remark and have signed the form but now I'm worrying. Was I silly to agree to a remark when I'm not sure I will go up?
Edit: Also OCR don't have a UMS converter, is there another way to work out the raw marks I need, or are these marks my raw marks?
(edited 9 years ago)
I got 16 UMS away from an A*
I know that that is a lot but I want an A* so bad!!!!

so the question is: for each mark on the paper / coursework, how many UMS points does that convert into?

just curiouse about how many marks I need to pick up
Please respond

I am fairly central in the A category so If I get it remarked and it goes down I am unlikely to fall to a B
Hiya,

In my religious studies gcse I got an very high A* in one of the units and a very very low B in the other, giving me an A overall.

In all of my mocks I got an A* in both, all of my friends got about the same in both units (and both A*s) but I have a 21% difference between the two!!

Do you reckon something has gone wrong with the marking? Should I request a copy of the script or a remark?

The only problem is, if my unit that I got a B in was remarked and dropped one or two marks, it'd be a C which might drop my overall grade for the subject to a B!

What should I do?

Thanks
Hi

I resat English language to try and get an A* and got an A again. I got 261 UMS, and 270 is the boundary. However, I got told that if I got 3 more raw marks on the exam (I got 151 UMS) I'd end up with an A*. Is this true, and is it work a remark? In my controlled assessment I got 110 UMS.
Reply 68
Original post by ryanroks1
Hi

I resat English language to try and get an A* and got an A again. I got 261 UMS, and 270 is the boundary. However, I got told that if I got 3 more raw marks on the exam (I got 151 UMS) I'd end up with an A*. Is this true, and is it work a remark? In my controlled assessment I got 110 UMS.

It could well be true but I'm not sure for certain. If you're with AQA or Edexcel, you could use their UMS converters online to determine this. :smile:

I'd say you may as well remark if you're that close to the next boundary. :smile:
Original post by guidetothegalaxy
Hiya,

In my religious studies gcse I got an very high A* in one of the units and a very very low B in the other, giving me an A overall.

In all of my mocks I got an A* in both, all of my friends got about the same in both units (and both A*s) but I have a 21% difference between the two!!

Do you reckon something has gone wrong with the marking? Should I request a copy of the script or a remark?

The only problem is, if my unit that I got a B in was remarked and dropped one or two marks, it'd be a C which might drop my overall grade for the subject to a B!

What should I do?

Thanks

I had 100% in all my mocks in RS and ended up with a B in the full course. I never remarked it, but shows how subjective it can be.
hello, if got my own remarking questions, i am temped to pay for remarking on both of my physics exam as i am one mark of an A*, my concern is that i may gain one mark in one exam but loose 2 in another. my main question is, if i loose a few marks in one exam, will that be my new mark, or does my best mark count ?
Just a random question

What does 8 Cs, 1 B, 1 pass and 1 merit in business sound like to you
I'm 3 marks off an A in my maths exam and my school has sent it off to be remarked, what are the chances of them finding 3 marks??
how often do papers that have been sent to be remarked actually go up a grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
So I managed to get 3A*s, 7As and 1B. I am very happy with this result and managed to get into the sixth form of my choice, however I am wondering if it worth getting biology remarked, I got 317 UMS and to get an A I need 320 UMS. Would this remark make much of a difference towards university's in the future or is it not worth the risk?
Reply 75
Original post by elliot785
hello, if got my own remarking questions, i am temped to pay for remarking on both of my physics exam as i am one mark of an A*, my concern is that i may gain one mark in one exam but loose 2 in another. my main question is, if i loose a few marks in one exam, will that be my new mark, or does my best mark count ?

I'm afraid that it will be the new one, even if it is lower than the original. :sadnod:
Original post by usycool1
I'm afraid that it will be the new one, even if it is lower than the original. :sadnod:

ahh, that is a real shame, i suppose there is no harm in trying .... thankyou for the quick reply !
Reply 77
Original post by ozzie2
So I managed to get 3A*s, 7As and 1B. I am very happy with this result and managed to get into the sixth form of my choice, however I am wondering if it worth getting biology remarked, I got 317 UMS and to get an A I need 320 UMS. Would this remark make much of a difference towards university's in the future or is it not worth the risk?

What do you plan on doing at uni? :smile:

Tbh, I'd just leave it...it's rare for marks to change in the sciences and a B grade is very good regardless. :smile:
I got 117 marks in religious studies exam and c grade is 120 is it worth a remark PLS HELP !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by UrbanMonkey
I got 117 marks in religious studies exam and c grade is 120 is it worth a remark PLS HELP !

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say you may as well get it remarked tbh. :smile:

Latest