The Student Room Group

I think Edexcel screwed up a lot

Scroll to see replies

I just sent off S1 for a remark, I was getting As in all mocks throughout the year but came out with a very low C in the exam even though I came out confident?

Does anyone know roughly how long the remarks take?(not priority)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 241
Original post by Student 1
Yes-my maths papers have both gone up and changed my grade :smile:

That's great, happy for you! Did they go up significantly?
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I just sent off S1 for a remark, I was getting As in all mocks throughout the year but came out with a very low C in the exam even though I came out confident?

Does anyone know roughly how long the remarks take?(not priority)

For Edexcel? 2-3 days.
Original post by Compost
For Edexcel? 2-3 days.

Thanks, actually school just called and my S1 went up 5 UMS :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 244
Original post by Student 1
Yes-my maths papers have both gone up and changed my grade :smile:

which ones? and by how much?

thankss
Hi guys, I'm having a bit of a dilemma.

I have absolutely no idea what to do with my French remark result and whether to appeal the decision or not. I have my place at university and I am not unhappy with my A grade as such, but an A grade is not what I worked for. I know I know, I'm one of those pathetic people, but I am secretly very disappointed in myself.

So here's the deal - I sent off for a remark late Thursday afternoon, and received my remark by Monday. This is £46 down the drain for someone to tick a few boxes- I am convinced they didn't even read my essays. I also have my script and I have been horrifically under marked in both of the essays and I literally have no idea what to do. Should I settle for this? I've emailed both of my French teachers. It does not make any sense as the content of my German essays was pretty much identical to that of my French, yet there were absolutely no problems with my German mark in that paper. The A overall in French is fine, it's just the B grade in this paper which is getting me down.

Please don't attack me, I'm just curious as to why this is the case. Thanks in advance for any help!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chloevictoria
Hi guys, I'm having a bit of a dilemma.

I have absolutely no idea what to do with my French remark result and whether to appeal the decision or not. I have my place at university and I am not unhappy with my A grade as such, but an A grade is not what I worked for. I know I know, I'm one of those pathetic people, but I am secretly very disappointed in myself.

So here's the deal - I sent off for a remark late Thursday afternoon, and received my remark by Monday. This is £46 down the drain for someone to tick a few boxes- I am convinced they didn't even read my essays. I also have my script and I have been horrifically under marked in both of the essays and I literally have no idea what to do. Should I settle for this? I've emailed both of my French teachers. It does not make any sense as the content of my German essays was pretty much identical to that of my French, yet there were absolutely no problems with my German mark in that paper. The A overall in French is fine, it's just the B grade in this paper which is getting me down.

Please don't attack me, I'm just curious as to why this is the case. Thanks in advance for any help!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I assume all annotations are done online and the remarking has been done by a senior examiner or an experienced examiner. I don't see how you could appeal their decision unless you have strong evidence that they have made a mistake, from what you mention it sounds more like speculation. Your teachers would give you better advice regarding the next step.
I agree that edexcel must have screwed up big time
I got full marks on unit 1 history for edexcel and 48 e , for unit 2. I have never got lower than an a before in my mocks and homeworks and wants to do law at oxford. This is just so unbelievable that everyone thought it was a joke.
For me they've messed up in a good and a bad way, and fortunately the bad one is made up for.

A remark of one of my papers has caused an increase of FIVE marks, and of all subjects, it is maths (C3). The first marker must be high or something......

On the plus, there's no way I got 70% in M1 when I missed a whole question and missed half of another 3 questions, and ultimately only got 1 question out of 7 completely right, so thank you Edexcel for the gift.
Reply 249
Original post by lecafe88
For me they've messed up in a good and a bad way, and fortunately the bad one is made up for.

A remark of one of my papers has caused an increase of FIVE marks, and of all subjects, it is maths (C3). The first marker must be high or something......

On the plus, there's no way I got 70% in M1 when I missed a whole question and missed half of another 3 questions, and ultimately only got 1 question out of 7 completely right, so thank you Edexcel for the gift.

Hi

I wanted C3 remarked as I felt mine was too low (73), was this 5 raw or ums, either way congrats!!

and did you get any more maths remarked?
Original post by d4isy
Hi

I wanted C3 remarked as I felt mine was too low (73), was this 5 raw or ums, either way congrats!!

and did you get any more maths remarked?

It was 5 ums (Oh my if it was 5 raw that could have meant like 8 ums lol). Thanks to results plus I knew they stripped me off 4 marks out of 5 in a show that question which was pretty daft of the examiner to do so when I presented an alternative valid method not included in the mark scheme. However I felt the marking was relatively loose for the rest (for the first marker) , and ultimately I lost 1 Mark somewhere else and gained the 4 for that particular question for the mark, so it is a 3 raw mark gain overall.

I suggest you pop into results plus tomorrow 9am to see where u lost the marks then decide to see if there is a huge chunk of marks lost somewhere that you shouldn't have.

Given your score though a remark could risk a lower grade so be careful. My ums went from 78-83 and since I was only 1 raw away from the A originally I went for the remark.

Given your score though a remark could risk a lower grade so be careful. My ums went from 78-83 and since I was only 1 raw away from the A originally I went for the remark.

The school told me that if the remark is lower, they keep the higher one of the two - I hope that is true??!!
Reply 252
It was 5 ums (Oh my if it was 5 raw that could have meant like 8 ums lol). Thanks to results plus I knew they stripped me off 4 marks out of 5 in a show that question which was pretty daft of the examiner to do so when I presented an alternative valid method not included in the mark scheme. However I felt the marking was relatively loose for the rest (for the first marker) , and ultimately I lost 1 Mark somewhere else and gained the 4 for that particular question for the mark, so it is a 3 raw mark gain overall.

I suggest you pop into results plus tomorrow 9am to see where u lost the marks then decide to see if there is a huge chunk of marks lost somewhere that you shouldn't have.

I need 8 UMS out of 5 papers.. possible? No idea :frown:
Original post by cora06140
The school told me that if the remark is lower, they keep the higher one of the two - I hope that is true??!!

It isn't true. If the remark is lower you keep that result. However you are most unlikely to drop enough marks to drop a grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 254
I'm hoping to get my coursework remarked, I'm 4 UMS away from the next grade...my teacher gave my coursework that grade but it was brought down...do I have any chance?
Original post by gdunne42
It isn't true. If the remark is lower you keep that result. However you are most unlikely to drop enough marks to drop a grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was over the phone and they thought I was talking about resits.... I shall go hang myself now I think, as I sent for remark a unit that was actually very good and it has now come back 2 UMS lower (1 raw mark). As you say, not enough to drop a grade, but I shudder to think about the other units still to come and the potential cumulative damage... :frown:
I got a predicted B in maths. Just got a C even though I have compared my answers and should have scored 100/200 at least without method marks.

Just sent it in for a remark :/
i want to send a remark on my english paper i am 4 marks less to get to A should i send it?
Original post by football1212
i want to send a remark on my english paper i am 4 marks less to get to A should i send it?

I got 5 more marks in maths so i can't see why it's impossible in English. Do note that I was pretty sure I was robbed of one question, and since I was only 2 off the A (in that paper) and I was potentially gaining 7, i wasn't exactly expecting an unsuccessful attempt. Best of luck!
Just got a remark for an Edexcel GCE RS module from 53/100 (D) to 90/100 (A), and overall from a C to an A. So happy!! So I think a remark is worth it if you think they might've undermarked you.

Quick Reply