The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Hi guys,
What calibre of Uni do you think these results will get me into? I wanted to go to LSE/UCL, but is that too far of a stretch now? How about Queen Mary?

All OCR
Maths B (218/300, C1 C2 S1 - cca)
Further Maths C (203/300, FP1 D1 D2 - bbd)
Economics A (168/200)
History A (161/200)

I'm going to be dropping Further, but would that put me at too much of a disadvantage?
Think I would be predicted A*AA upwards, especially after Cs in Core (don't know how I managed to mess those up) which I'm confident that I can retake to get high As.

With both my History and economics, I did very well in one module (high 90s) and just okay in the other. What would you think I should do in relation to the lower marked modules?

Also for GCSE, I got 4 A*s (Maths IGCSE, Stats, Physics, Religion), 4 As (Eng. Lit., Eng. Lang., German, Geography) & 2 Bs (Business, ICT). Not the greatest, but not terrible.

I'm going to be doing an Economics related EPQ next year, if that's of any use to you, but have no other economics related experience.

Sorry for my life story. Any help/advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by theteej
Hi guys,
What calibre of Uni do you think these results will get me into? I wanted to go to LSE/UCL, but is that too far of a stretch now? How about Queen Mary?

All OCR
Economics A (168/200)
History A (161/200)

I'm going to be dropping Further, but would that put me at too much of a disadvantage?
Think I would be predicted A*AA upwards, especially after Cs in Core (don't know how I managed to mess those up) which I'm confident that I can retake to get high As.

With both my History and economics, I did very well in one module (high 90s) and just okay in the other. What would you think I should do in relation to the lower marked modules?

I'm going to be doing an Economics related EPQ next year, if that's of any use to you, but have no other economics related experience.

Sorry for my life story. Any help/advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It seems unlikely that you'll get into LSE or UCL but QMUL seems at reach. Consider BA econ rather than BSc if you don't enjoy the maths. EPQ is fine
Original post by theteej
Hi guys,

All OCR
Economics A (168/200)
History A (161/200)

Also for GCSE, I got 4 A*s (Maths IGCSE, Stats, Physics, Religion), 4 As (Eng. Lit., Eng. Lang., German, Geography) & 2 Bs (Business, ICT). Not the greatest, but not terrible.

Have you thought about any unis outside London or is that just where you want to go?
I'm sorry to say but I think a B and a C in maths and further maths will make it difficult to get into ucl and lse :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 143
Original post by Mike_123
It seems unlikely that you'll get into LSE or UCL but QMUL seems at reach. Consider BA econ rather than BSc if you don't enjoy the maths. EPQ is fine

I actually enjoy maths. I hate that my Maths results seem so much worse at first glance than they are. Although Cs in Core don't look great at all. It's just that I know that I'm capable of much more than that. Hopefully they'll see 75 in FP1, and think I have some sort of mathematic ability.

On the QMUL website/prospectus, it says they want AAB. Is it in reality much closer to A*AA?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Have you thought about any unis outside London or is that just where you want to go?
I'm sorry to say but I think a B and a C in maths and further maths will make it difficult to get into ucl and lse :frown:

I've considered outside London, but I'd prefer to go there. But I'm open to ideas. Just thought since they are the more pressing issues, I'd ask about them.

No worries. I'd figured so anyway :smile:. I just feel a bit clueless of how Unis pick who they want and how difficult it is to get in. It's hard to fathom.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by theteej
I've considered outside London, but I'd prefer to go there. But I'm open to ideas. Just thought since they are the more pressing issues, I'd ask about them.

No worries. I'd figured so anyway :smile:. I just feel a bit clueless of how Unis pick who they want and how difficult it is to get in. It's hard to fathom.

Well personally I think you'll probably be able to go somewhere better if you apply to a few place outside of London
As long as you spread the entry requirements of where you want to apply so maybe 1 or 2 a*aa/aaa 2 aab and an abb uni just in case exams don't go to plan, so you could definitely still apply to qmul imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theteej
I actually enjoy maths. I hate that my Maths results seem so much worse at first glance than they are. Although Cs in Core don't look great at all. It's just that I know that I'm capable of much more than that. Hopefully they'll see 75 in FP1, and think I have some sort of mathematic ability.

On the QMUL website/prospectus, it says they want AAB. Is it in reality much closer to A*AA?

Your scores are only shown if you ask your referee to put them in your reference, just as a precaution.

AAB would be the grades they expect you to get but it can be higher or lower depending on the demand for the course. I would probably say that you would get an offer from there.
Reply 147
Well personally I think you'll probably be able to go somewhere better if you apply to a few place outside of London
As long as you spread the entry requirements of where you want to apply so maybe 1 or 2 a*aa/aaa 2 aab and an abb uni just in case exams don't go to plan, so you could definitely still apply to qmul imo

Yeah, that's what I think I'm going to do. Cheers :smile:

Your scores are only shown if you ask your referee to put them in your reference, just as a precaution.

AAB would be the grades they expect you to get but it can be higher or lower depending on the demand for the course. I would probably say that you would get an offer from there.

Would you recommend doing so?

Ok, thanks
Original post by theteej
Would you recommend doing so?

It's up to you. If you think that your maths grades don't reflect your proper ability then do it, but make sure that you put down all the module scores for all subjects, as it would show to tutors that you're intentionally hiding something.
Reply 149
It's up to you. If you think that your maths grades don't reflect your proper ability then do it, but make sure that you put down all the module scores for all subjects, as it would show to tutors that you're intentionally hiding something.

Okay, I'll think about it. Cheers for the help, man:biggrin:
Nope there aren't any admissions tests you need to do unless you apply to oxford where you'll have to do the tsa and some cambridge colleges require the tsa (although not many)
Seeing as you do maths and will presumably get at least a 3A prediction you can pretty much apply to any university for economics. Although the more mathematical courses (ucl/lse/cambridge/warwick) like students to have further maths to AS at least :smile: You're in a different situation to most having not studied economics at a level but that's fine for most (pretty sure cambridge requires geog if you haven't studied econ but don't quote me on that) so you'll have to tailor your ps to show you're knowledge of the subject and why you want to study it more so than others but I'm sure a teacher will be able to help with this

Just out of curiosity why didn't you do economics at AS? Also well done on your results!

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry about butting in, but isn't warwick's eco course much less mathematical than the other three you mentioned? UCL, LSE and cambridge all demand a* in maths as part of their entry requirements and state further maths as useful. On the other hand, warwick asks for a*aa with a A in a-level maths and states further maths will be treated as any other a2 subject. I could be completely wrong here, im just curious. :tongue:
Original post by AChhabs0701
sorry about butting in, but isn't warwick's eco course much less mathematical than the other three you mentioned? UCL, LSE and cambridge all demand a* in maths as part of their entry requirements and state further maths as useful. On the other hand, warwick asks for a*aa with a A in a-level maths and states further maths will be treated as any other a2 subject. I could be completely wrong here, im just curious. :tongue:

I was given the impression at the economics talks on warwicks open day that further maths is fairly preferable and the lecturer just kept going on about how important it was to be good at maths, but yeah the other courses are more mathematical but warwicks probably is more mathematical that a lot of others still if that makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AChhabs0701

Cambridge actually stipulate only A*AA in anything, but it's very often that they may ask for A* maths or even A* further maths if offered. I do think Warwick's economics course is mathematical and having a look at the module list I gather that the course is very flexible and you can pick a lot of your modules. So it can be extremely mathematical or moderately mathematical. LSE's course is meant to be the most mathematical and I'm not sure about UCL.
Oh so it was exactly as I said then, yeah that's good plus I'm almost certain a girl in the year above me got an unconditional when she applied for econ and geog and she had a B in econ last year, which is obviously great because she didn't have to worry about her results too much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm yeah. I got a B in econ which I was gutted with as I wanted an A. I will be retaking it alongside my A2s.

I'm not too sure if Queen Mary's is within my reach as they say a typical offer is AAA and I'm only predicted A*AB.

Do you think I should go for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheCoolBK
Hmm yeah. I got a B in econ which I was gutted with as I wanted an A. I will be retaking it alongside my A2s.

I'm not too sure if Queen Mary's is within my reach as they say a typical offer is AAA and I'm only predicted A*AB.

Do you think I should go for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you really want to go there I'd say apply, you still have 4 other choices so if you didn't get in it wouldn't be the end of the world

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Username13
Is the Nottingham economics course a BA or BSc depending on which modules you select?
Also, entry requirements are A*AA - AAA, so on what basis do they give an offer of AAA instead of A*AA?

Would appreciate your help :smile:

Yeah Nottingham economics is BA/BSc depending on what modules you do, also with the entry requirements AAA offer is going to be largely affected by your personal statement, I remember on their open day they said people with A*s predictions didn't get an offer because their personal statement was lacking
is uni of southampton or uea better for economics in your opinion guys? what are your thoughts?
Original post by doublecc123
is uni of southampton or uea better for economics in your opinion guys? what are your thoughts?

Well I looked at some rankings and in the times and the guardian's ranking
uea came out much higher than Southampton, but in the complete university guide they were pretty much level pegging so idk what to think :redface:

If I was you I'd take a look at the module listings for each uni and see if there are any that you'd particularly want to do, you also need to think about the city/town? itself and decide whether you'd be happy living there for 3 years :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I looked at some rankings and in the times and the guardian's ranking
uea came out much higher than Southampton, but in the complete university guide they were pretty much level pegging so idk what to think :redface:

If I was you I'd take a look at the module listings for each uni and see if there are any that you'd particularly want to do, you also need to think about the city/town? itself and decide whether you'd be happy living there for 3 years :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for your help! i've been looking at the rankings too and they seemed pretty much the same :smile: i don't think location matters too much... i'm just hoping for the best really :biggrin: so scared for uni :eek:
Original post by doublecc123
thanks for your help! i've been looking at the rankings too and they seemed pretty much the same :smile: i don't think location matters too much... i'm just hoping for the best really :biggrin: so scared for uni :eek:

Yeah they're all fairly similar the rankings tbh

Where else are you applying? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest