The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alex Doran
Why does everyone seem to think Rodgers can get the best out of Balotelli? Rodgers has had 1 very good season but it was just that, he is still very much unproven and better managers than Rodgers have tried and failed to get the best out of him. Some have got him to have good spells but none have had him consistently performing (Mourinho, Mancini, Lippi, Prandelli and Allegri.) I am not saying they are all better than Rodgers but he certainly wouldn't be top of that list.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=315780.msg13146145#msg13146145

He digresses a little but essentially this is why, from a football/training point of view.

Mario has voiced his opinions on our fans before and without sounding like a prick, we do tend to idolise and love our players better than some other sets of fans.
Original post by Yesss I diddd
Claire Rourke says to watch out for the 9pm announcement on LFC TV

... I reckon he's playing Monday

debuts for Moreno, Markovic and Balotelli away to the league champions then

Think it's to do with someone doing the Ice Bucket challenge.

https://twitter.com/clairerourke/status/502468210504265728

That's the tweet by Claire

https://twitter.com/LFCTV/status/502490122966011905

And that's the tweet by LFCTV.
Original post by mr tim
Think it's to do with someone doing the Ice Bucket challenge.

https://twitter.com/clairerourke/status/502468210504265728

That's the tweet by Claire

https://twitter.com/LFCTV/status/502490122966011905

And that's the tweet by LFCTV.

aye but the original tweet was to do with balotelli
Original post by jam278
Shorts fired.

trousers fired
So how does he fit in? Surely not backup to Sturridge, so you're going back to the 2 up front? Or 4-3-3 with Sturridge and Sterling out wide.
Original post by manchesterunited15
So how does he fit in? Surely not backup to Sturridge, so you're going back to the 2 up front? Or 4-3-3 with Sturridge and Sterling out wide.

no reason why we couldn't do a diamond, but swap to 4-3-3 if only one of them is playing for whatever reason?
diamond, 4-2-2-2, lopsided 4-3-3, lopsided 4-2-3-1, genuine 4-3-3 all possible formations to play both of them
Reply 487

He'll play against the lesser teams until he proves he can be consistent and work hard (either in a diamond or as the main man if Sturridge is rested ahead of a CL game). He won't just come in a be an automatic starter, he has to earn it like anybody else, particularly given his record. It's not really a case of being back-up, it's about having different options and being able to keep everyone fit.
Reply 488
Obviously Mario is kind of a last resort considering BR ruled out signing him like a month ago, but he really could be a hit here. On other hand, he could be **** and be shipped off again in 6 months like Robbie Keane. One of those ones that could go either way and is a risk, which is probably why Rodgers wanted to go for other options first.

Same way Sturridge and Suarez worked.

4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-5-2, 4-2-2-2, 4-1-2-1-2.
Original post by cBay
Obviously Mario is kind of a last resort considering BR ruled out signing him like a month ago, but he really could be a hit here. On other hand, he could be **** and be shipped off again in 6 months like Robbie Keane. One of those ones that could go either way and is a risk, which is probably why Rodgers wanted to go for other options first.

either way you look at it he's still back up for sturridge.

worst case scenario is that sturridge gets injured and balotelli has a nightmare first season half
best case scenario is them both being on monstrous form and we show arsenal what real strikers can do.
Original post by Yesss I diddd
diamond, 4-2-2-2, lopsided 4-3-3, lopsided 4-2-3-1, genuine 4-3-3 all possible formations to play both of them

Surely 3-5-2 as well?

You have midfield depth and have improved on the fullbacks. Could be a way to initially integrate the two and as I've said before you have more than enough CBs with experience to play 3atb unlike other 3atb teams...

Eitherway still a very interesting proposition you have with those two playing together, with Suarez he was more adaptable to many positions. Balotelli and Sturridge are both versatile forwards so would be a great combo. Similar age, think if they hit it off together it could be the best ST partnership in the league, or at least best selection of strikers in the league. I envy your options as a Chelsea fan.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 492
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
comparing me to rodgers.
lol, nice burn...

There wasn't meant to be an indirect dig at you there but if you feel burnt maybe you should have a check up with your GP for Syphillis :lol:
Original post by AR_95
There wasn't meant to be an indirect dig at you there but if you feel burnt maybe you should have a check up with your GP for Syphillis :lol:

mate you're on fire today, jesus!
Reply 494
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
mate you're on fire today, jesus!

No I think you're the one burning not me
Original post by AR_95
No I think you're the one burning not me

this is boring

we should go laugh at thug's meltdown some more.
Original post by jam278
Surely 3-5-2 as well?

You have midfield depth and have improved on the fullbacks. Could be a way to initially integrate the two and as I've said before you have more than enough CBs with experience to play 3atb unlike other 3atb teams...

Eitherway still a very interesting proposition you have with those two playing together, with Suarez he was more adaptable to many positions. Balotelli and Sturridge are both versatile forwards so would be a great combo. Similar age, think if they hit it off together it could be the best ST partnership in the league, or at least best selection of strikers in the league. I envy your options as a Chelsea fan.

In a 3-5-2 only one of Coutinho, Markovic, Lallana and Sterling is going to play, maybe two if Raheem is played at RWB, so I don't think it's something that Rodgers is contemplating for the long term.
Original post by jam278
Surely 3-5-2 as well?

Personally I am not convinced by 3 at the back. Against the lesser teams it seems like an odd decision as it means you almost always have 3 players back and with Gerrard the way he is, he will probably be quite deep as well meaning there are not enough bodies up top. In a game like Chelsea last year where they had no intention of getting forward, you need 4 at the back with both fullbacks very advanced.
Also Liverpool have a lot of midfielders and attackers that are too good to drop at the expense of a centre back. 3 at the back would only work if you dropped a full back and replaced him with Sterling or Henderson as the the wingback on one side. This reduced the attacking threat of that player and means they are weaker defensively. Assuming there is 3 at the back and the 2 full backs (Moreno and Manquillo) as wing backs that leaves just 5 spaces for any of Gerrard, Henderson, Sturridge, Sterling, Balotelli, Coutinho, Markovic and then subs of Lambert, Can and Allen. It is hard to justify having a 3rd centre back in Skrtel or Sakho at the expense of such quality subs (2 of the original 7.)
For me, Liverpool best suit a 4-4-2 diamond when both strikers are fully fit and a 4-3-3 when one of them is injured. Also Sturridge could move out wide in a 4-3-3 for the tougher away games where Rodgers wants to pack the midfield.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Alex Doran
Personally I am not convinced by 3 at the back. Against the lesser teams it seems like an odd decision as it means you almost always have 3 players back and with Gerrard the way he is, he will probably be quite deep as well meaning there are not enough bodies up top. In a game like Chelsea last year where they had no intention of getting forward, you need 4 at the back with both fullbacks very advanced.
Also Liverpool have a lot of midfielders and attackers that are too good to drop at the expense of a centre back. 3 at the back would only work if you dropped a full back and replaced him with Sterling or Henderson as the the wingback on one side. This reduced the attacking threat of that player and means they are weaker defensively. Assuming there is 3 at the back and the 2 full backs (Moreno and Manquillo) as wing backs that leaves just 5 spaces for any of Gerrard, Henderson, Sturridge, Sterling, Balotelli, Coutinho, Markovic and then subs of Lambert, Can and Allen. It is hard to justify having a 3rd centre back in Skrtel or Sakho at the expense of such quality subs (2 of the original 7.)
For me, Liverpool best suit a 4-4-2 diamond when both strikers are fully fit and a 4-3-3 when one of them is injured. Also Sturridge could move out wide in a 4-3-3 for the tougher away games where Rodgers wants to pack the midfield.

I was also considering using Gerrard as a CB. He pretty much plays as one when the team are in possession nowadays anyway. He can also get forward and be involved with the play, which means one man to pick up that they were not initially meant to pick up. It ends up being a bit more attacking as the wing backs are very high up but with the squad you have it would be great against fodder opposition.

Then if you use 3 natural CBs it can serve well for rotational purposes.
Original post by jam278
I was also considering using Gerrard as a CB. He pretty much plays as one when the team are in possession nowadays anyway. He can also get forward and be involved with the play, which means one man to pick up that they were not initially meant to pick up. It ends up being a bit more attacking as the wing backs are very high up but with the squad you have it would be great against fodder opposition.

Then if you use 3 natural CBs it can serve well for rotational purposes.

I think he would be a good centre back, he has played there for the off game in the past but never on a consistent basis. He has all of the skills required and would be the perfect fit as the middle centre back in a back 3. I just can't see it happening much this season.

Quick Reply

Latest