The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Gorwell
I was given a B in RS (Edexcel) I received a high 'A' for one unit and B for another, is it worth getting it remarked? I was predicted an A* so I'm a bit peeved.

I wouldn't - I did the same exam, and due to the exam being so easy and people picking up marks, the grade boundaries are ridiculously high (like 78/84 being A* and the last 4 marks are for SPAG) Look up the grade boundaries and if you're a couple of ums/marks off the A, you might be able to pick those up, but anything more than a couple won't give you the grade you want.
Posted from TSR Mobile can anyone tell me why the ocr history gcse was so messed up? I was predicted an A , i have an A* in my controlled assessment , but only a C in the source paper, and a D in the germany/medicine paper, i ended up with a C overall, (6 marks above a D) , in the past i have always got B's in my mock exams with no revision whatsoever, i thought i smashed the exams and now i end up not even having an A never mind a B? I have noticed that quite a few peoplw are experiencing the same thing as me?
Hi,
My son has just got his WJEC English Language and English Lit results back and is (I think) 1 mark off an A* in both of them. He got 179 overall in both including 74 in Eng Lit Unit 2B 420204 and 51 in Eng Lang 494102 and 46 in English Lang 494202. Am I correct in my assumption of him needing 1 mark for each to go up to A* and is it likely that that could happen with a remark of the papers? Thanks for reading x
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Hi,
My son has just got his WJEC English Language and English Lit results back and is (I think) 1 mark off an A* in both of them. He got 179 overall in both including 74 in Eng Lit Unit 2B 420204 and 51 in Eng Lang 494102 and 46 in English Lang 494202. Am I correct in my assumption of him needing 1 mark for each to go up to A* and is it likely that that could happen with a remark of the papers? Thanks for reading x

I would say possible, though not necessarily likely.

74/80 is high, so it's probably an earlier module or coursework, which nothing can be done about. So do not remark lit.

English Language I'm unsure, because those both seem to be coursework modules.

I'd leave them, but if you're going to remark regardless of advice, I'd go for English Language.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I would say possible, though not necessarily likely.

74/80 is high, so it's probably an earlier module or coursework, which nothing can be done about. So do not remark lit.

English Language I'm unsure, because those both seem to be coursework modules.

I'd leave them, but if you're going to remark regardless of advice, I'd go for English Language.

I'm sure that the Lit module from last year let him down as he got 48 a* in this years controlled assessment, I hadn't realised that the module was marked out of 80. So, probably not worth it.

The Language I'm a bit confused by - they are papers, although I don't know what they're out of, the 51 was an a, the 46 was a b. Anyone know?
Thanks L' Evil Fish
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
I'm sure that the Lit module from last year let him down as he got 48 a* in this years controlled assessment, I hadn't realised that the module was marked out of 80. So, probably not worth it.

The Language I'm a bit confused by - they are papers, although I don't know what they're out of, the 51 was an a, the 46 was a b. Anyone know?

Probably out of 60 then.
Should I remark my AQA B Geography Paper 2, seeing as that gave me a C (95 UMS), whilst my controlled assessment got me an A*(92 UMS) and Paper 1 an A(128 UMS)? I was 5 UMS off an A in Geography, so is it worth it?
I was 1 UMS off in Chemistry to get an A i am doing it at A-level i just feel like i did much better than a B i don't know if i should get a remark?
Reply 108
Original post by Roshany
I was 1 UMS off in Chemistry to get an A i am doing it at A-level i just feel like i did much better than a B i don't know if i should get a remark?

You should because my chemistry was 3 ums marks of an A* and I send it to remarks!:smile:
Reply 109
usycool1
x

Changing Skies
x

MathsNerd1
x

Nirgilis
x

Hey, I got A in both Biology and Physics, but I am only 3 UMS away on both subjects from an A*.

For Physics I got
p123: 87/100 UMS A
p456 88/100 UMS A
p7 89/100 UMS A
Physics Cw: 93/100 UMS A*
Total: 357/400
Grade A

For Biology I got
b123 77/100 UMS B
b456 91/100 UMS A*
b7 97/100 UMS A*
Biology Cw: 92/100 UMS A*
Total:357/400
Grade A

I need 360 UMS for an A* and I am only 3 UMS away. Could you please help me on what to do here. I was thinking of remarking biology b123, which I thought I did better on. Also, I was thinking of remarking P123 & P456. Could you please advise me on what to do here thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Earth1
You should because my chemistry was 3 ums marks of an A* and I send it to remarks!:smile:

Thanks. i was One mark of the next grade in EVERYTHING so frustrating
Reply 111
Original post by DaGuy
Hey, I got A in both Biology and Physics, but I am only 3 UMS away on both subjects from an A*.

For Physics I got
p123: 87/100 UMS A
p456 88/100 UMS A
p7 89/100 UMS A
Physics Cw: 93/100 UMS A*
Total: 357/400
Grade A

For Biology I got
b123 77/100 UMS B
b456 91/100 UMS A*
b7 97/100 UMS A*
Biology Cw: 92/100 UMS A*
Total:357/400
Grade A

I need 360 UMS for an A* and I am only 3 UMS away. Could you please help me on what to do here. I was thinking of remarking biology b123, which I thought I did better on. Also, I was thinking of remarking P123 & P456. Could you please advise me on what to do here thanks.

You should because I am exactly 3 ums marks of Biology and Chemistry and I send them to remarks
Original post by usycool1
Firstly, you don't need an A* in GCSE Maths to do Medicine - have a look at this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements (from that page, Birmingham is the only Medical School that requires an A* in it).

Personally, I would say that in this case, there's no need to retake if you've already scored the A grade. I know it must be frustrating to not quite meet your own personal target but if you do decide to retake, there is the risk that you may fall behind with your AS levels/whatever you plan on doing next and that's not really worth it - an A grade at GCSE is still fantastic! :smile:

Good luck for tomorrow and you never know, you may have surprised yourself! :smile:

Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
Reply 113
Original post by Earth1
You should because I am exactly 3 ums marks of Biology and Chemistry and I send them to remarks

Thanks Do you have any idea if it will go up?
Original post by supergeek2411
I was predicted an A/A* , got A* in the controlled assesment , ended up with with a C overall [6 marks above a D], apparently i got a D in the germany paper wtf somehing is not right, are you getting a re-mark?

I'm definitely getting a remark on mine, good luck with yours :smile:
Just a quickie about AQA remarks, they say if your grade changes you get your money back but does this mean your overall grade or the grade of the exam that's been remarked? And does 'change' mean up or down?
Original post by TherHig
Just a quickie about AQA remarks, they say if your grade changes you get your money back but does this mean your overall grade or the grade of the exam that's been remarked? And does 'change' mean up or down?

Up

And unit or whole qualification
Up

They don't refund if it goes down? Seems unfair.
Up

Thank you so much!
Original post by O133
They don't refund if it goes down? Seems unfair.

Actually... They should shouldn't they? Maybe they do :dontknow:

I've never seen someone's grades go down, only marks
Original post by TherHig
Thank you so much!

Np

Latest