The Student Room Group

psychology vs psychology with clinical psychology

How much of a difference is there between these two courses?
Is anyone able to outline what the difference is, e.g. I looked at Kent and looked at both these courses and the only difference seemed to be 2 clinical psychology modules in year 3, although i was only reading it quickly.
Is that how minimal the difference is?

Also, if i decided to apply for psychology with clinical psychology, would my best option to be to only apply for this course, and not just 'psychology'? Would I be disadvantaged if i did this? (i plan to write in my PS that my interest in psychology stemmed from an interest in mental illness, although that can always be amended - although would that provide the link from just psychology to psychology with clinical psychology?)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :smile:

edit: i looked on ucas, and there arent actually many 'psychology with clinical psychology' degrees, so i probably wouldnt apply for it at 5 unis, so now i just need to know the difference and whether you could mix applications for psychology with clinical psychology and just psychology.
(edited 9 years ago)
You absolutely can mix courses. I applied with clinical (and placement) at Kent, then pure psychology at Bath, Loughborough (both with placement), Nottingham and Southampton (without placement). I had offers from all 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophie422
How much of a difference is there between these two courses?
Is anyone able to outline what the difference is, e.g. I looked at Kent and looked at both these courses and the only difference seemed to be 2 clinical psychology modules in year 3, although i was only reading it quickly.
Is that how minimal the difference is?

Also, if i decided to apply for psychology with clinical psychology, would my best option to be to only apply for this course, and not just 'psychology'? Would I be disadvantaged if i did this? (i plan to write in my PS that my interest in psychology stemmed from an interest in mental illness, although that can always be amended - although would that provide the link from just psychology to psychology with clinical psychology?)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :smile:

edit: i looked on ucas, and there arent actually many 'psychology with clinical psychology' degrees, so i probably wouldnt apply for it at 5 unis, so now i just need to know the difference and whether you could mix applications for psychology with clinical psychology and just psychology.

most psychology degrees are very similar in the first two years- this is when the compulsary content is covered to get BPS accreditation. Once you've learnt the basics, its often in the third year that you can take optional modules.

From what i understand, the advantage of doing a degree with clinical psychology is that you are garunteed to get onto the third year optional modules of clinical psychology. At other universities they may not offer them (this is pretty common!), or that there may be limited spaces so that your not garunteed to get on.

I would think that a PS for clinical psychology and regular psychology would be very similar, given that they are similar degrees untill the third year!

Some courses offer 4 year course where in the third year you spend a year doing work experience in psychology, and often these can be very good since experience is crucial for getting jobs once you leave university.
This isn't what you asked, but if you're interested in going to clinical psychology as a career, it is irrelevant whether your undergraduate degree is 'with clinical' or not, but a placement year offers really valuable experience that will give you an advantage over other psychology students when looking for assistant clinical psychologist posts and later applying for your doctorate. I also think that it may be advantageous to do your undergraduate degree in a department that is involved in clinical research, and/or also runs the doctorate, as there may be opportunities to work as a research assistant, which again will be good on your CV, and may also allow you to make some useful contacts. The combination of the placement year and strength of the clinical research was a big factor in why I chose the university I did, along with a high position in the league tables and excellent graduate success rates.
Reply 4
Original post by Millie1986
This isn't what you asked, but if you're interested in going to clinical psychology as a career, it is irrelevant whether your undergraduate degree is 'with clinical' or not, but a placement year offers really valuable experience that will give you an advantage over other psychology students when looking for assistant clinical psychologist posts and later applying for your doctorate. I also think that it may be advantageous to do your undergraduate degree in a department that is involved in clinical research, and/or also runs the doctorate, as there may be opportunities to work as a research assistant, which again will be good on your CV, and may also allow you to make some useful contacts. The combination of the placement year and strength of the clinical research was a big factor in why I chose the university I did, along with a high position in the league tables and excellent graduate success rates.

thanks, that info is a lot of help and i will consider a placement year. which uni did you choose? and are you finished with the degree, or what year are you in?
thanks, that info is a lot of help and i will consider a placement year. which uni did you choose? and are you finished with the degree, or what year are you in?

I am starting at the University of Bath next month, but I am a mature student and did an awful lot of research into many universities, and also know a number of clinical psychologists, so I know quite a lot about it all if you have any questions.
Reply 6
I am starting at the University of Bath next month, but I am a mature student and did an awful lot of research into many universities, and also know a number of clinical psychologists, so I know quite a lot about it all if you have any questions.

did you get A*AA? i think that is bath's requirements?

also, are they any unis for psychology you would avoid?
do the clinical psychologists you know enjoy their job?

i still dont know what i want to do but at least psychology gives me one definite career option but isnt too vocational, so i still have many other options... i only decided i wanted to do psychology a few days ago - i was basically deciding between philosophy or psychology - so basically i have only visited 3 universities for psychology and dont know which universities im going to apply to haha
did you get A*AA? i think that is bath's requirements?

also, are they any unis for psychology you would avoid?
do the clinical psychologists you know enjoy their job?

i still dont know what i want to do but at least psychology gives me one definite career option but isnt too vocational, so i still have many other options... i only decided i wanted to do psychology a few days ago - i was basically deciding between philosophy or psychology - so basically i have only visited 3 universities for psychology and dont know which universities im going to apply to haha

You couldn't get A* when I did my A levels! But you can also enter university via an Access course if you're a mature student, which is what I did, and their offer for that is 39 distinctions and I got 60.

Yes, the clinical psychologists I know love their job and are very passionate about it. If you're not sure what you want to do that's another good reason to do a course with placement if possible, as obviously that gives you experience you may not otherwise be able to get. It's hard to give recommendations of particular courses as I don't know your predicted grades or subjects, but if you want to send me a private message I'll help if I can.
Reply 8
You couldn't get A* when I did my A levels! But you can also enter university via an Access course if you're a mature student, which is what I did, and their offer for that is 39 distinctions and I got 60.

Yes, the clinical psychologists I know love their job and are very passionate about it. If you're not sure what you want to do that's another good reason to do a course with placement if possible, as obviously that gives you experience you may not otherwise be able to get. It's hard to give recommendations of particular courses as I don't know your predicted grades or subjects, but if you want to send me a private message I'll help if I can.

i would be happy to talk on here but i guess it's easier to send a message, so ill do thattt

Quick Reply

Latest