The Student Room Group

A level options help!

Hi,
I want to do law at uni, so i need to pick the right choices for a level. Originally i wanted to do RS, HISTORY, FRENCH AND ECONOMICS but i cannot do economics because of timetable issues so my options are eng lit, art, chem or sociology

i would fail art and chem so my options are sociology or eng lit

i got an a* eng lit gcse but am really weary about another heavy essay based subject so would just like opinions about which to do

English lit is best for Law, I'd go with that. It might be hard but it'll be worth it when you're pursuing your dream profession :smile:
To do law you only really need one essay based subject, you've got two right now. Sociology would be less intense if you're not looking to do so many essay based subjects. I did four and managed fine, but it's a lot of writing and was a little stressful at times. Sociology is still essay based but it's a lighter subject (imo). But ultimately go with the subject you think you can do better in.
Original post by beaverhausen
To do law you only really need one essay based subject, you've got two right now. Sociology would be less intense if you're not looking to do so many essay based subjects. I did four and managed fine, but it's a lot of writing and was a little stressful at times. Sociology is still essay based but it's a lighter subject (imo). But ultimately go with the subject you think you can do better in.

I too did 4 A2 subjects but not sure I would agree that Sociology was particularly "lighter" lol
Original post by AmyPilot
I too did 4 A2 subjects but not sure I would agree that Sociology was particularly "lighter" lol

When I said four, I meant four essay based subjects. IMO~ Social science subjects aren't that hard to get your head around in comparison to say english lit. There's a set technique with social science since there is a right answer, you don't get marks for creativity with it. That's what I meant by lighter, with english lit it can sometimes depend on the marker.
English lit is a good choice for Law students
Original post by beaverhausen
When I said four, I meant four essay based subjects. IMO~ Social science subjects aren't that hard to get your head around in comparison to say english lit. There's a set technique with social science since there is a right answer, you don't get marks for creativity with it. That's what I meant by lighter, with english lit it can sometimes depend on the marker.

Did 4 essay based subjects too - you are right that in social sciences there is more of a "right" answer as it were - but I had friends who did struggle with it and there is an awful lot of content to learn. What did you take at A2?
What a level law

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply