The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Evening folks :smile:

Hi:smile:

I can't put a :smile: I'm feeling a bit meh

ALS is getting all this attention, yet no one seems to know what it actually means and is :frown:
Original post by L'Evil Fish

ALS is getting all this attention, yet no one seems to know what it actually means and is :frown:

It sounds damn scary... :frown:
Someone just told me what I'd said on a thread has ruined their life gahhhhhhhh so awkward

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8

It's scary as ****, my God it's horrible

I kinda know my life aim though now (no, not curing it :tongue: although that might happen)

Original post by NinjaPandaa
Someone just told me what I'd said on a thread has ruined their life gahhhhhhhh so awkward

Posted from TSR Mobile

What'd you say?

Just saw lolol
(edited 9 years ago)
It's scary as ****, my God it's horrible

I kinda know my life aim though now (no, not curing it :tongue: although that might happen)

What'd you say?

Just saw lolol

I just said that with someone's gcses they weren't likely to get into lse unless they went to a poor performing school (which was true btw) imo they overreacted ahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just said that with someone's gcses they weren't likely to get into lse unless they went to a poor performing school (which was true btw) imo they overreacted ahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

5 As 5 Bs

Soz m8. Lse ain't taking you

It's not as simple as throwing a bucket of ice over your head, even though the moment of paralysis gives you a tiny inkling of how actual sufferers feel. I understand you, man.
Original post by Bude8

I read about it and... well... dayum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Smooth.
5 As 5 Bs

That's before you've accounted for the average drop of 2 grades between GCSE and A-level.
Original post by blamethenargles
It's not as simple as throwing a bucket of ice over your head, even though the moment of paralysis gives you a tiny inkling of how actual sufferers feel. I understand you, man.

Smooth.

I mean, imagine not being able to breathe... But just trying. That's horrible
5 As 5 Bs

I can't tell if you're taking the mick! Hahaha but lse are known for being keen on gcses, the guy even quoted the section that said we mainly want A*s and As so he clearly already knew the answer haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Smooth.

I said it in a nice way tbf, it wasn't intentionally harsh :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is als similar to ms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean, imagine not being able to breathe... But just trying. That's horrible

Yes! The body can't naturally suffocate, I mean if you try you will subconsciously stop yourself... It must feel like drowning. :-(
I said it in a nice way tbf, it wasn't intentionally harsh :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let their naive minds float away into the sunset... :P
Is als similar to ms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's much worse

Als destroys the neurones and is fatal. It'll totally render patient immobile

Ms is autoimmune and destroys the myelin (the coating of the neurones) so it just slows down a lot. It doesn't (often?) fully paralyse

Yes! The body can't naturally suffocate, I mean if you try you will subconsciously stop yourself... It must feel like drowning. :-(

Let their naive minds float away into the sunset... :P

Jesus :frown: omg

I'm gonna read up on it properly, the biochemistry of it

I know - it's good to spread awareness, but most people don't seem to care about what it is. They just want to see people have ice water poured over them. :frown:
It's much worse

Als destroys the neurones and is fatal. It'll totally render patient immobile

Ms is autoimmune and destroys the myelin (the coating of the neurones) so it just slows down a lot. It doesn't (often?) fully paralyse

Oh really I knew someone with ms who died a few weeks ago and that was pretty awful she was paralysed up to the neck so could do anything and I think she lost her voice box in the end :frown: really sad so I can't imagine how bad als is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LeFailFish
I know - it's good to spread awareness, but most people don't seem to care about what it is. They just want to see people have ice water poured over them. :frown:

Sorry, I'm being depressing lol

Yeah that's it, I mean someone on my feed flipped off a bridge into water to do it... Didn't even mention als

I'm glad it's getting funding though through the attention. just don't like it when they become fads and do it because everyone is

I'm going to do more research on it, even though chemistry isn't my thing but I feel we need to promote how terrible this condition is!

Oh really I knew someone with ms who died a few weeks ago and that was pretty awful she was paralysed up to the neck so could do anything and I think she lost her voice box in the end :frown: really sad so I can't imagine how bad als is

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really awful, I'm sorry for your loss :frown:
My Auntie has MS, she can't walk very well and she uses a cane and a wheelchair but she's adapted and still lives life to the full despite her disability, I admire her so much.

:console:

A lot of people are doing it without knowing much about the disease, but any publicity has got to be a good thing :smile: It's a shame that there isn't a phone number to donate to like there was with the no make-up selfies, as I imagine that quite a few people will have done the ice bucket to 'show off' without actually giving any money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear, that's horrible :redface:

I'm going to do more research on it, even though chemistry isn't my thing but I feel we need to promote how terrible this condition is!

That's really awful, I'm sorry for your loss :frown:
My Auntie has MS, she can't walk very well and she uses a cane and a wheelchair but she's adapted and still lives life to the full despite her disability, I admire her so much.

I'm sorry to hear that
I've tried tweeting a link with my big account, it's only got like 20 RTs so far... Including Anthony ogogo but vids never pick up, I think pics are needed

My life aim though now, is to create a pharmaceutical charity
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest