The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HELP PLEASE!

My GCSE Maths result is a C, however I have added up the marks compared to the correct answers without method marks and I should have scored at least 100.

A B is 95 so why the hell did I get a C?

I just sent it in for a clerical check, did I do the wrong thing?
Original post by mistypoison
HELP PLEASE!

My GCSE Maths result is a C, however I have added up the marks compared to the correct answers without method marks and I should have scored at least 100.

A B is 95 so why the hell did I get a C?

I just sent it in for a clerical check, did I do the wrong thing?

Clerical is only adding up marks.
You need to actually have it re examined
Reply 122
Original post by DaGuy
Thanks Do you have any idea if it will go up?

I don't know because Sciences have a fix mark scheme. So you might get the same marks but it worst of trying as you don't have anything to lose except money.:smile: Good luck, I hope it went up if you send them to remarks:smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Clerical is only adding up marks.
You need to actually have it re examined

Thanks, I was trying to save money but I guess I will have to go change the form to a remark!
Reply 124
usycool1
x

Changing Skies
x

MathsNerd1
x

Nirgilis
x

Just reading this, http://independenthead.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-sorry-truth-about-level-remarks.html
Is this true? It is a blog from blogspot not really a good source but if it is for a level what about gcse? :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
I got my results today i got 2 B's and 3 C's but i'm gutted because i was 2 marks away from a B in Biology and 1 mark away from a B in chemistry i spoke to my science teachers about what i should do and they told me i could get a paper remarked
Is that a good idea?
Did you do ocr geography B, I got an A in both exams and I was told my course work was an A* but the results sheet says D which has brought my grade down to a B

Posted from TSR Mobile
usycool1
x

Changing Skies
x

MathsNerd1
x

Nirgilis
x

Hello,

Could anyone please advise me as to how to convert a whole subjects UMS to Raw marks. E.g in my physics I got 344 UMS and would need 360 for an A*. How do i convert that 16 UMS difference into raw marks so I can see how far i fell short??

Many thanks
I got an A in French which I was extremely pleased about but I got a C in Unit 4 which is the writing coursework but my teacher gave me a really strong A* so I'm really confused.. Should I get it remarked since I'm close to an A* or just not risk worsening my grade
Original post by kdizzle97
I got an A in French which I was extremely pleased about but I got a C in Unit 4 which is the writing coursework but my teacher gave me a really strong A* so I'm really confused.. Should I get it remarked since I'm close to an A* or just not risk worsening my grade

You can't remark coursework really, so unfortunately no.

The chances are the exam board weren't happy with you teacher's marking (in my limited experience some teachers seem to underestimate the variety of tenses and constructions needed for and A*) and you weren't all that close to the A*. Sorry about that.
Reply 131

It may have been moderated down. :sadnod:

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to get coursework remarked. Either the whole centre's has to be remarked or no one's, so it's up to the discretion of your school if they want to get them remarked or not. :smile:

Original post by rchatburn09

Hello,

Could anyone please advise me as to how to convert a whole subjects UMS to Raw marks. E.g in my physics I got 344 UMS and would need 360 for an A*. How do i convert that 16 UMS difference into raw marks so I can see how far i fell short??

Many thanks

If you're with Edexcel or AQA, you can find their UMS converters online.

Edexcel: http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/pages/ums-mark-converter.aspx
AQA: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

Original post by Shannonmariejade
I got my results today i got 2 B's and 3 C's but i'm gutted because i was 2 marks away from a B in Biology and 1 mark away from a B in chemistry i spoke to my science teachers about what i should do and they told me i could get a paper remarked
Is that a good idea?

It's unlikely for marks to change in the sciences tbh as they are marked according to a strict markscheme. :smile:

Original post by DaGuy

Just reading this, http://independenthead.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-sorry-truth-about-level-remarks.html
Is this true? It is a blog from blogspot not really a good source but if it is for a level what about gcse? :s-smilie:

Firstly, that's also from a couple of years ago so it may not be entirely accurate...I don't know how true it is but from reading the comments, people seem to disagree with it. :smile:

Original post by DaGuy

Hey, I got A in both Biology and Physics, but I am only 3 UMS away on both subjects from an A*.

For Physics I got
p123: 87/100 UMS A
p456 88/100 UMS A
p7 89/100 UMS A
Physics Cw: 93/100 UMS A*
Total: 357/400
Grade A

For Biology I got
b123 77/100 UMS B
b456 91/100 UMS A*
b7 97/100 UMS A*
Biology Cw: 92/100 UMS A*
Total:357/400
Grade A

I need 360 UMS for an A* and I am only 3 UMS away. Could you please help me on what to do here. I was thinking of remarking biology b123, which I thought I did better on. Also, I was thinking of remarking P123 & P456. Could you please advise me on what to do here thanks.

It's probably not worth it tbh - it's unlikely (but not impossible) for marks to change in the sciences where a strict markscheme is followed. An A grade is still awesome. :smile:

Original post by Roshany
I was 1 UMS off in Chemistry to get an A i am doing it at A-level i just feel like i did much better than a B i don't know if i should get a remark?

See above - it's rare for marks to change in the sciences. However, if you are certain that you did better then you could go for it I guess. :smile:

Original post by adam.1997
Should I remark my AQA B Geography Paper 2, seeing as that gave me a C (95 UMS), whilst my controlled assessment got me an A*(92 UMS) and Paper 1 an A(128 UMS)? I was 5 UMS off an A in Geography, so is it worth it?

5 UMS is a fair amount...I personally wouldn't bother - a B grade is still very good. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You can't remark coursework really, so unfortunately no.

Original post by O133
The chances are the exam board weren't happy with you teacher's marking (in my limited experience some teachers seem to underestimate the variety of tenses and constructions needed for and A*) and you weren't all that close to the A*. Sorry about that.

Original post by usycool1
It may have been moderated down. :sadnod:

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to get coursework remarked. Either the whole centre's has to be remarked or no one's, so it's up to the discretion of your school if they want to get them remarked or not. :smile:

Thank you all for your help :smile:
Hi, I got my GCSE results today and was happy with all of them apart from History. I worked really hard in History and really wanted an A* (this was also my predicted grade). Today I recieved my results and I got an A. So I checked the grade boundaries and I am one ums mark off of an A*. Do you think I should get my History exams remarked? Thanks in advance! :smile:
i worked out that i only need 3 raw marks in my geography key themes exam to get an A* overall; since geography is quite an essay-based subject, how likely do you think it is that i'll get that A*? i feel like the exam went really well, i got an A* in my mocks, and got an A* prediction for my NASE grade too, so it's really gutting :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I do Edexcel Business Studies and I got 159/200. I'm pretty sure that an A is 160/200 so I'm probably 1 UMS from an A. I just realised it now and am wanting a remark. What should I do?
Reply 136
Original post by JadeMay
Hi, I got my GCSE results today and was happy with all of them apart from History. I worked really hard in History and really wanted an A* (this was also my predicted grade). Today I recieved my results and I got an A. So I checked the grade boundaries and I am one ums mark off of an A*. Do you think I should get my History exams remarked? Thanks in advance! :smile:

Do you plan on continuing with History after GCSEs? If not, I'd personally just leave it tbh. It can be frustrating not to quite make the grade you were hoping for but an A grade is still fantastic! However, if you feel you did better than what your grade came out to be, then you may want to consider getting one. :smile:

Original post by tanyapotter
i worked out that i only need 3 raw marks in my geography key themes exam to get an A* overall; since geography is quite an essay-based subject, how likely do you think it is that i'll get that A*? i feel like the exam went really well, i got an A* in my mocks, and got an A* prediction for my NASE grade too, so it's really gutting :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you feel that your result does not reflect your performance on the paper, I'd say that you may as well go for it. You're not too far off the next boundary so it's unlikely that your mark will drop significantly for your grade to go down. :smile:

Original post by excaliburnus
Hi! I do Edexcel Business Studies and I got 159/200. I'm pretty sure that an A is 160/200 so I'm probably 1 UMS from an A. I just realised it now and am wanting a remark. What should I do?

Indeed, 160/200 is an A. :smile:

If you want a remark, you should speak to your examinations officer to see how abouts you can get one. :smile:
Original post by usycool1
Do you plan on continuing with History after GCSEs? If not, I'd personally just leave it tbh. It can be frustrating not to quite make the grade you were hoping for but an A grade is still fantastic! However, if you feel you did better than what your grade came out to be, then you may want to consider getting one. :smile:

I'd say if you are going to continue it, then leave it. Because the AS will overrule the GCSE.
Original post by supergeek2411
Posted from TSR Mobile can anyone tell me why the ocr history gcse was so messed up? I was predicted an A , i have an A* in my controlled assessment , but only a C in the source paper, and a D in the germany/medicine paper, i ended up with a C overall, (6 marks above a D) , in the past i have always got B's in my mock exams with no revision whatsoever, i thought i smashed the exams and now i end up not even having an A never mind a B? I have noticed that quite a few peoplw are experiencing the same thing as me?

Original post by RedStar98
I'm definitely getting a remark on mine, good luck with yours :smile:

I'm getting a remark too, I got 43/50 in the coursework because my whole school was moderated down, but nothing can be done about that now! I got 59/60 in the source paper and 77/90 in the depth paper. This left me one UMS off an A*, so I'm sending the depth paper for a remark as I have got nearly full marks in every mock and the only question I felt I struggled with was one six marker and I'm sure I picked up at least 3 marks on it. Obviously I could have dropped a few without realising but its just lower than what I was expecting :frown: Hopefully it won't go down to a B, but I would have to drop 19 UMS on the one paper which I'm hoping isn't likely. Good luck to both of you, hope you get the grades you want! :tongue:
Original post by Ginger_Gymnast92
I'm getting a remark too, I got 43/50 in the coursework because my whole school was moderated down, but nothing can be done about that now! I got 59/60 in the source paper and 77/90 in the depth paper. This left me one UMS off an A*, so I'm sending the depth paper for a remark as I have got nearly full marks in every mock and the only question I felt I struggled with was one six marker and I'm sure I picked up at least 3 marks on it. Obviously I could have dropped a few without realising but its just lower than what I was expecting :frown: Hopefully it won't go down to a B, but I would have to drop 19 UMS on the one paper which I'm hoping isn't likely. Good luck to both of you, hope you get the grades you want! :tongue:

I got 45/50 36/60 47/90 and i was predicted and A lol , my whole class (15 students) ended up with C and D's except 1 B , its so ****ed up one girl got 44/50 51/60 and 38/90? How the hell does that work out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest