The Student Room Group

A Level subjects ???

Okay, so originally I had chosen Eng Lit, History, Sociology and Spanish, but then, I went to my Taster Day. There we were given a booklet with summer activites we were to do during the holidays, and it was whilst doing the Eng Lit one I realised I don't think that subject is for me. It's more analysing and finding a hidden meaning or something in the text, as far as I understand, which I don't think I'm very adept at most of the time.
The other three subjects I am fine with, it is just Eng Lit.
I was thinking and Politics and Creative Writing seem like two subjects I'd enjoy, but that would make that five subjects if I get rid of Eng Lit and I think that would be too much maybe.

Sorry for rambling, the point is this:
I have History, Sociology and Spanish, so assuming I can switch Eng Lit, would five subjects be too many? Or should I choose between Politics and Creative Writing?
I don't think having only C. Writing would be too useful because, wouldn't it be considered a soft subject? But regardless I really want to do that subject.
Any advice will be welcome, thank you!!
Reply 1
Anyone?
Five wouldn't be too many, but there is little reason to do five if you would rather just do four. Only you know how much work you are willing to put in.

Yes creative writing is fairly "soft" but honestly politics is too. Relevantly, both history and Spanish are widely considered strong options so from that perspective I wouldn't worry. None of your choices are awful.
Reply 3
Original post by ByronicHero
Five wouldn't be too many, but there is little reason to do five if you would rather just do four. Only you know how much work you are willing to put in.

Yes creative writing is fairly "soft" but honestly politics is too. Relevantly, both history and Spanish are widely considered strong options so from that perspective I wouldn't worry. None of your choices are awful.

Alright, thank you! Do you think if I did four - so, not politics - I would be alright? I don't mind doing five but I'd rather not to be honest...
I am in right mess over subject choices too! I originally wanted to History Politics Law and Philosophy but I have now changed my mind. I want to do History Economics Philosophy and Eng Lit. NIGHTMARE!
Original post by MelissaMarie
Alright, thank you! Do you think if I did four - so, not politics - I would be alright? I don't mind doing five but I'd rather not to be honest...

History, Sociology, Spanish and Creative Writing is a nice mix of two 'hard' and two 'softer' subjects, which should be fairly well regarded but not ridiculously difficult. I think you would be completely fine with those subjects. Do you have any idea what you want to do in the future with those? (It's obviously fine if you don't).

Original post by blondelocks
I am in right mess over subject choices too! I originally wanted to History Politics Law and Philosophy but I have now changed my mind. I want to do History Economics Philosophy and Eng Lit. NIGHTMARE!

Your second set of choices are much better in my opinion - Law is a very weak subject and replacing it with English Lit makes your subject choices much stronger.

That would be completely fine.
Original post by LeFailFish
History, Sociology, Spanish and Creative Writing is a nice mix of two 'hard' and two 'softer' subjects, which should be fairly well regarded but not ridiculously difficult. I think you would be completely fine with those subjects. Do you have any idea what you want to do in the future with those? (It's obviously fine if you don't).

Your second set of choices are much better in my opinion - Law is a very weak subject and replacing it with English Lit makes your subject choices much stronger.

I was totally clueless about the importance of A-level choices when I signed up which is embarrassing and unfortunate because I'm not 100% sure they'll let me change them. I hope very much that they will!

I'm thinking that if all goes well at AS then I would keep History, Economics and Philosophy for A2. Do you think those choices are strong enough or do you believe I should replace either economics or philosophy for the more traditional Eng literature?
Original post by blondelocks
I was totally clueless about the importance of A-level choices when I signed up which is embarrassing and unfortunate because I'm not 100% sure they'll let me change them. I hope very much that they will!

I'm thinking that if all goes well at AS then I would keep History, Economics and Philosophy for A2. Do you think those choices are strong enough or do you believe I should replace either economics or philosophy for the more traditional Eng literature?

Any of those subjects will, broadly, be fine. The choice will rest on what you plan to study going forward.
Original post by ByronicHero
Any of those subjects will, broadly, be fine. The choice will rest on what you plan to study going forward.

Ok thanks!
Original post by LeFailFish

Yeah, I mean I think I'll not be going to uni, I think I'll do a HNC or something, I'm not sure yet. I just don't want to have subjects that wouldn't let me do much.
This is a link to Trinity College Cambridge's list of most widely accepted a-level combinations; as long as you follow this guide, you should be able to get a place at any UK university :smile: (I used their advice and am now due to start at Oxford in October!)
Yeah, I mean I think I'll not be going to uni, I think I'll do a HNC or something, I'm not sure yet. I just don't want to have subjects that wouldn't let me do much.

Well those subjects should leave your options fairly open. Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest