The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mhsc
[video="youtube;mrEBZmE5LyM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrEBZmE5LyM[/video]

What a legend :')
What a signing BR! Balotelli up front is a brilliant choice! ... So what if he has issues ... didn't Suarez? ... He'll show himself against his former club this weekend if he's legible ... mark my words!
Original post by Yesss I diddd
Well we're in the market for a striker, as you can see with the links to Falcao.
Eto'o's goals and goals/assists per 90 were excellent last year, and why not ask 'if Sturridge couldn't do it there why is he doing it for us?'

Lol, your summary sentence contradicts the one before

No, you can see that Rodgers is targeting attacking players who are versatile. Bony does not fit that and he could only play number 9 - he's not better than Sturridge so we shouldn't be buying him.

Well the Falcao deal isn't happening because he's too expensive.
Eto'o scoring was like 1 in 3? If he did so great, why did Mourinho let him go to bring back a 36 year old Drogba?
Original post by jam278
Sturridge is a completely different situation to Eto'o. Eto'o played games in his preferred position because while he wasn't a big money signing, he was a big name signing and Mourinho's choice. Sturridge wasn't. AVB played him on the wing because he knew he had a quality player and Drogba+Torres were always going to play above him that season. Torres needing time e.g. to prove his worth(even though he is worthless) and Drogba being Drogba.

Eto'o would do well as a second striker but he now lacks the pace to get past defensive lines, so he almost acts as a false 9. He's good good link up play and Hazard tended to do better when he was the striker as he could feed off him.

The only issue Eto'o has is that he's no longer good enough to be the main striker, but he's more than good enough as a 2nd striker.

It was just a basic point about one man's treasure is another man's trash etc. Just because Eto'o looked average (whilst performing good to excellent statistically) for Chelsea doesn't mean that he'd be average for us. We play in a completely different style to Chelsea, with different demands on the players, a different manager and a different role for Eto'o here, there's nothing to suggest he wouldn't be an adequate back up striker here.
Original post by Zerforax
No, you can see that Rodgers is targeting attacking players who are versatile. Bony does not fit that and he could only play number 9 - he's not better than Sturridge so we shouldn't be buying him.

Well the Falcao deal isn't happening because he's too expensive.
Eto'o scoring was like 1 in 3? If he did so great, why did Mourinho let him go to bring back a 36 year old Drogba?

Why were we interested in Bony and only put off by his wage demands? Why were we interested in Falcao? Why has Rodgers said numerous times that he wants a 'striker' and not a 'winger', 'wide forward' or 'forward'?

Quite a few outlets reported that we'd be willing to pay the Falcao price. It might not be happening because he's returning from an ACL or wasn't all that brilliant at Monaco last season pre-ACL. Leave aside '1 in 3' and look at per 90 statistics (iirc scoring once every 140m, or 2 goals in 3 games). What good is it to anyone to say 1 in 3 if he appears in three games but they're all 10 minute cameos.
Reply 525
It was just a basic point about one man's treasure is another man's trash etc. Just because Eto'o looked average (whilst performing good to excellent statistically) for Chelsea doesn't mean that he'd be average for us. We play in a completely different style to Chelsea, with different demands on the players, a different manager and a different role for Eto'o here, there's nothing to suggest he wouldn't be an adequate back up striker here.

I think Eto'o was underrated at Chelsea. He had a good goal scoring record and good link up play. But I don't see the point getting him if we get Balotelli. We have Lambert for 3rd choice (and maybe Borini but he'll probably leave). Eto'o's wages are pretty high for a guy who is barely going to play.
Why were we interested in Bony and only put off by his wage demands? Why were we interested in Falcao? Why has Rodgers said numerous times that he wants a 'striker' and not a 'winger', 'wide forward' or 'forward'?

Quite a few outlets reported that we'd be willing to pay the Falcao price. It might not be happening because he's returning from an ACL or wasn't all that brilliant at Monaco last season pre-ACL. Leave aside '1 in 3' and look at per 90 statistics (iirc scoring once every 140m, or 2 goals in 3 games). What good is it to anyone to say 1 in 3 if he appears in three games but they're all 10 minute cameos.

Because foremost we need a good striker to cover for when Sturridge may be out injured or out of form. However out of all the attacking players that Rodgers has signed, which player has been limited to one position? He's even developed players like Sterling to be more versatile.

Why did Chelsea/Mourinho decide to ditch a 33 year old Eto'o for a 36 year old Drogba?

Why did Chelsea/Mourinho decide to ditch a 33 year old Eto'o for a 36 year old Drogba?

Why did Jose think it was a good idea to sell Lukaku and Ba while keeping Fernando Torres?
Because foremost we need a good striker to cover for when Sturridge may be out injured or out of form. However out of all the attacking players that Rodgers has signed, which player has been limited to one position? He's even developed players like Sterling to be more versatile.

Sterling played at CAM at youth level, it's not Rodgers that's done loads of the development in that case. And obviously Brendan loves versatility but that doesn't stack up with him aiming for Eto'o, Bony, Falcao, links to Cavani, only mentioning the term 'striker', etc. It's not incomprehensible that he'd sign a striker.

Why did Jose ditch Lukaku last summer? Why did he repeatedly play Torres when Ba was clearly a better player? Why was Lukaku sold this year instead of being given a chance? Why was Eto'o removed after a season in which he scored at a goal every 1.5 games? Why did Chelsea sell Sturridge? Why did Mou not just bother buying the striker he wanted last summer? There's a million questions about his/Chelsea's treatment of strikers and none of them should concern you. All that should is whether Eto'o is a good player and a good fit for us.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cBay
I think Eto'o was underrated at Chelsea. He had a good goal scoring record and good link up play. But I don't see the point getting him if we get Balotelli. We have Lambert for 3rd choice (and maybe Borini but he'll probably leave). Eto'o's wages are pretty high for a guy who is barely going to play.

The discussion started from why Balo was signed, not really to do with Eto'o, but tbh if Rodgers wants him, then I don't mind. 75k is a lot but we're not short of money and he offers something different to Lambert. 75k IS a lot I agree
Original post by jam278
Why did Jose think it was a good idea to sell Lukaku and Ba while keeping Fernando Torres?

Mourinho doesn't like Lukaku's attitude and Lukaku wanted regular first team football + refused to sign a new contract - the Everton offer was big in that context.

No one is willing to buy Torres due to his current huge contract. Ba they could shift off their books but Chelsea would probably still pay at least 100k a week to Torres even if he left the club. That or Abramovich refuses to let him go yet.
Reply 531

Now lets just sign Di Maria (joking but kinda not joking)
(edited 9 years ago)
GK: Mignolet, B.Jones
RB: Johnson, Manquillo, Flanagan
LB: Moreno, Enrique
CB: Lovren, Sakho, Agger, Skrtel, Toure, Coates
CM: Gerrard, Henderson, Can, Allen, Lucas
Attacking: Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic
ST: Sturridge, Balotelli, Lambert, Borini

I expect Assaidi to be sold. Expect Ibe and Suso to go on loan (Suso might be sold?). You imagine one CB will be sold, possibly two or Coates goes on loan again. I would love it if we could keep Agger for one season (let Toure go) and make a really push with some proper depth.

I do think if we sell Borini we should bring in one more attacking player (or keep Suso/Ibe?). If we're going to regularly play with 3 man midfield, I do wonder if we're a player short? Currently 13 players for 6 outfield mid/attack positions.

Have to say it's been a great transfer window where we've been decisive. Ayre/Rodgers/the committee have all done a great job.
Aside from Balotelli's issues, I'm more confident going into this season with Balotelli starting our matches if Sturridge is out injured (or being rested) than Lambert, who always will be our hoof the ball option.
(edited 9 years ago)
Will people still be doing daily squad lists after the transfer window has closed and the players have been registered already?

Genuine question.
Original post by jam278
Will people still be doing daily squad lists after the transfer window has closed and the players have been registered already?

Genuine question.

Hopefully they're a great tool for keeping us fans up to date with our rivals squad situations.

I hope to see the emphasis switch to more preferred fixture lists and preferred champions league fixtures over time though
:rofl2:
GK: Mignolet, B.Jones
RB: Johnson, Manquillo, Flanagan
LB: Moreno, Enrique
CB: Lovren, Sakho, Agger, Skrtel, Toure, Coates
CM: Gerrard, Henderson, Can, Allen, Lucas
Attacking: Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic
ST: Sturridge, Balotelli, Lambert, Borini

I expect Assaidi to be sold. Expect Ibe and Suso to go on loan (Suso might be sold?). You imagine one CB will be sold, possibly two or Coates goes on loan again. I would love it if we could keep Agger for one season (let Toure go) and make a really push with some proper depth.

I do think if we sell Borini we should bring in one more attacking player (or keep Suso/Ibe?). If we're going to regularly play with 3 man midfield, I do wonder if we're a player short? Currently 13 players for 6 outfield mid/attack positions.

Have to say it's been a great transfer window where we've been decisive. Ayre/Rodgers/the committee have all done a great job.

I think we should sell Borini and keep Suso as you mentioned. I even expect that to happen—I'm sure Suso came out not so long ago and said he'd spoken with BR about his plans for the season, and that he was excited to push for a place?
Balotelli personal terms agreed, flying to UK to have medical £110k/wk according to the Echo.

Last night English media reported that LFC wanted him to agree to behavioural clauses.

Italian media saying he'll sign tomorrow.
Original post by jam278

Genuine question.

Nah but there will be plenty of proposed formations/XI's for the matches. It's just to see where the obvious gaps are in the squad - why does it cause so much offence? :colondollar:

Original post by mr tim
Balotelli personal terms agreed, flying to UK to have medical £110k/wk according to the Echo.

Last night English media reported that LFC wanted him to agree to behavioural clauses.

Italian media saying he'll sign tomorrow.

Least it's happened quickly. Haha that's quite funny - wonder if we took that off Barca with the infamous bite clause in Suarez' new contract.

Quick Reply

Latest